More Gorgeous Epic Mickey 3DS Screenshots Revealed

Posted by James Newton

What a Beauty

Like us, you were probably pretty excited when you heard about Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion for 3DS, a new 2D platformer from Monster Tale studio DreamRift. Now Disney has released a few more details on this intriguing upcoming title.

The previously revealed painting mechanic involves sketching on the touch screen before the object is rendered in full 3D on the top screen. Warren Spector and Disney are calling the game a "tribute" to the original Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, rather than a straight sequel.

We've also got the first direct feed screenshots below these very words. Are you still excited for Mickey's 3DS adventure?

Disney Epic Mickey Paints Its Way to the Nintendo 3DS System with “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion”

Reality is What You Paint of It as Player Illustrations Come to Life in 3D

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Disney Interactive Media Group today announced the development of “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion,” the first Nintendo 3DS™ title in the “Disney Epic Mickey” franchise. The title features an interactive combination of painting, dual screen integration and 3D transformation capabilities designed to give players the unique ability to create objects and even characters they can place in the world of Wasteland.

In “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion,” Reality is What You Paint of It. The game offers a special drawing and painting function that allows players to create rough versions of objects that magically transform into classic Disney-style 2D illustrations. Utilizing the game’s unparalleled dual screen integration, players then move their creations to the top screen where they are further transformed into full-color, fully-rendered 3D visuals.

Paying tribute to the classic Sega Genesis title “Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse,” “Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion” focuses on the fabled Castle of Illusion, which has fallen into Wasteland, an alternate world filled with 80 years of forgotten Disney characters and theme park attractions – and now forgotten video games. The evil witch Mizrabel, villainess from the classic “Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse,” finds herself an unwilling inhabitant of Wasteland, and unleashes a plot to escape using the Castle of Illusion to imprison and drain the cartoon essence from currently famous Toons. Players will take on the role of Mickey Mouse as he utilizes his magical brush to wield paint and thinner to confront Mizrabel and save the Toons.

“The original ‘Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse’ changed the face of video gaming by allowing players to play as Mickey Mouse in a side-scrolling adventure full of dynamic environments,” said Warren Spector, vice president and creative director, Junction Point. “We’re honored to be able to pay tribute to this classic video game by creating a title that truly takes advantage of the unique capabilities of the Nintendo 3DS, putting the magic of Disney and the historic Castle of Illusion in the palm of your hands.”

“Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion” is being created by critically acclaimed DS developer DreamRift, in collaboration with Disney Interactive’s Junction Point. The game is slated for a fall 2012 release on the Nintendo 3DS. For more information, go to www.disney.com/disneyepicmickey, or check out this month’s issue of “Nintendo Power” magazine which features an exclusive cover story on the upcoming game.

Punny

Punny said:

I love a good hand-drawn game. If the 3D effect is like that of Mighty Switch Force!, then this will be another great example of hand-drawn 3D done right on N3DS. I'm looking forward to this title.
By the way, Pete should be careful. Bowser might sue him for stealing his Thwomp idea.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Can't wait to get this game. Definitely pre-ordering this game. Man I love Mickey Mouse and I loved Epic Mickey.

Rococoman

Rococoman said:

I don't know if I'ld go quiiiiite that far, but it was a very good game. Gameplay-wise, I liked the SNES 'Quest' games a bit better, but Castle of Illusion (as well as the somewhat-sequel, world of illusion) has a fantastic atmosphere about it.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

These were the same screenshots from the latest Nintendo Power, but they do look very good. It's too bad I didn't get to play Castle of Illusion, but this game sounds promising and it's cool that there will be a new Mickey Mouse side-scrolling game again for this present day. The Disney fan in me makes me excited for this.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

This looks and sounds great. I'll preorder as soon as I get the chance. Also, here's hoping Castle of Illusion gets released in the VC.

Koapa

Koapa said:

I´m so sad. Why will this not be in 3D?
Is 3DS not capable enought? I don´t understand :-(

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

This game is getting more interesting to me each time I look at it. Besides the fact that this game is paying it's respects to a great game before like Castle Of Illusion , more of these classic Disney characters that I see keep popping up remind me that of the characters of the different Disney worlds you would encounter in Kingdom Hearts. I mean, besides Scrooge McDuck and Beast now showing up, I just saw Captain Hook and I believe a statue of King Triton from The Little Mermaid in my most recent issue of Nintendo Power, which I didn't quite understand why they would include in the game whether it has to do with Disney or not. Let's hope this game has that kind of Castle Of Illusion feel to it that we all remember back in the days when we played it on GENESIS and GAME GEAR. I believe it was also on Master System back in the day also, but all in all, I hope this game delivers right.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I still stand by my stance that the 3DS could do better graphically. Way better. There are downloadable games on the platform that look prettier than this.

Samholy

Samholy said:

looks fine but... it looks like a snes game. a quality snes game of course but...
its far FAR behind rayman origins in 2D art quality.

didnt really like the other mickey mouse game. i dont really liked mickey mouse ever anyway. no buy for me

mamp

mamp said:

This game looks fun but after the Original Epic Mickey was overhyped for me I should just tread carefully with this game.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Absolutely gorgeous! I often miss the colour of 2D games from the 16bit generation. Unless something goes horribly wrong here, this will be day 1 purchase for me!

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

DarkWing Duck BETTER be in this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Shonenjump86: Instead of waiting for them to hit VC which they more than likely wont why not just pick up a NES and a cartridge of the games? Thats better than sitting around and wishing they release the stuff.

I so cant wait for this game to come out. I am not to interested in the Wii version.

RR529

RR529 said:

Looks very much like a game from the 16 bit era. As someone who played a lot of SNES and Genesis as a kid, this looks right up my alley. Mighty Switch Force gave off this same vibe, and I enjoyed that, so this is definately on my watch list. If I only have the money for one Disney game this year, KH:DDD trumps this hands down (IMO), but I hope to have the money for both.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

2D platformer = win for me. I still love Castle of Illusion on the Mega Drive, so this should be right up my alley. I just added this one to the list of games I'll be checking out at E3 in June. :D

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

Gorgeous? Or Henry Hatsworth re-skin? Either way, more 2D platformers better be on the upside.. por favor.

Dak_n_Jaxter

Dak_n_Jaxter said:

I've been waiting for this since i beat Disney's Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse... one of my favorite childhood games, definitely. This looks beautiful.

AXEL314

AXEL314 said:

@Koapa
3D ... as in rendered in polygons? No thanks, I prefer the 2D art style. The 3DS is obviously very capable of rendering console visuals, but the developers want to keep the Castle of Illusion look.

mastersworddude

mastersworddude said:

I wouldn't judge the graphics yet for people who are upset by the sprites. It could possibly look amazing in motion with clean fluid animation.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

This looks like a GBA game...

I was hoping for something like Skylander or Super Mario 3D Land... Or drawn 2D like WarioLand on the Wii. The 3DS is capable of Wii+ GFX wise..
There must be at least a demo of this before I even have 0.1% of intrest in this.

But for now this is an insult to the 3DS, and should be renamed to "Epic Fail Mickey"

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

@SanderEvers, it is drawn 2D like Wario for Wii. So the only thing here that is an epic fail is your comment. You really gave away your youth by mentioning Skylander's. Didn't have to be Professor Layton to figure that out, btw. For one, Skylander's didn't have top-end graphics and for two it was targeted at little kids, Buy a Sega Genesis off eBay and discover the wonderful world of 2D gaming that you missed out on.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

i like the artstyle- very reminiscent to castle of illusion, which was a classic on the megadrive/genesis.

so what if it is 2D? it suits it well and though i love 3d graphics, 2D is what i love most because i grew up with that.

Samholy

Samholy said:

@mastersworddude
yeah maybe youre right. so far screenshots on 3DS rarely impressed me anyway.

kid icarus looked okay in screenshots. but platying it with 3D its another world. sometimes it looks even better than a lot of ps3 titles.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Seeing these screenshots really takes me back to the mid 90s, leafing through issues of Nintendo Power/GameFan/Gamepro/EGM, looking at the gorgeous SNES graphics of all the hottest upcoming games. It's probably too early to say, but I applaude the direction this game is going in, and on top of that, Dreamrift has proven well it's up to the task of preserving the feeling of all those great 16-bit platformers. I urge all of you to seek out Henry Hatsworth and/or Monster Tale; some of the finest 2D action on the DS. I'm also hoping Konami realizes that 2D sprite based graphics still have a place on the 3DS, and gets IGA working on the next Dractroid STAT!

Phle

Phle said:

I can't really see the beauty. The style and colors are good, but.. Why make a game with pokémon diamond and pearl graphics? They could at least make the pixels less eye-catching?

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

"Looks like a GBA game" is an insult now? Most GBA games look better than most DS games. Great 2D art simply ages better than 3D.

I can't wait to get my hands on this. I really enjoyed Henry Hattsworth and Monster Tale.