Rumour: Youkai Watch Coming To 3DS

Posted by Orla Madden

New Level-5 IP looks promising

According to the latest edition of Japanese magazine CoroCoro Comic, Youkai Watch is heading to 3DS; the game was first announced by developer Level-5 one year ago at its Vision event.

Youkai Watch is all about a boy who wears a special watch that allows him to see and interact with ghosts, and similar to Pokémon-style battling he can then fight them using his own ghosts. Level-5 described the game as another multimedia franchise along the lines of Inazuma Eleven.

Please bear in mind this is currently only a rumour and that localisation could be far from guaranteed, but we'd love to hear if this is the kind of game you want to see on 3DS. You can check out the trailer below, which was released last year.

[via pocketgamer.co.uk]

Hokori

Hokori said:

What's the old lady from spirited away doing here? And also I spy with my little eye a Kappa:o

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

It was bad enough knowing theres Denpa Men all around me always watching my every move but now I also have to be concerned about the ghosts and spirits around me too!

Sjoerd

Sjoerd said:

In that last scene his mother had a pokemon on her head? the yellow thing.

Looks very good though!!

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

The only problem is... you just know its gonna be horrendously badly dubbed, with no option for subtitles. All though saying that Resi did have both choices makes me wonder why capcom didnt do the same with SSF4

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I would have been more interested if there were more than 5 seconds of actual gameplay footage in that trailer.

Superconsole

Superconsole said:

Level 5 are amazing, so I'm sure this will be as equally excellent as their back catalogue :)

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

I dunno. this is awfully close to pokemon. I can see it doing very well in the west :)

3dsisthebest

3dsisthebest said:

I hope that this game is really going to be localized >:o ...this game is do awesome and the graphics of the gameplay are the best

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

It's almost like when Pokemon die they turn into ghosts that can be used in this game. Impossible crossover opportunity? Well anyway, this looks interesting; won't hold my breath for localization though. :p

GloryQuestor

GloryQuestor said:

Looks like a nice JPRG/Adventure. The "ghosts being an influence on attitude" aspect isn't quite new, since both the Shin Megami Tensei series and The World Ends With You use similar mechanics, but I would still want to check it for the variety of Japanese spirits and for what looks like a cohesive story. :)

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

Damn, this game looks really cool! Such an awesome idea! I really hope it gets localized if it comes out.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Reminds me a lot of CardCaptor Sakura. I really like the art style it, and it looks to be a good fit for the 3DS.

Silver_August

Silver_August said:

its funny watching this trailer because the art style is just reminding me of Gundam Age.... and the kid looking a little like Kio..uuuugh

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This game looks awesome! I'm not normally into monster catching RPGs but I like them if they're more story driven like the Shin megami tensei games rather than games where you're just battling other monster trainers like Pokemon. I hope this gets localised.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

MAKE IT HAPPEN LEVEL 5! WORLDWIDE RELEASE!

Inazuma Eleven looked like a great series of games that sadly never reached as many places as it could have. I'm hoping games like these get put on the eShop exclusively as opposed to fighting for space on store shelves. Then again if the show turns out to be a hit, then I'm all for traditional retail and eShop releases.