Shovel Knight Closing In On Kickstarter Goal

Posted by Orla Madden

17 days left to reach its target

Two weeks ago, Yacht Club Games said it was hoping to bring Shovel Knight to the Wii U and 3DS. Three days later, it had been confirmed that both versions will see a release.

The 2D platformer is the studio's first title, and is currently hoping to reach its Kickstarter goal of $75,000. At the time of writing, the project has secured $60,326, with 17 days to go.

The game is described as "a hot mashup of new and old that may remind you of Mega Man, Castlevania, or Dark Souls". What are your thoughts on Shovel Knight? Will you dig deep to support the game? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via kickstarter.com]

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

That looks pretty cool. I don't think I'm going to donate though, I'm not sure if I would buy it.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Still say it looks nothing like castlevania and the character moves like ghosts and goblins! Looks like lots of fun though!

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

I'd kickstart if they hadn't reached their goal a day before the end. But only if i could get a code for the game without having to pay more than it will cost in the eShop. :|

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

I'm glad to see coverage of this game continue and help it get funded. It makes me wonder, though, how many games are going unfunded for lack of getting lucky to catch someone's eye who can get the word out.

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

I played it at PAX and it's phenomenal. The graphics are sharp, the music is top-notch and it's a WHOLE lot of fun to play. Really, the game I'd most compare it to is Ducktales, which is weird since Capcom just announced a remastered version of THAT (which I ALSO played, and that is also phenomenal). Shovel Knight was my game of the show (as my full set of pins I got from their booth can attest) and I really, REALLY hope it hits Wii U. You guys are gonna LOVE this when it comes out.

Azikira

Azikira said:

I've already dropped $15 their way, so I can secure my Wii U version. :3

Did the same thing with Cryamore too, actually.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Backed this, but I don't think I upgraded to $15 yet... checking... actually I did. Good.

It will make it, I'm sure, but it feels good to support the type of stuff you like. :)

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Well actually it reminds me of Castlevania, Mega Man and DuckTales. :3
Have they actually mentioned what they need this backing for though? It definitely isn't a kickstart seeing as the game looks to be pretty much finished at this point. Kickstarter is being used less and less for actually kickstarting projects and more for indies trying to get away from publishers.

End Note: They're using sealed dirt as one of the rewards...ok.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

These Kickstarters seem to more often than not reach their targets.Just looked to see how Ecco Big Blue was doing,2 days ago it had only $300 out of the target $665,000.Today it has $37,440 with 431 backers.What I don't understand though is that averages out at just under $87 each backer.Who in their right mind would donate that sort of cash for a title that is currently only intended for PC,Mac,IOS and Android?It even has a couple of backers who've pledged over $1000.Crazy stuff!

gsnap

gsnap said:

This looks like one of the better kickstarters. I'll be picking up the Wii U version for sure.

Toad64

Toad64 said:

Like Spacekappa, I got a chance to play this at PAX East and it was my favorite game of the show! I'm totally going to support them with $15 so I can get my Wii U version. The game looked great, played great, and sounded great!

LDXD

LDXD said:

Good to hear from those of you that played it sounds like a great game
I'll get this no doubt, hopefully it makes it to the Wii u
Looks like it has some really good gameplay mechanics and love the music ;)

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I waited in line at PAX, but the line moved so slow that I gave up. :( Wait, didn't I already say that about another game today?

Oh, I get it! He's a knight! With a shovel! So he's a blue-armor worker! :D

wusomnumberone

wusomnumberone said:

they should make this happen on Wii U because shovel knight would make a good character on SMASH BROS. and this is a good game so nintendo has no reason not unless they are far in development

Monsti

Monsti said:

Oh I didn't see that they added a Wii U and 3DS code for 15$ pledges...well, in that case I'll donate too. :)

schizor

schizor said:

This game looks freakin' awesome.. I'm thinking of Megaman, yes. But also ducktales because of shovel knights jumping shovel-ability. Looks alot like MCducks canemove..

eleven59

eleven59 said:

i was gonna say with the downward bounce attack, it reminded me of duck tales... which isnt a bad thing..