Platinum Games Is Interested In Acquiring The Darksiders Franchise

Posted by Damien McFerran

A match made in heaven?

Yesterday, we reported that THQ's time was up and the company's studios were being sold off to the highest bidders.

One of the shocks of the process has been the fact that nobody has come forward to purchase Darksiders II studio Vigil Games.

However, it would seem that there are interested parties out there. Platinum Games head Atsushi Inaba tweeted (translation by Kotaku's Brian Ashcraft):

This of course could be a comment made purely in jest, but just imagine what it would be like to see a Darksiders III made in collaboration with Platinum Games...

[via kotaku.com, twitter.com]

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

Platinum games are a great developer. Darksiders has never really appealed to me, even though I love Zelda games, don't know why... Maybe they can work some magic.

ueI

ueI said:

It sounds like it's worth more than they're willing to pay.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

I really hope the Darksiders franchise continues. I love the second game on Wii U...

Come on Platinum make Darksiders 3!

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

Despite being great games, both Darksiders I and II didn't sell that well, which might explain why nobody seems keen to shell out on Vigil. Sad really.

Anyway, it'd be interesting to see this happen. With the fruitful partnership between Nintendo and Platinum, imagine if Darksiders became another exclusive for Nintendo. I say fat chance, though.

I hear this franchise bears some similarities to Zelda though, so if Darksiders becomes Platinum's own independent franchise, I'd be worried to see whether or not they'd be able to mold a viable plot for the next game. (I hearsay stories aren't exactly Platinum's strong point.)

seronja

seronja said:

darksiders has a run for 2 more games to play as the other 2 horsmen of apocalypse, and the talents at platinum games could pull it out! i say buy it =)

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Just reading the story over at IGN, it seems the Inaba tweet followed one by a some-time Platinum developer offering Vigil staff work (or, I guess, more likely introductions) at Platinum. Maybe this one has more legs in it than I thought.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Nintendo should grab this up, and put them to work on new and old Nintendo IP. Under Nintendo's strict tutelage, they could become another quality 1st party dev like Retro Studios.

Araknie

Araknie said:

On the cheap...ehehehe, i understand them they are doing a lot in this moment, they want it but they don't know if they can afford it.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

PLEASE! Don't let Darksiders die! Nintendo or Platinum should really buy it. Give it more time in the spotlight and make D1 available for Wii U and they'll definitely make money. Darksiders is made with a lot of love and everyone loving adventures should play them.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

Like I said before I would rather prefer Nintendo to grab Vigil Studios and Darksiders and like @Threadshadow said this studio could become even better under Nintendo's wing!
I'm still boggled how anyone didn't pick this franchise yet (I know despite the games being good the sales aren't so good) from all the THQ , that's the only one I like. Heck! If it wasn't for Darksiders I wouldn't even care for THQ's demise.
Sorry for the ranting, but the tweet from Atsushi Inaba seems more like he's poking fun of Darksiders.

mshope10

mshope10 said:

what's great about this is wii u will probably get darksider3 if it comes out.

erv

erv said:

I expect a third installment in about 3 years. Might knock our socks off :)

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@Wildfire
I thought Darksiders was the only worthwhile THQ property too - easy to see why they're in trouble.
I don't think Inaba was "poking fun" though. Even if Platinum couldn't afford the studio I think there's genuinely a lot of respect there.

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

Nintendo should shock everyone and buy it, thn make Dark Siders 3 a Wii U exclusive

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

I've only played Darksiders 2,but it's an incredibly enjoyable game,someone snap it up quickly.

RedRocBoy

RedRocBoy said:

Yes! This would have been perfect for Nintendo. Hope Platinum Games does pick it up and release it on the Wii U.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

If Nintendo bought it, then that guy could be in the next smash bros..........actually, is it possible for me to buy the franchise..........nah just kidding, Platinum Games or Nintendo should buy it.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@Gamesake
There's a rumour doing the rounds at the moment that Ninja Theory have pitched an Okami style gameplay concept to Capcom based on the Onimusha series.

MadJay1664

MadJay1664 said:

Darksiders II is a bloody good game, I can't get off it! I hope Platinum Games does invest in Darksiders before it's too late.

TechnoEA

TechnoEA said:

Really hope Nintendo doesn't buy Vigill, I do however hope Platinum Games does and they're not just joking.

I love the Darksiders series so much, however I refuse to shell out money for another Console.

PS3,Wii,3DS, DS, Vita and PSP. is enough for me at the moment.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

That is an interesting tweet. It does not sound as a jest, as Inaba himself comes from the defunct Clover Studios, so he has been on that road before.

And I also don't think Platinum Games has that much money to buy that franchise, hence his "on the cheap" statement. Nintendo is a different story, though.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Hope somebody saves Darksiders. The first (only?) 2 games are excellent. Anybody who's not yet given them a go really should consider it.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I didn't know THQ did have some stuff worth of our interest, but it seems they owned the studio that made the Darksider games! I thought they only had casual/non-gamers stuff!

Anyway, this is what should happen (in my opinion): Platinum buying Vigil Games, release the original Darksiders on Wii u, make the Darksiders franchise Nintendo exclusive!!

"In THQ studio and IP selling off auction, Darksiders is unsold? [We] wanna buy it...on the cheap..."

The last two words make me cry a bit, but that's how things go! I know it's business, but it sounds so cruel!

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Please gaming Gods, let Platinum buy it. I have the WiiU version and I gotta be honest here, its combat is stale. Platinum is just what this game needs. They'll do it justice.

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

I hope the people at Vigil games find good work, even if someone doesn't buy their studio. (Which sounds like Platinum is only interested in Darksiders IP). I really hope someone does buy their studio though.

TechnoEA

TechnoEA said:

@shinokami

Actually it's not a Zelda clone, at least not in the way you think.

The only way it's like Zelda , is One of the bosses is a giant worm. That and you have dungeons, which like Zelda, there's a new item that is crucial to beat the boss.

It actually copies God of War and Uncharted, and Devil May Cry throughout the whole game. Zelda is an afterthought.

Darksiders 2, is nothing like Zelda, it copies Prince of Persia and Diablo, nothing Zelda in there.

Makkiez

Makkiez said:

I think it's sounds more insulting, How would you react if someone says, ''Yes i wane buy you but for cheap'' that's how harsh the Gameworld is. Darksiders was a Awesome game and loved playing it it's sad to know that there will not be any other darksiders game. Good news is that Crytech took most peeps from Vigil games to work for them! i Stil hope ''Fingers crosst'' to see a New darksiders!

shakinggamer

shakinggamer said:

I have darksiders 2 on the ps3 my nieces husband has it on the wiiu the wiiu. Versian is a lot better I just could not find it on the wiiu othherwise I whould have got it on the wiiu