3DS System Update is Available Now

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Don't get excited, though

Nintendo's relatively regular updates to the 3DS system continue today, with version 4.3.0-10U available for download now in Europe and North America. If you don't update manually we'd expect a SpotPass notification and prompts to arrive shortly.

Unfortunately for those of us still dreaming of adding colours or icons to our rather dull 3DS folders, this update appears to be a standard security upgrade. Nintendo of America's website warns against the use of any unauthorised devices or software, as usual, before giving a rather vague description.

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

We take this to mean that the new update will block even more devious methods to mod or steal content on 3DS systems, which is a good thing. If any of you notice any 'enhancements to the user experience', meanwhile, please let us know.

[via nintendo.com]

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I've read on the forums here that this supposedly adds a "recommendation" button to the eShop for japanese users, but other than that this just appears to be your usual attempt to prevent unauthorised devices from working on the 3DS.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm sure I'll enjoy the 'enhancements in the user experience' getting this update. :p

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

Didn't Nintendo announce in October 2011 that we would be able to access the eShop from computers and smartphones and eventually make purchases? Where is it Nintendo? Where is it? Edit: Contacting NOA for answers.

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

To whoever dreams of colours and icons being added to their 3DS folders in a system update...get better dreams.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@PixelatedPixie I'm one of those, and I have many dreams: some big and some very, very small :)

Just a light-hearted comment for the article, as I doubt the prospect of coloured folders keeps anyone awake at night.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

All you under 18s out there: don't forget to have an 'adult' touch the download button…the gods only know what will happen to your system if you try to do it yourselves! ;-)

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

Does anyone know if i can do a system transfer from this to the 3DS XL without having to do a system update first ?

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Funny thing happened as I walked in my local Starbucks with my 3DS, I put it in sleep mode. Opened the lid up, and it stayed in sleep mode and couldn't wake it up. So, hard power down, powered back up, then I was told an update was available when i went to the Nintendo Zone site where I updated it successfully. I hope that so called update took care of THAT ever happening again. It's gave me a pretty good WTF scare, I'll say that much.

Nestalgic

Nestalgic said:

Why even bother? The hackers must just keep coming up with new ways to get into it and then we get these responses. But seriously all it does it get my hopes up that we're getting something good and then.... nothing.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

We need a firmware update or something. Would be nice if we could continue to use Street/Spotpass and wander around the 3DS menu while playing DS games. :p

rayword45

rayword45 said:

Honestly, I'm impressed how frequent this is. It seems they gave up on the Wii/DSi as a whole.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

I have a large 16GB SD card in my 3DS. The camera app loads up in 36 seconds now and before took up to 80 seconds!
Also Nintendo letterbox loads up in 10 seconds instead of 30 seconds.
Music I have added pops up quicker in music app.

I think they made it read large SD cards faster.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I only see that this update is to block more flashcarts...
"sigh"...This updates are becoming like the wii updates all over again...adding nothing new and just preventing homebrew...

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I love these two second updates, makes me think that they're already downloaded to the 3DS and all you're really doing is installing them, which is fine by me.

123akis

123akis said:

A feature has been added to the eshop. If you do not have enough funds to buy something, such a £3.60 game and you only have 3.50 you can top the eshop up with the required amount left, so 0.10p

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

I found something new. When you check the detailed user review scores for a game in the eShop, it now tells you what games have also been frequently bought by those who bought this game, like on Amazon.com. For example, the nerds who bought Petit Computer also tend to buy Ace Mathician.

Magicpegasus

Magicpegasus said:

Oh, thanks Nintendo. My user experience is exactly the same...lines in my top screen caused by your poor design and a handful of ancient ROMs in exchange for being an early adopter (ambassador).

damascus

damascus said:

Nintendo should give away a free game with the update. That would make a lot update their firmware lol

Come on nintendo, increase the number of coins you can earn to 20!

Miroku

Miroku said:

This is just so you can't pirate downloadable games. Go figure since NSMB2 is coming out for digital download soon.

Nestalgic

Nestalgic said:

@Miroku Oh that makes more sense now. I was going to say, stopping those flash carts just seems pointless. But if this is for eshop security, then that's clearly something useful. The same people that can steal games can probably steal credit card numbers.

That's very different than someone purchasing a counterfeit game from Hong Kong or something.

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

@Nestalgic: The 3DS is the most robust console in anti piracy measures. Remember that on the console box and manual, on the games' boxes, and on each update it says that using an unauthorised device (flashcart) can brick your 3DS. (rendering it permanently unplayable)

Iron fist move at punishing piracy, and for that i applaud Nintendo. That's how you handle that issue, like a boss.