Rayman Creator Says Wii U is "Surprisingly Powerful"

Posted by Orla Madden

Developing titles is easier than expected

We already know Rayman creator Michel Ancel is a big fan of Wii U, as last week we reported his praise of the GamePad, saying it's "more advanced than what people might think". He's also stated how surprised he is at the console's power, and that developing Rayman Legends for Wii U has been easier than he expected.

In an interview with Nintendo Power, he explained that Ubisoft didn't feel it had to optimise features constantly for the upcoming platformer, and that Wii U doesn't include problems such as the fill-rate issues that affected the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Rayman Origins. Beyond that, he gave more insight into the strengths of the hardware.

And there’s a lot of memory. You can really have huge textures, and it’s crazy because sometimes the graphic artist – we built our textures in very high-definition. They could be used in a movie. Then we compress them, but sometimes they forget to do the compression and it still works! So yeah, it’s quite powerful.

Ancel also clarified that another big reason why Rayman Legends looks so good is because it's a Wii U exclusive, and Ubisoft didn't have to worry about cross-platform optimisation; meaning the developers could push the system to its limits.

Rayman Legends is currently in development and is scheduled for a Q1 release in 2013.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

BenAV

BenAV said:

Good to hear.
I'll probably pick up the game some time after it releases.
Not at full price though... I got Origins cheap and I hope I might be able to with this too.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Really getting to like this series I think. Just downloaded Origins to my 360. Being a first party Nintendo fan, I like my quality games.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Great news, nice to hear some information from Ancel. Definitely picking up Legends after Tekken, Nintendo Land and Assassins Creed 3.
@triforcepower73 Mario comes out at launch, but Rayman comes out next year. You might want to get Mario first, then Rayman if you can.

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

Excellent! This game becomes more and more appealing everyday. Can't wait to see just how far it pushes the hardware.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Finally! Someone who says Wii U trumps Xbox 360 and Play Station 3, yes!

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm looking forward to this game, but l'd hate to think a cartoon 2d platformer is maxing out the hardware.

The kids have a really early spring break next year at the end of March, I hope this and Pikmin 3 are out by then.

Grodus

Grodus said:

On the subject of Wii U, has anyone seen the Burger King Wii U commercials? Apparently, there is a Wii U toy in the kid's meal, and they're giving out 10 free Wii Us.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I played Rayman Legends, it looks rather pretty, but being all 2D and such, I didn't really imagine it being too hardware intensive.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

@Varia01: The Wii U is a next-gen system that will primarily compete with the PS4 and Xbox 720. It darn well better be powerful that the PS3/360.

Encouraging to hear that the Wii U is capable of some immense graphics and textures, especially when they haven't undergone compression. Built in 'very high definition,' and 'can be used in a movie,'? Those must be some impressive graphics, sounds a lot like the Zelda Wii U tech demo from E3 2011.

But I'd also like to hear less telling, more showing.

JayMiller1988

JayMiller1988 said:

I'm thinking it's hard to imagine what the Wii U will be capable of, though most analysts put it at 50% more powerful than the PS3/Xbox 360. Most of my concern is price. I got the 3DS seven months after it came out, I'm waiting a few years to get any new console, even if the graphics take a huge crap on PS3 and Wii; the first-party games are going to Wii U, while Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Prince of Persia, Devil May Cry, etc. are going to PS3/PS4. I'm hoping Wii U/PS4 come with digital download for every major title, I sincerely don't want any more room taken up by my games, I'd rather have an EHD that can be played from.

/rant

Depreciation is my friend.