AckkStudios: Two Brothers Won't Be Coming To 3DS

Posted by Andy Green

Expect more Project Y2K news in the Summer

AckkStudios is currently working on bringing Two Brothers to several platforms including the Wii U eShop, PC, Mac, Linux and Xbox 360.

In a recent interview with Gamenesia, Andrew Allanson, a producer at the company, revealed it would be bringing the title to iOS and Android and that it was in talks about porting it to PlayStation 3 and 4 as well as the Vita.

However, those hoping for a 3DS release will be disappointed to learn that it probably won't happen:

3DS is harder, as it doesn't support our code base, and would require a complete remake. We would love to make a 3DS game as some point though.

As previously reported, the studio is also developing a top-secret game known as Project Y2K, which is a 3D RPG. According to Allanson, it is "heavily inspired by the Mother series" but it refrains from "stealing anything from it". He went on to say screens should begin to crop up in Summer and it will be playable at next year's PAX East.

Are you looking forward to Two Brothers? What are your thoughts on Ackkstudios' next Earthbound-inspired game? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

[via gamnesia.com]

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

Oh no, now we can't have pointless 3D added to their budget!1!!! Yeah, this is fine. Also Wii U needs it more anyway.

Two Brothers looks more and more like a phenomenal game. Not hyperbole, there is a distinct possibility this could be one of the best games of the year.

DimetriWarrior

DimetriWarrior said:

@kkslider5552000

"Oh no, now we can't have pointless 3D added to their budget!1!!!"

Like all 3DS games need 3D. ): O What about those who want to play it on the go and don't have a PS Vita???

Sorry for that, but I'm tired of everyone thinking that a game needs to be 3D to be on the 3DS. Virtual Console??? Those are on the 3DS and they don't have ANY 3D (despite Original Resolution mode and 3D Classics)!!!

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

Oh god. I was scared from the title at first, thinking it wasn't coming to Wii U after all, but then I saw the 3DS part and was relieved.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

not a huge loss, atleast they weren't slating the 3DS like so many others who can't port a game

Ryno

Ryno said:

I think I want this game. I love the original GameBoy vibe.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Aw, and I really wanted to play this, but I can't afford a WiiU or a smartphone. 3DS is the only current gaming platform I have.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

so they bothered to make a crappy monochrome gameboy game, but its not going to ever be available on a gameboy? that is really really stupid. and good lord why no full color? even if its gotta be gameboy graphics, seriously, no color??

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Why is the first reaction people have 'Oh I wouldn't like this game, no big loss'. Seriously? Stop pretending games not coming to the system is a good thing. When it gets to the point where there are plenty of games skipping a system (This is obviously directed at the Wii U) then it doesn't matter whether or not you'd have played all of the games - it affects you negatively regardless.

Obviously this has little to do with this article but the stupidity levels were reaching high levels over a range of similar ones.

FernandoMachado

FernandoMachado said:

I hate when THE SAME GAME comes out to Wii U and 3DS. Usually one version is much better than the other and kills the point in getting both.

I like what they did with Lego City Undercover, tho. Two DIFFERENT experiences makes me wanna get both! :D

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Well... this is quite ironic as this seemed a perfect game for the 3DS, but the reason is as simple as understandable.

Still curious to hear how this game will score, at least for know how good these guys are since they are working on WiiU and wish to make something for 3DS one day.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

@evanescent_hero - "This is obviously directed at the Wii U" also "Obviously this has little to do with this article...". You really should read my whole post before trying to respond sarcastically to it.

There have been ~10 articles similar to this one recently whereby some of the most prevalent comments were those that I described above. The fact that I'm responding to it all on this article means nothing.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

In all honesty, I think it's better if a game like Two Brothers is to come to Wii U's eShop instead of the 3DS's eShop. Not trying to point fingers or anything, but I always keep hearing a lot that Wii U is lacking A LOT in the digital department when it comes to Wii U Download titles. This game really has me interested OVERALL.

Nareva

Nareva said:

I'm looking forward to this one. I love the retro design and the game looks great. Here's to hoping it plays great as well.

evanescent_hero

evanescent_hero said:

@Geonjaha I did read your whole comment, and I wasn't being sarcastic. What was the point of doing it on this article, when by your own admission, it has nothing to do with this particular article, nor the platform the article is discussing?

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

Given that games on the 3DS eShop seem to be getting pretty good sales figures (like Gunman Clive on 3DS outselling the iOS and Android versions combined) it seems like a missed opportunity for the devs.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@Geonjaha i don't think the comments are actually hating on the game itself. They were just slightly disappointed that there's no 3ds version of the game.

If you wanna look up true "hate game because system no go" comments, look up the fez and dead island riptide articles. We were total idiots over there.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

@mariobro4 To be fair, Dead Island and Fez really honestly don't interest me in the slightest even with my not high standards for gaming. Wake me up when people don't want Bioshock on the system, then we'll have something.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm on the fence whether I'm going to buy this game or not... Guess I'll wait for NL's review.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

New trailer looks awesome.

Why should great Wii U games come to 3DS? It should be the other way round: Great 3DS games should come to the Wii U, where you can have better visuals and a bigger screen.
But I see where you come from, Two Brothers looks like a Game Boy game, so it naturally would be a great fit on a Nintendo handheld. But I always prefered playing my Game Boy games on the SNES Super Game Boy and Gamecube GBA Player, so I'm all good with my Wii U version.

BennyFresh

BennyFresh said:

I saw this game at PAX and it was really neat. I literally have a sticker for it on my 3DS game case, so kind of a bummer that I won't be able to play it on there.

Volmun

Volmun said:

@ouroborous the story to the game is about restoring colour to there world — im glad to see this game isn't forgotten lol im looking foreword to it.