KORG M01D Music Workstation Hitting 3DS eShop This Summer

Posted by Damien McFerran

What sweet music you'll make

Some of you may fondly recall KORG DS-10, a "musical workstation" for your humble Nintendo DS. If you enjoyed making bizarre aural creations with this cult release then you'll be please to learn that it's getting a sequel for the 3DS eShop, entitled KORG M01D.

Essentially a souped-up version of the DS original, KORG M01D will allow for 24 different "voices", tunes with up to 99 "scenes" using the 8 track, 64 step sequencer and a library of 342 unique sounds. You'll also be able to save MIDI song files to console's SD card, allowing for easy distribution and sharing.

KORG M01D won't come cheap, though — it's expected to cost 3,000 yen (approximately $30 / £20) when it launches in Japan this May. A western release is being arranged for Summer.

Is this music to your ears? Tell us by posting a comment below.

[via siliconera.com]

Squashie

Squashie said:

I am not musically talented in the slightest, but I do enjoy messing round with things like this. However, if the price is too high, I'll be avoiding!

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Must buy! BTW: this is NOT the successor to DS-10 (which modelled the MS-20 synth.) but an upgraded version of the M01 digital workstation software. As far as i know that was only released in Japan

edhe

edhe said:

I like the sound of being able to export the game on an SD card. Rytmik's method - connecting the DS up to a computer with a 3.5mm jack, having to balance the sounds and recording it into an audio program was far from idea.

A bit expensive, but if it has a synthesiser and much more samples, I'd seriously consider dropping £20.

If they release it in Europe. That BASIC code program was promised for Europe and never came.

robbleshague

robbleshague said:

Awesome!

The price seems fair to me. There's less fully featured Korg gadgetry out there at twice the price.

kenzo

kenzo said:

Yay, this is very big news.

Looking forward to jammin with this.

It may be even get a cult following if used in a music video too.

Google ' Daft Punk korg DS '.

Tony3DS

Tony3DS said:

@Damo Great tagline Damien! Ah the 90’s! Us children of the night...I, I mean nineties, remember Winona Ryder when she was a cool actress and before she stole that stuff!

daggdroppen

daggdroppen said:

cool, if the sounds and the tweakings are better than in M01 i will buy this!! otherwise i think the DS10 was better than M01 in every way. besides the sequencer that was best in M01 =)

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

MIDI files direct to SD card makes this an insta-buy for me.

I've used Mix Superstar for making free music for my short films, so this kind of software is a Godsend for me.

siavm

siavm said:

If this was $10 to $15 I might have got it but past that is a no no to me. Hopefully they will have a sale that puts it around the price I will pay.

daggdroppen

daggdroppen said:

its to bad its the same as the M01 besides the MIDI support.. couldnt they have put some more effort and take advanteged of the 3DS power? :/

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Oh.... crap. I have four (4!) copies of the KORG DS-10, and 4 DSes on which to make music. Now I have no choice but to finally buy the 3DS that I've been putting off forever. YAY!

By the way... if you're actually interested in making music, $30 is NOT a lot of money for something like this, especially considering how the DS-10 rivals some of the physical synthesizers I've owned.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

I have two copies of KORG DS-10 Synthesizer. Need this new one. Hope it has more preset sounds, and more than 16 patterns to save, and more than just 15 save slots. Wii U eShop version would be fantastic as well.

daggdroppen

daggdroppen said:

this is not equally excellent as the DS10! of course it will be worth buying.. but it will be nothing like the DS10.. so dont expect that!

daggdroppen

daggdroppen said:

it has around 350 presets.. but none of them are as the DS10s presets of course.. this has a sequncer with 99 patterns to save. so dont worry about the 16 pattern limit :P

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

Nice! I'll be picking this up. I fooled around with the DS-10 when on mini tours back in the day. Still have it, as well. I actually plugged the DS in during shows a few times ;) Sadly I haven't played keys in a couple years for a plethora of reasons, and now my awesome keyboards just sit in the basement collecting dust.

NiBar

NiBar said:

Wow, this is great news and it's actually very cheap for such an amazing music workstation. It's much better than Rytmik.

mrkuribo

mrkuribo said:

That price is fair considering that this is a fully featured workstation based on the legendary M1-synth. This is not anything like Rytmik, which is very basic for serious music-making. Saving the MIDI-files on a SD-card means that it's also possible to continue working with the files on your computer software. Great. Definitely getting this as soon as it's released over here.

Shane904

Shane904 said:

Wish it was cheaper. I like the MIDI export though... wish the DS-10 Plus had that.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

@felix330 Good question. I'd like to know that as well. While not a deal breaker, it would help soften the blow of that price tag.

ramstrong

ramstrong said:

Instant download for me. Not for jamming, but for musical composition, it is excellent.

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

HELL YES! This thing was a beast on DS, can not wait for this. It'll be so much easier now that we can export!

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

THIS IS COMPLETELY AWESOME!!!!!!! I imported the Korg M01 Cart form Japan when it released - it as superb piece of software - Sano DG, the creator is a complete genius! I will be getting htis definitely for all the new features! BTE this price is exceedingly cheap and worth every penny. . . BUy Buy BUy!

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

Definitely going to buy this. It seems that whenever I'm away from home, I come up with a good song idea, but I don't have my computer and composing software to take note of it, causing me to forget the idea. That price seems very reasonable to me.

DangerousDreams

DangerousDreams said:

Ha how funny, I was just about to look for another ds korg10 on amazon. This is a day one eshop download for me. It just sucks that my 3ds xl has 50% the volume output of my old 3ds. I guess I'll have to invest in some quality head/ear phones.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

So this can do more then just "lay down sick beats"? If it can actually make music, as the video seems to show, then I might pick it up.

MrAndrewJ

MrAndrewJ said:

I guess I'll be the grouch. Exporting to MIDI is actually a nice step up, but I have an Android app that will also export to MIDI. The $8 Android App also exports to .wav and .ogg, so I can effectively export loops into FLStudio, or even create entirely new songs while out and about.
I am excited that the interface looks more familiar and comfortable. It looks good and the rhythm instruments sounded great. I like a lot, but export to any audio format would have been the deal-maker.

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

@kurtasbestos - I have 8 copies of Korg DS10+ !!! all imported from USA to UK along with 2 x US DSi and 1 x US 3DS! - just to compose and gig with DS10+ Professional level music making
Korg M01 - i imported form Japan 2 copies and use both programs side by side in recording and Gigging

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

@ThreadShadow - You can compose Symphonies on this or Jazz masterpieces - each note can be adjusted individually volume and gate-wise and has superb polyphony - seperate mutes adjustable in real time and you can jump from pattern to pattern on the sequencer - The voices you can adjust slightly with reverb and attack . . . The drum bank is amazing as are the piano sounds - there are a few dody '80's' sounds but also some incredible ones.
Beethoven would have loved to have had this piece of software. .