This LEGO City: Undercover Trailer is a Treat

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Shawshank Redemption, anyone?

During yesterday's Nintendo Direct shenanigans, it was tough to keep track of the varied footage and announcements from across the regions. With that in mind, we consider it our duty to make sure that you see the latest LEGO City: Undercover trailer that was included in the Nintendo of Europe broadcast.

Not only does this trailer show off plenty of Grand Theft Auto meets Toys 'R Us gameplay that demonstrates some of the controls and fun goings-on, but also includes some humorous dialogue. We're referring, mainly, to the section dedicated to a famous scene from The Shawshank Redemption, a cult-classic film from the 1990s. Perhaps it's the imitation Morgan Freeman voice-over, or the peculiarity of a dancing prisoner with a pan on his head, but this does show the comical approach being taken for this game.

Some quite rightly want Grand Theft Auto V to be announced for Wii U, but this may be a fun, childish alternative.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Looks like GTA, only instead of gratuitous violence, it's replaced with off the wall silliness. There's potential here and I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I cant wait for this one. Hopefully it wont be to long till its released.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I noticed in the Japanese ND Lego Iwata had a Carrot... Looks like its not fruit anymore

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

@AJWolfTill: I was thinking the same thing whilst watching the trailer. I doubt it's Morgan Freeman, but Josh Robert Thompson does a mighty fine impression.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

"Aw guys, it's not based on anything! What do we do?"
"Put references to movies we would never be able make lego games for obviously!"

Seriously though, a good Shawshank Redemption parody is inherently awesome.

Xyphon22

Xyphon22 said:

I have been mildly interested in this game as one I might want if I have nothing else to play. The Shawshank stuff alone has now made this a must get.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

I really want to get this, but no dice if the game is littered with freezing issues like the games before it in the Lego series.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

AWESOME! A copy of Lego City Undercover will go in my my Wii U..... some time next year.......... AAAAH, I'M SO IMPATIENT!

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Got this preordered, looks great. I don't like the idea of having to buy a set of Lego to get a code that unlocks stuff though...hopefully that'll be offered via the EShop as DLC too. Main reason I stayed away from the Skylanders games was because of the thought of having to buy a set of figures just to be able to access all areas in the game. :P

Bane

Bane said:

This is looking better and better every time it is talked about. Imma sure gonna get this! :D Lol Shawshank Redemption reference. :D

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

They should make a grand theft auto game with lego characters (and this sorta looks like it) also if you preorder this game at gamestop, you get a free lego person of the guy on the cover, also I wonder what that Nintendo network on the cover could possibly mean?

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

I tired of the Lego games after Lego Indiana Jones 2, so this definately looks fresh enough to get into. I'll be keeping an eye peeled on this...

Phle

Phle said:

Ah, this looks epic. I never tried any other Lego game before, mainly because they are based on other stories, and I usually already know them. The Lord of the Rings Lego game looks like it could be something though, but none of the other ones ever tempted me. But this is a must have for me. I almost fainted when I saw the first video of the game, and I can't wait to play this.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Actually this does make me want to buy the game. I've seen Chase McCain 4D cinema film shorts at the Legoland theme parks and , though funny, he isn't as good a lego character as the ones Tt games have lego'd over the many years.

I wish they did a Lego Batman 2 Wii U with Gamepad functionality, but this looks like a purchase for me.