Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon Tops Japanese Charts

Posted by Damien McFerran

3DS remains best selling hardware, too

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon has successfully spooked its way to the top of the Japanese sales charts.

The 3DS adventure sold 280,151 copies in its first week on sale. The arrival of Luigi's latest outing helped the 3DS shift 76,553 units, putting it ahead of the PS Vita, which sold 41,073 consoles in the same period. "Everything about it from its glorious visuals right through to its in-depth, incredibly fun gameplay just oozes high quality," is what we said in our Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon review.

It wasn't all good news for the 3DS, though; Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate continued the franchise's dismal recent performance in Japan, only managing to shift 14,000 units.

1. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS, Nintendo) - 280,151 / New
2. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3, Bandai Namco) - 274,625 / New
3. Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 (PS3, Konami) - 101,389 / New
4. Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 (PSP, Konami) - 80,618 / New
5. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 (Vita, Bandai Namco) - 60,315 / New
6. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS, Nintendo) - 56,876 / 2,918,394
7. Disgaea D2 (PS3, Nippon Ichi) - 55,443 / New
8. Pretty Rhythm: My Deco Rainbow Wedding (3DS, Takara Tomy) - 33,466 / New
9. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (PS3, Square Enix) - 29,401 / 157,815
10. Atelier Meruru Plus: The Alchemist of Arland 3 (Vita, Gust) - 25,095 / New

[via computerandvideogames.com, neogaf.com]

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

"Everything about it from its glorious visuals right through to its in-depth, incredibly fun gameplay just oozes high quality"

I've only played the first three stages, yet I completely agree with that statement.

This game is an absolute joy to play!

GamecubeMan

GamecubeMan said:

It's a great game. Im not surpised it's number one in Japan. The video game sales in general must be huge considering Japan has a amazing market for video games.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I for one (and I suppose a ton of other people by the numbers) am really enjoying LM:DM and I'm only half way through the second mansion! Looks like I need to play more right now... What am I thinking?!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Whoa, It topped ACNL! But then I can see that several titles topped ACNL. I think Luigi deserves it. I've played the game for about 3 hours and it's great!

@Prof_Elvin_Gadd I bet it feels weird being a character in a game huh, professor?

LordessMeep

LordessMeep said:

I see several Luigi fans in Japan. :D

It's a really good game, definitely worth the wait. I'm glad they took time to polish the game. I've played it for about twenty hours since I got it on the 24th and it's easily shaping up to be one of the must haves for the 3DS.

BossBattles

BossBattles said:

A real nintendo experience it is, luigi's mansion on 3DS. Another example of why videogaming still needs Nintendo.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It sounds like it deserves it. I'll be getting it soon enough, but with games like this coming out for the 3DS, I imagine it will help the 3DS stay on top over there.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Damo Out of curiosity, why does Nintendo Life not report sales figures in NA and EU? Or maybe you do, but I just missed them?

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'm guessing it's because the Japanese ones are easier to come across. North American and UK ones don't officially get released (charts do, but not figures), you have to rely on insiders at places like NeoGaf.

daggdroppen

daggdroppen said:

nice! will buy it tomorrow (live in europe)

does eshop downloads count in these lists? i dont think so...?

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I believe worldwide numbers will be somewhere around 700.000 (first week only, obviuosly).

I am very hyped for it but it will have to wait :(

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

I really love this game, it really shows why nintendo won't disappear anytime soon, their style of doing videogames is very unique and recent games like this one and fire emblem awakening truly shine as the best of 2013.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Came out today in New Zealand :) sooooo excited to play it but I have a full day of work first! Seems like the kind of game to play at night with the lights off anyway :)

Byron-3D

Byron-3D said:

got my copy today (1 day early may i add :) ) been playing for an hour and done the 1st few missions, so far im enjoying it, its not like the original but finding it just as fun to play

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Im only at the second mansion an barely tounching the game, im not saying it's a bad game but im not in the gaming mood lately...need to slap some sense in me.

Galactus

Galactus said:

While its a great game, the mission set up can be quite bothersome. I think I might have enjoyed the first more even though it is so short. I'm only at the half way point so my opinion could change.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

It's good to see Nintendo's efforts pay off. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon certainly deserves the sales after all.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Glad Luigi is getting all the love he derserves! I was hoping this game would be a hit, and so far It looks to be so!

Sun

Sun said:

If I was Konami I would ask fans what they wanted in a Castlevania game.