Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney to Receive Director's Cut DLC

Posted by Martin Watts

There's no objection from us

Siliconera has reported that Level-5 is planning to release a director's cut in downloadable content form for its upcoming puzzle adventure crossover, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney.

The DLC, which will be available some time after the game releases in Japan on 29th November, features an unedited script of the original story. It will also allow the player to view outtakes from the original script. The alternate storyline can only be accessed after beating the game's story mode.

The game is currently a Japan-exclusive, and neither Level-5 nor publisher Capcom have announced any official plans to localise the game for Western audiences. However, it's worth noting that an English language press release for the game was available at last year's Tokyo Games Show, and several character names were marked as "English names TBD [to be defined]".

Should we hear anything regarding a Western release, we'll be sure to let you know.

What are your thoughts on this DLC? Is this something that you would happily pay for or would you prefer it if Level 5 just released new scenarios for the game?

[via siliconera.com]

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

The DLC would just be a bonus, so I have no qualms with that. However, I want the game first before considering DLC.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

So this is game content that was ready before release? And people should be happy to pay for it, while not such a long time ago it would have been an unlockable? This is precisely what Nintendo said was not going to allow. And this is a 3DS exclusive, so ir's not only a Level 5/ Capcom maneuver.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Level 5 and Capcom just need to go ahead and announce this for the west. It will get me something to look forward to on the 3DS.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

not such a long time ago it would have been an unlockable?

Objection!

Back then, such content wouldn't have been included at all. I don't remember there being an unlockable director's cut for previous Ace Attorney or Professor Layton games, do you?

ueI

ueI said:

I call bull. If this is the original script, why is it only available after release? Stuff should be released when it's done, no exceptions.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

A director's cut sounds like a good way to do DLC if you ask me.
Something of actual substance, a look at what could have been had they gone that way instead.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

not such a long time ago it would have been an unlockable?
Objection!

I was talking about when software houses didn't keep content already created for making customers pay more later.

If u are happy about being used for being a passionate fan ( or a slave to consumism), your problem.

Tobias95

Tobias95 said:

@LEGEND_MARIOID I think we will see it next year, and the 6th Layton game in 2014. After all, we got the other games (and the movie) one or two years after its release in Japan

TheRavingTimes

TheRavingTimes said:

I would much prefer another scenario where Edgeworth and Clive team up to solve a group of murders that are all linked to a serial killer.

eirikr

eirikr said:

I don't know why I am not totally convinced of Layton with that Ace torney-whatever guy . Layton alone is just perfect for me .

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Its an interesting concept for DLC especially to make a second playthrough more fresh. Price and amount of extras decides its value/fairness.

My stance on DLC is wasn't it supposed to microtransactions of amounts you won't notice (back in 2006 when companies were first doing this that was how they picturing it; to me anything near or over $1 is noticeable) yet it turned into PC game expansion prices on an al a carte basis.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Only the really bad companies do that. Capcom may create a lot of DLC in advance but its content they intended to be DLC from the start. That its DLC or not in the game at all. Plus they don't release all their DLC on day one. Its sometimes released months after the game has been released.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

A director's cut mode is a fantastic idea for DLC but this game still doesn't have a western release confirmed. I really hope this does get localised, out of all the 3DS games that are yet to be announced for localisation, this is the one I want to be localised the most.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

My patience is growing very thin. Yes, all this DLC sounds amazing, but could you please, please just confirm the game for a Western release, already? The wait is unbearable.

Balaclavab

Balaclavab said:

Considering this is one of the few games which made me buy a 3DS, yyyeeeaaahhhh, it kinds should come out in the west, rrreeaaaalllyyyy

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Capcom, besides greedy, is dumb for admitting that the DLC is already done before the game launches. I am pretty sure they would get less flak if they said, a few months later "We just did this new DLC" even if they did it from the start.

The thing is that they still can say "let's have 90% of all we did on retail, and the rest on DLC" and then reduce that number more and more, effectively making retail games shorter or shallower and complete games more expensive. That is the bad part of DLC for me.