The 90's Arcade Racer Speeds Closer to Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Update hints at exciting developments ahead

A little over a week ago we told you about The 90's Arcade Racer, a project from one-man Greek developer Pelikan13 with the goal of creating a new experience inspired by classic arcade racers such as Daytona USA and Sega Rally. In order to get the project over the finishing line for a release this year the developer has taken to Kickstarter; at the time of writing he's creeping closer to his $10,000 target with 19 days still to go.

Although the initial plans were for PC, Mac and Linux releases, Pelikan13 had suggested that he'd like to release the title on Nintendo platforms, with the Wii U eShop seeming like the most likely fit. At that point it was an optimist's hope, but a new update suggests not only that the project has attracted interest and new resources, but that Wii U may have just become a bigger priority.

Since the project went live there have been some very exciting developments that I can't talk about yet but the game could be heading for the TV. This is not a one person project anymore and I hope U Wiil stay tuned for more news. In the meantime I've added a couple more screenshots on the main page.

That's a big hint that Nintendo's system is on the cards, while it seems that the project has earned the developer some additional support. We'll let you know if concrete details emerge, and the trailer is below if you want to check it out.

Thanks to Matt Sephton for the tip.

[via kickstarter.com]

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

Nintendo's consoles need some good racing games so this will be more than welcome, especially if we get Project Cars too!

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

The wait for "NFS" is killing me, we need more games like this on the Wii U and would surely pick it up!

luminalace

luminalace said:

I may considering chipping in if a Wii U port is confirmed. The game looks really up my alley.

BrightBeing

BrightBeing said:

If only SEGA would pull a Capcom and support this project. For nostalgia's sake, it'd be nice to see SEGA's name on the title screen. :)

Windy

Windy said:

I spent Hundreds of hours playing Sega Rally, Virtua Racing and Daytona on sega Saturn. Even played on Sega Saturn Netlink. Those were the Days! Would be awesome if this game was coming to 3DS with Online Multiplayer play

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@Burning_Spear don't be. Sonic All-Stars has a huge array of characters, tracks & mods. Whereas this game (as of yet) has 3 cars, 3 tracks & no release date until near the end of the year.

Not saying its going to be a bad game (how would I know that?) just saying it may be lacking in content but hopefully that makes the price cheap too.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I really hope this game makes it way to Wii U. If it does it will be an instant buy for me.