Level-5 Wants To Make Another Professor Layton Title

Posted by Andy Green

The series may not be over just yet

Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies is the last game in the prequel trilogy and is heading to European shores this year, while North Americans will get their puzzle fix in 2014.

It's been out in Japan since February and is largely seen as the last ever Professor Layton title, although that may not necessarily be the case as Level-5 President Akihiro Hino revealed at the Japan Expo earlier this month he wants to make a brand new Layton adventure.

Hino said he is pleased with the latest release but doesn't want the series to come to an end just yet. Should Level-5 create another title, Hino would like to include a host of new challenges for the legendary scholar to complete.

At the same event, Hino also confirmed something was "in the works" regarding the localisation of Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, but couldn't give any further details.

It looks like the Professor Layton franchise may not be over after all. Will you be hoping for more after Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via animenewsnetwork.com]

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

As far as I remember, they never said the series would end after the sixth installment. They just wanted to let the Professor retire, leaving the possibility of further sequels without Layton himself, and as far as I can tell, this "news" doesn't contradict that notion or bring anything new to this subject.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Great idea, maybe cross it with, let's say, Ace Attorney, and then bring it to Europe, together with Time Travellers. Oh and one important detail: DON'T make it download-only!

And make it English, spare yourselves the cost of Dutch trans-Laytons. Here in Flanders we only got Dutch versions and I hate that. So far, I only played the Curious Village, because it was in 'Inglish'.

player310

player310 said:

Anybody catch "Layton Brothers" for iOS?? It's by Level-5 and is not the same Layton gameplay, but there are mysteries to be solved...

PSI_King

PSI_King said:

Wow,I'm suprised @Prof_Clayton hasn't commented on this article yet. :P
Anyway,I've never really played a Layton Game before. Looks nice,I would love to play one.

psuboy172

psuboy172 said:

o god...........so excited. One of my favorite franchises ever. I really hope we get Layton vs Wright.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Think the Dragon Quest are the best games they have done. Rather have anything else they have done than Professor Layton (Time Travellers / Inazuma Eleven).

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

They should keep them coming, but give it a good break. Although an excellent series, the speed these games have been coming out at has almost been guitar hero-esque!...

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

You certainly won't hear any complaints from me! I loved playing The Last Specter and wouldn't mind diving further into this series.

Also, as someone else has said, I wonder when they will bring Youkai Watch to the west. That game is looking amazing and it would be a shame if it wasn't released outside of Japan. I'll remain hopeful for now at least.

SilveRFanTasy

SilveRFanTasy said:

Please Wii U Professor Layton!!! It would really work amazing on that console. And it would even have room for some new ideas cause of the hardware. Make it happen :)

Beta

Beta said:

Oh, yes! I was soooooo sad hearing this was supposed to be our beloved gentleman's last adventure :'(

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I really like Layton games but they need yo take a break. They're too similar to keep releasing them on a yearly basis.

Oh, and bring Layton vs AA to the west.

And Time Travellers.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

This is the best thing that has ever been said ever in history. Nothing has ever made me happier.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Also, in response to the series needing a break... Well, it's not like they have much replay value, once I've solved a puzzle I know the answer (unless I get amnesia), so what else will I do? Sure, there's other game series I play, but as a big fan, well... There's no really alternatives to this game. Sure, there's other puzzle games but they rarely have the variety of the Layton puzzles so they can get repetitive quite quickly. It's not like Guitar Hero, which was all about replay value so you can continue to replay the same one for a couple years. For a fan like me, nothing is more exciting than a Layton release and the couple weeks I get out of a new Layton game is the best time of the year!

Of course, I do understand it's not the most popular series ever, I just really don't the series to take a break. I already have to wait long enough for Metroid, Kingdom Hearts, and Smash Bros, Layton is the only series I love that I have gotten fairly consistently and I am really hoping this means we'll get more of it!

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Level-5, please stop toying with my feelings like this. I'm glad to hear there may be more Layton, but stop playing with my heart like a yo-yo. Thanks!

Daggo

Daggo said:

"Introducing Luke Triton as the Professor!"
Professor Triton would be good enough :)

(Meanwhile L5 please release Youkai Watch overseas!!!)

(And Cardboard Senki!)

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

A Professor Layton and Rhythm Thief crossover is something I would like, but after some events, that seems unlikely.

KodyWB-98

KodyWB-98 said:

When I first heard this news, I can't remember just how excited I was. If the series does move onto the Wii U, however, I'd also like it to remain on the 3DS.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

What? @Prof_Clayton hasn't commented yet? He must have died from the shock of the announcement. Who will lead the Swapnote Battle League now?

Oops, missed his comment. Carry on~

NotEnoughGolds

NotEnoughGolds said:

Layton? More LAYTON?
Level-5, do you even remember making Dark Cloud or Dark Cloud 2?
You seem to never ever ever ever mention it.

wober2

wober2 said:

I want an hd collection for the wiiu of the past games!!! :D Plus new games with a cross play potential... yes please!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Great news. Professor Layton is one of the most charming video game series I've ever played. Here's hoping an eventual next trilogy comes to the Wii U.

RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle said:

I'd love for them to make a seventh game, set after 'Lost Future' to tie up any loose ends and finish it there on a high.