E3 2012: Transfer Wii Save Data and Shop Purchases to Wii U

Posted by James Newton

Keep it flowing

Nintendo's confirmed it's working on a system to transfer Wii save data, WiiWare and Virtual Console purchases from your Wii console to the new Wii U.

The good news came during last night's developer roundtable in a Q&A section, a Nintendo producer saying:

We are readying the system to be able to transfer saves and everything you've bought.

The producer didn't say anything about the logistics of the transfer — so we don't know if you'll have to keep your Wii console to send your content to Wii U — but at least Nintendo's working on it.

[via theverge.com]

Aviator

Aviator said:

Do we know if that includes online save data.

Great news even if it doesn't.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Cool.
Not sure if I want to transfer my Wii save data to my Wii U or not, but it's nice to have that option available.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

This is good. I wonder if they make Miiverse available for the Wii Downloads. It would be fun and could interest more people in the titles without being too obtrusive.
I also wonder if you'll be able to decide exactly what you want to transfer. I mean there might be games you'd rather play with the GC controller or with 8 people.

Yasume

Yasume said:

Again, why no mention of this during the main conference? The news after Nintendo's presentation has been better than the presentation itself.

CrispyGoomba

CrispyGoomba said:

I'll only transfer my saved data if that means records of how long I been playing a game. Cause I'm picky like that.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

You had me at "new console", Nintendo. This and many other things are just icing on the donut. :)

I am pleased that I should be able to successfully transplant my Wii library and game saves to my Wii U. It'll be as though my Wii's consciousness was being transferred to a new body, just like an Asgard's! :D

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I think I'll send over most of my VC games over onto Wii U. Games like Donkey Kong Country would't look good on a HD TV, so this it's definitely good news that Nintendo remembered to do this.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

That's good to know. I was worried that they might just give you the option to transfer downloads and not save data like when you transfer DSiware to the 3DS. I'll be keeping my Wii though so I'm not sure I'll transfer all of my games but its good to have the option and I'll definitely make use of it for a lot of my games.

BF-Medic

BF-Medic said:

Nice, then it will be a day-1 purchase for me. And I can start buy some more games on the old Wii :)

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

This is information I wanted to find out during the E3 conference.

Also, wonder if we'll be able to play our VC/WiiWare titles on the Wii U Gamepad....or will we be restricted to just playing them on the TV?

rjejr

rjejr said:

Anybody else notice a distinct lack of Wii love this week? I know it's WiiU time, and 3DS as well, but nothing?
Can you guys at NL at least put up 1 of those upcoming game lists for the Wii owners? Off the top of my head:
Just Dance 4
Epic Mickey: Power of 2
Kirby Anniversary Collection
Sonic and Sega All-star Racing 2 (or maybe just 3DS, I forget)

As for the transfer, I hate phrases like "We are readying". How long until this was available after the 3DS launch?
Great news though. Really really really should have been in the presentation. This is the stuff the gamers who watch these presentations want to know. We already know dance and exercise games are coming out, tell us stuff we don't know.

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

thats thankful, because in addition to the shop purchases not all save files can be backed up on SD cards

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Now they just need to make my purchases connected to one account, which is connected to both my 3DS and Wii U, and allow me to play VC titles on both.

iphys

iphys said:

Excellent! It will probably be like the DSi to 3DS transfer, as I don't imagine they're going to allow you to transfer the games to the Wii U without also removing them from the Wii, but I'm glad we'll get to keep our saves this time at least. I also hope we can transfer Nintendo points from the Wii Shop this time, but I doubt it if everything is going to be cash from now on.

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

This was quite important for me for the following reasons.

18 x NES = £63
27 X SNES = £132.30
10 x N64 = £70.00
8 X Turbo Grafx = £33.60
9 X Mega Drive = £44.10
29 X WiiWare = £203.00
Total = £546.00 (roughly $845.60)

Having spent all this money on digital games I really didn't want to have them languish on my Wii (which I intend on boxing up once I've played Rhythm Heaven Fever, which is released soon in Europe under the name Beat the Beat). I still haven't decided that the Wii U is for me, but if i do, it's reassuring to know that these games will be coming with me.

Light-Of-Hope

Light-Of-Hope said:

@firearrow505 I know! I don't want to start all the games from the scratch. Especially Super Smash Bros. Brawl, after all I successfully completed that game. I have two Wii console and I tried to transfer the saved game data and it won't let me. I'm scared right now, but Wii U worth our time. But my major issue, or probably everyone's issue, is that it doesn't play any Gamecube games disc.......unless I buy it from VC and start all over. I have about more than 20 Gamecube game disc and I can't start all over!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I hope they make a method to transfer the game saves that don't transfer to SD card. I suspect that the Wii will have a massive update in store for it to allow this. Fortunately, the Wii-U can use the U-pad while your Wii is connected to the TV.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I would transfer my Wii Ware games in a heartbeat, but I'm, not sure about the VC games. They may not look good on a HD TV. Maybe Nintendo will address that.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Yes. Ok. Things are looking good with all the plethora of games the VC/WiiWare offers. Maybe a renaissance for some titles much like what happened to DSiWare on 3DS.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

@Rawk_Hawk: Most NES, SNES, Genesis, and especially the N64 games look fabulous through the 480p Component cables! Super Mario 46 and Mario Kart looks like roach when you connect an original N64 to HDTV set; compare that to the enhanced display resolution the 3D graphics get when played on Wii/VC; Peach's castle never looked so breathtaking...

Light-Of-Hope

Light-Of-Hope said:

My first Wii is broken because it doesn't let the disc running, but my Virtual Console's working. Secondly, I have another one, but it has few of the game datas. Is it possible to transfer more than one Wii to Wii U? I have tons of Virtual Console. My question is, how does it work? I tried to transfer SSBB game data to another "new" Wii, but it doesn't let me. Please Nintendo, it's in your hand to impress me AND Nintendo fans.

Light-Of-Hope

Light-Of-Hope said:

It'll be great if they can make a replica of Nintendo Gamecube controller, but also attached to Wii Remote and play VC Gamecube games with it. So It'll make life easier. But I don't want to buy some, cause I have tons of Gamecube discs. So I'm grateful that I still have Gamecube console, but I need to get a new one, it's worned out. Is it possible to find new Gamecube console? I wonder if Wii U also transferable to Gamecube data............