3D Ecco The Dolphin Splashing Onto 3DS eShop, Galaxy Force II Coming Soon

Posted by Damien McFerran

They're doing this on porpoise

Sega has confirmed that the next entry in its 3D range will be Ecco The Dolphin. A port of the Mega Drive / Genesis original, the game will feature a 3D effect, save states, international editions of the game and some custom screen filters.

Ecco will splash into the Japanese 3DS eShop on June 26th, with a retail price of 600 Yen. Sega has also revealed that Galaxy Force II will be getting the 3D treatment soon, but has not revealed any further details.

Excitingly, the official site now has two additional "mystery" titles. Personally, we're hoping for Golden Axe, Outrun, Alien Storm, Afterburner or Super Monaco GP.

Sega has so far released Super Hang-On, Space Harrier, Sonic The Hedgehog and Altered Beast on the 3DS. All of these games are currently exclusive to Japan, but western releases are expected soon.

In the meantime, why not check out our video preview of the titles available so far? It can be found below these very words.

[via archives.sega.jp]

Related Games

YorkshireNed

YorkshireNed said:

WANT! but hope they port the Mega-CD version not the Megadrive version. Extra levels and better music!

Xilef

Xilef said:

I'm hoping for Streets of Rage 2, Ristar or Phantasy Star 4. And, you, i want these games to make it over here.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

I knew it was coming Ecco in 3D was too good a concept to pass on, just hope it comes to US

Raiko

Raiko said:

They do look good. A shame there doesn't seem to be true widescreen support, like there is with Sonic CD on XBLA.

SyntheticPerson

SyntheticPerson said:

Ecco is one of my favourite games. I won't pass up the opportunity to get this [once it is available in Europe].

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

That's one awesome Ecco. Love "Galaxy Force ][" btw, it's probably along with "Afterburner" my favourite SEGA arcade sprite scaling game:

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

OutRun (my favourite game of all time) would have likely have the 'Ferrari' issue, but they could use the generic car from the Dreamcast Shenmue version. Japanese Saturn version will always be the best OutRun. As a long time SEGA fan, I'd almost certainly buy all of these.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

One thing I do miss about Sega consoles were those weirdly wonderful games that would occasionally surface. Echo the Dolphin was a fascinating experience when I was a kid, and I hope it comes to the U.S. so I can re-live the magic.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

Such a unique and memorable game.I actually completed the original back in the day and can remember skiving off school to do so.At that time I thought I had just beaten the greatest game ever made,a masterpiece that may never be beaten.I played it again not long ago and unfortunately it's not aged too well but still well worth experiencing,especially in 3D.What I didn't realise until I played it again was how bloody hard it is.So fair play to a younger me even if it was to the detriment of my education :-)

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'd consider buying Ecco the Dolphin eventually. It looks interesting after all.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I'm glad Sega didn't stop after 4. I'm interested in seeing what else they decide to remake.

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

Are Super Hang-On, Space Harrier and Altered Beast, Outrun, & Afterburner going to be the Arcade versions or Megadrive versions ? brought to the 3DS.

Volmun

Volmun said:

id love to have Ecco The Dolphin on my 3DS i love both the original games (never got to play Ecco Jr)

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@XyVoX I asked this here a while ago about Super Hang-On.It's the arcade versions,at least for Super Hang-On anyway.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

I want Outrun, Galaxy Force II and Afterburner. I've never played any before so they will be all new for me.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

Wow! I'd totally get Ecco in 3D! And Golden Axe if they decide to do that. I bet Sonic looks pretty cool as well. Hopefully Nintendo starts doing 3D Classics again!

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Just look at my avatar (while it's still Ristar), that's the game Sega should make into a 3D version of it cause yeah, Ristar is awesome.

(Also, Streets of Rage 2 3D would be nice)

MeWario

MeWario said:

I would pay a hundred dollars for Wonderboy 3 on 3DS!!! Please make it happen SEGA! Ecco 3D sounds cool :)

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

I want them all also namco should do Tue same with splatter house (or so I remember the name)

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

Any 3D Wonder boy or Streets of Rage games would be amazing. What about a 3D version of the free snail game you got on the Master System, haha.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

@Damo

They're doing this on PORPOISE! Haha, nice one!

Umm, I never got past the second level of Ecco on my Genesis. :P