Kid Icarus: Uprising Series 2 AR Cards Flying Into the USA

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Limited availability is the pits

European Kid Icarus: Uprising enthusiasts can now buy the title's cards from various retailers due to a distribution deal with Panini. In North America, however, the focus has been on attending specific events to get hold of these AR cards, which bring in-game idols and unlockables as well as satisfying that insatiable urge to collect. For those hoping for easier access to these cards it's been confirmed, unfortunately, that attending events is still the way to go for the latest series.

The new range of cards features additional characters, weapons and items, while location-based AR cards are also added to give those virtual battles a bit of visual flair. Once again these won't be on sale in stores, but rather distributed at a variety of related events, the first of which starts at the New York Nintendo World store on 3rd August: check out the full details below.

Nintendo has announced that the second series of Kid Icarus: Uprising AR Card packs will be distributed at a number of events starting Aug. 3. Building upon the popular first series of cards distributed around the launch of the game, the Series 2 AR Cards feature different characters, enemies, weapons and items that appear in Kid Icarus: Uprising. Also, for the first time, players will find AR Cards representing various locations found within the game.

The game recognizes these specially designed cards when viewed using the built-in camera of the Nintendo 3DS system. Viewing an AR Card with the game also unlocks the corresponding Idol on the AR Card, which reveals additional information about that card. Placing down two AR Cards at once will initiate an AR Card Battle in which players can watch the two Idols engage in combat. With the location AR Cards now available in Series 2, these AR Battles can even take place on backgrounds from different locations in the game. Players can even snap photos when the AR Card characters come to life, and then view them within the Nintendo 3DS Camera application. Kid Icarus: Uprising is available now on Nintendo 3DS.

Consumers in the United States can collect packs of these special AR Cards in the coming weeks at the following events (quantities are limited, available while supplies last):

• Retail Events: Consumers in the New York area who attend Kid Icarus: Uprising events at the Nintendo World store will be given Series 2 AR Card packs starting on Aug. 3. The events take place every Friday from 6 – 8 p.m. Eastern time. Additionally, consumers will also have the opportunity to get Series 2 AR card packs at game-play sessions at select retail locations later this year. Exact dates and details will be announced at a later time.
  • Consumer Events: At several upcoming consumer events, Nintendo will be handing out packs of Series 2 AR Card packs while supplies last. Penny Arcade Expo (Aug. 31 – Sept. 2, Seattle) and New York Comic-Con (Oct. 11 – 13, New York) attendees are encouraged to stop by the Nintendo booth for Series 2 AR Card packs. Nintendo will announce additional plans for these events at a later time.

Remember that Nintendo 3DS features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds. Kid Icarus: Uprising is available in retail stores at a suggested retail price of $39.99 in the United States. For more information, please visit http://kidicarusuprising.nintendo.com.

Will you be trying to add these to your collection?

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

At this stage it would probably end up being easier to import the cards from Europe, if you're american.

The EU region cards are different however, they have multiple languages for the names of cards and are also slightly larger for this.

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

¬_¬ That is just STUPID. I'm all for Nintendo distributing the cards at events players need to attend but restricting them almost exclusively to a single area...smh... I don't understand Nintendo's "logic" sometimes...

BenAV

BenAV said:

I actually got a couple of series two packs here in Australia a while back.
The guy from Nintendo that hosts events here had a spare pack so he gave it to me and there was one lying around at EB so the girl who works there gave that to me too.

Nardar

Nardar said:

Well this just shows that they don't intend to make money off of these cards. It is one aspect of the game that is cool, but could be used a lot more.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

You know NOA you really do suck. What is the point of these if you can't get them? As big a kid icarus fan as I am I am not flying halway across the country for a couple AR cards. Just put the things on club nintendo!

TheConsiglio

TheConsiglio said:

WTF? WHY ISN'T NINTENDO SELLING THEM HERE LIKE THEY ARE IN EUROPE? GOIN' BACK ON EBAY THAT IS THEN! :/

bahooney

bahooney said:

Or have an online store to actually buy these. Like an online Nintendo World store. However, that probably makes too much sense for NOA, as they're rarely logical. "Oh, New Super Mario Bros. 2 should come out three weeks after Europe gets it." Totally.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Too bad I'm in West Virginia. (Actualy I wouldn't want to live in New York anyway).
Why are they only concerned about New York right now?
They could make some money if they would just sell the darn things or make then available for more people than just those who can get to the Nintendo Store in New York.
I just drove almost 4 hours away from here for a Zelda Symphony (which was great). I'm not going up to New York now for these.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

This is just annoying. I'd rather get a bunch of the cards from Europe on ebay or something than deal with this garbage from NOA. I'd even prefer to just find the scans online.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I actually like to collect cards. I have full sets of the Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii trading cards Enterplay has sold, but these cards are too hard to get to even bother. I managed to get a total of 14 of them without spending any money, but I refuse to drive all over creation, or shell out rediculous amounts of cash on anymore.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Things like this drive me up the proverbial wall, aside from the fact I can't go to major city events (people outside of NYC, LA, etc. are always SOL).

This wonderful game, one of the best to come along in ages (and the undisputed best on 3DS imo) may've done far better in the US if NoA did something to, you know, ADVERTISE IT! Like selling these cards retail or putting up a demo at eShop. I saw a KI: U commercial ONCE here, and that's all.

Not sure if NoA doesn't care if first party games outside of Mario & Zelda fail or what. Handled differently, Uprising could be a million-plus seller and a sequel would be a formality (even if not by Sakurai, who also swore off SSB in the past). As it is now, I'd guess seeing Pit, Palutena & Co. outside of a SSB game my not be likely for another 25 years. Great job promoting KI: U, NoA...

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

@Tom - Can you change the title? You got my hopes up but it says for the States which isn't all North America

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

Yay for moving to NY college. Going to go to the city and the Nintendo World Store every Friday because I don't have classes that day.

DaJusticeyJDude

DaJusticeyJDude said:

I'm freakin ticked about this im huge kid icarus fan ive played all the games and there is no way im travelin that far just to pick up a new ar card set. Gees Nintendo........

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Aqueous My bad, that's a fair point. Headline's changed now, but I agree with those unhappy with this tactic with the AR cards. They should really be on sale.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Honestly Nintendo, how hard is it to put some simple cards on Club Nintendo or sell them in packs in stores!? I mean come on, it should not be that difficult!

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Why can't I have my Kid Icarus cards. It really sucks that they are only distributing the cards this way. If only they would have done what @FluttershyGuy said and sell them at stores.

emiru69

emiru69 said:

I just want to buy my AR cards online... I don't live in New York, I don't go to these events.

Nestalgic

Nestalgic said:

I think I'd rather have Kid Icarus Uprising 2 instead of series 2 cards. Maybe it's just me...

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Great, more friggin' events I can't attend. Thanks a lot, Nintendo. I can still see the US of A is still on the sh*t end of the stick.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

It's like Nintendo of Japan thinks New York and California are the only existing inhabited areas in Noth America.

WolfZombie

WolfZombie said:

Also would like if they sold these in stores, hopefully at least another GameStop event will happen with a different selection of cards.

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

Great....yet ANOTHER retailer dissappointment! COME ON NINTENDO!! The UK are getting booster packs from retailers wth are they in the USA?! We're so getting screwed over so bad.....

rockman_zero

rockman_zero said:

n.o.a selling these is a waste of time waitin i downloaded a app on my android that gives me axcess to all cards