Play: Mario Kart 7 Community Rooms - You Decide

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Let's go round again

A week ago we hosted a Mario Kart 7 community event, where you joined us for some shell throwing, banana dodging mayhem. The community room we used expanded from four players to over 180 by the end of the night, and we loved racing against you all and chatting in the comments and on our Twitter page.

Naturally, this isn't going to be a one time thing, and we're pleased to confirm that we'll be hosting another meet-up next Friday, 14th September. The event will start at the following times: 9pm UK time, 10pm Central European, 4pm Eastern US, 3pm Central US and 1pm Pacific US. If you're in school or work at those times, don't worry, as there should be players available for a good while, with various members of the Nintendo Life staff likely to drop in for some races over the course — geddit? — of a few hours.

Even more exciting, this time, is that we're going to run two community rooms, one Battle and one Grand Prix. Even better than that, we want you to decide on the items and criteria.

Below are two polls, and we'd like you to vote for your favourite in each to determine what items will be used; we're keeping the options simple this time, but will try out more combinations in the future. Get voting, as the results will be taken at midnight (UK time) next Thursday, 13 September. We'll then post an article on race day confirming the winning votes, giving you those all important codes for our next MK7 community event.

We look forward to resuming battle on the track!

Choose Your Grand Prix Community Room (158 votes)

No Items

13%

All Items

74%

Bob-ombs Only

13%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Choose Your Battle Community Room (135 votes)

All items

61%

Bob-ombs only

31%

Bananas only

Please login to vote in this poll.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Sounds awesome! The 1st time was tonnes fun even though I played way later than most. I'll be on time this time for sure! Haha

& I voted for bob-ombs only on both accounts, just because that sounds really funny & hilarious :D

EDIT: So 6am on Saturday 15th AEST (hope I got that right). Thats pretty early but I'll try to make it, I'm not working on that Saturday so that's a plus :)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Sounds awesome hopefully I will get a chance to pop in for a race or two.

Lan

Lan said:

You guys should try to hold a contest of sorts. Give the winner administrative privileges or something :D

NorthLightSuplx

NorthLightSuplx said:

I had a blast last week with this be on the look out for NLS7 next friday night @ 9:00 p.m. CST. I will be Wario and Ima gonna win!

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

5pm, hmmm,I might join late but I'll be in for this one. Thanks for the advanced notice

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Battle rooms sounds nice :)

But only bomb ombs? isn't that...a little too simple? Why not all items? :(

idork99

idork99 said:

I'm glad to see NL taking the initiative in creating these communities for fans to compete in. The most famous comment I kept reading during the last competition would be, "this is the most fun I've had playing with my 3DS on line!" I concur with the comment and encourage anyone who missed out last time to join us this time! The more competition, the more fun it'll be!

Maskeraid

Maskeraid said:

Make sure you guys tell us again Friday! Because I will most likely forget. :P
(I voted bobombs only on both >:3

Rosalina

Rosalina said:

I really prefer all items instead of one choice or none. This is because it has more variety, flavor, and surprises (probably). Besides, items help you catch up if your a bad racer.

Heatran5400

Heatran5400 said:

WOW!!!!!!!! i just started playing MK7 after a long time and now my save data was "corrupted" and got deleted. have to get EVERY single kart customization again...........:(

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Give out the community codes at 9pm this time - so people dont decide to get in early just for that score board. :P

JohnPhilipSousa

JohnPhilipSousa said:

@Geonjaha The communities already exist. They've existed for almost a full year now. (Yes, I acknowledge that statement is difficult to believe)
EDIT: I missed part of the article. I guess either they'll be making new ones, or just reposting the codes.

Syntax

Syntax said:

Count me in! I voted all items on grand prix and all bombs on battle community.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I started an online thread for this, no one replied. It was racing in the offical NL Comms.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

i hope someone's still racing around 9-10 eastern; that's probably when i'll finally be able to race D:

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

ROUND 2 here I come! I didn't get as much racing time in as I wanted to last Friday, But for next Friday, it works perfectly fine for me. See everyone on the tracks. ;)

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

Man I wish more people would vote for no items... I guess they're just scared.

Link-Rogers

Link-Rogers said:

I need a new 3DS!! My 'L' button is broken, so when I try to hold an item, it goes without me letting go!! -_- I should trade it in for something else...

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@LittleBigLover

Well, it's not much but from what I can say to you as one 3DS owner to another is, if you're up to it, then send it in to Nintendo for repairs. I mean, THE LAST THING you want to do is trade it in to a place like GameStop where you'll lose all of your saved data if you have Ambassador titles on it that is.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@Radixxs

You know, I really didn't want to have to reply to that. Not that I don't have any issues at all with what you're saying. But think on this, at times you can just keep the items around and forget there even there until the last min. if you decide to use them strategically in races that is.

@NorthLightSuplx

I usually do the same thing myself. I always try to mix in a good item offense with some good solid item defense. I just wish I had more access to Triple Banana Peels as much as I would like to instead of the single Green Koopa Shells.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

I like racing with out the items. With out items means you get to show your All star ability without having to use mushrooms or blue shells. A no Item community is probably the fairest community :)

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

I havent played much MK7 since putting kid icarus in my 3DS but I will be joining in for the races on next friday. I look forward to racing you all.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I guess then I had better keep MK7 in my 3DS, to practice. Or just one play session play SM3DL, & another MK7.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Oh well, It seems I cant play this friday. I have some things to attend to :(
(might show up, but its a 5/100 chance :( )

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

@Gridatttack

I played you last Friday, I was in the top 3 for the first hour until I stopped cause I could not handle the competition :D

My Mii was called scream and looked like scream and I was from New Zealand :)

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

@CosmicMii Oh yeah. I remember you. I think you were one of the first people I raced when I entered for the first time in the community room :)

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@CosmicMii

Just a word of advice from one fellow Mario Kart 7 racer to another. Don't worry too much about about thinking you can't handle the competition. The more and more you get into more races, the better your results will turn out. That, with the right style of kart parts you customize for yourself, and you'll do just fine.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Well I got lucky this time. So I will be able to play against you guys :)
(look out for the ? mii)