Dragon Quest X Wii Lands in Japan on 2nd August

Posted by James Newton

Wii U version still a secret

Square Enix will release its online RPG Dragon Quest X in Japan this August.

The Wii game lands on 2nd August in two editions: the standard game costs ¥6,980, or you can buy it with a USB memory card for ¥8,980. If you buy the solus game, you'll need to provide your own USB memory stick with at least 16GB capacity, which is used for download content and update in the future.

DQX also ships on two discs, a real rarity for Wii games — we can't name any two-disc Wii games, but we're sure you can — and comes with a monthly service charge: ¥1,000 for 30 days, ¥1,950 for 60 or ¥2,900 for 90 days. Each game comes with a free 20 day period of play, and Square Enix will be hosting free "Kids' Time" periods where young ones can enjoy online play without paying.

The promised Wii U version is still under wraps.

[via andriasang.com]

Cipher

Cipher said:

Looking forward to this, didn't expect it quite so soon either - it'll be interesting to see how online and offline play works, too.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@Cipher

There is no offline play. You can only play offline up to a certan point and then the game is online only.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I want to try these games just cause I've come to know some of these characters through Fortune Street and Mario Sports Mix. Kind of makes me interested to see what their series is about.

SteveW

SteveW said:

In that case I am passing on this one, I'm not paying a monthly fee...

thefabfour64

thefabfour64 said:

The Wii U seems much more suited for an MMO. I doubt the Wii version will ever come to the U.S. or Europe anyway. But I could be wrong.

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

I never thought I would see the day when I'd have to pay a monthly fee to enjoy a Dragon Quest title. I find it very sad, since I've been loyal to the series for a long time, but there's no way I'm going to pay for a subscription.

@Sony_70 I know there won't be an offline mode, but it's still unclear to me if there will be an online single player mode. It would be nice to know if Square will have the decency to include this to the fans that are not in to MMORPGs.

Samholy

Samholy said:

oh nooooo....
i knew it would happen one day, i feared it.
this will be the first dragonquest i will never play :-(
i dont own a wii and dont plan to at all. and its a mmo, and it doesnt suit my gaming philosophy. no mmo, mmo is doo . mmo is a life eater. mmo is satan.

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

I'm definitely interested. The world and character designs are simply gorgeous (but what else would you expect from Toriyama?) and I can't wait to see more. Still holding out for Wii U info, though. That's the version I'll be picking up.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

There is absolutely no offline mode. The tutorial is played offline and that's it. I'm really surprised by that, considering the amount of backlash, I really expected them to massively delay the game and go back to rework it.

Charging people to play a Guild Wars 1 style MMO just isn't going to fly (especially with games like GW2 coming out), so it'll be interesting to see how they handle it when it's eventually released over here. I've loved every entry in the series, but I'm not prepared to pay monthly for this one.

AcidFox

AcidFox said:

Really? It's the dawn of the freemium gaming era and they decide to charge ¥1000 a month to play? That's a little backwards, but definetly not surprising coming from Square.
Just hope that if they bring it to the rest of the world they do what Capcom did with Monster Hunter Tri and NOT charge us.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@fchinaski

There will be Online Single player. You can Purchase guys from the pub like you can in IX. you can also hire your friends charters when their offline.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@AcidFox

Dude Its Dragon Quest in Japan. Dragon Quest is one of the three franchises that can get away with the this in Japan,. (The other two being Pokemon and Monster Hunter)

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Guess I'm not getting it if they release it here. I'm not ready to pay to play a game that I can't play by myself.

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

@Sony_70 Interesting, but I can't find any official word about this, or if the single player mode will also require a subscription. Anyway, thanks for the info.

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

@Sony_70 Man, playing as a human is boring. You play as a human every day! :P I'm leaning towards Ogre, which is odd for me because I usually don't like big hulking characters.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@SpaceKappa

i'm a pretty boring person in that regard. lol . I usually play a human Warrior/Monk/Assassin.

Eh I guess i'll play the Blue fish people.

therick112

therick112 said:

this game must be huge if it is two discs, considering they got ALL THREE Metroid Prime games, in their entirety, on one Wii disc.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Thanks for the video link. I did watch the first half thinking it was a DS game though. Are people really going to pay a monthly fee for a game that looks like that? It's more kiddie than Free Realms, well w/ the exception of the woman with the really big bouncy blue... uh, sword.
And honestly, I don't think it looks like a multplayer game, it's a standard storyline JRPG that forces you to pay to play w/ other characters, either bots or real people. Guess I'm not the target audience.

1upsuper

1upsuper said:

@rjejr Are you not familiar with this series at all? The art style is that of Akira Toriyama's, of Dragon Ball fame.

This game has me incredibly conflicted. Dragon Quest is my favorite gaming franchise, and I've never been disappointed with any installment. At the same time, I've never gotten into an MMO for the sole fear that eventually, the game is going to die and the server will go down, and all of those hours of work will be forever gone. And I usually don't like to pour too much time into one game due to the sheer number of games on my backlog that still need to be completed. But I'll probably end up getting it and paying for several months to please my DQ obsession.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

@Mickeymac WoW is a massive, persistent online world that gets new content added regularly. DQX functions much like Guild Wars 1, you meet up with people in a town, form parties then go out and complete missions in instanced areas. By strict definition, it's not an MMORPG and shouldn't have a monthly fee.

They're charging one, simply because they know people will pay it. It's exactly the same as what happens with Monster Hunter in Japan.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Highwinter Try following the conversation, dude. rjejr's saying people wouldn't pay money for a game with that kind of graphics, yet here's a game that's similarly colorful, yet dated, that people are more than willing to pay money for, and have paid money for for years.

Objection

Objection said:

Monthly subscriptions...well, itll be interesting to see if that works.
Personally, I hate them and won't buy this. Interesting that it requires so many GBs to play too.
Do you have to buy new boots for this game as well? :P

EdEN

EdEN said:

Looking forward to this. Been a while since I've had to pay a subscription to play, but if any game can make me do that, it is Dragon Quest. Just need to know about the Wii Version since I'll probably get that as it will be cross-play compatible with the Wii version.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Dragon Quest as 2 discs with a mandatory 16 GB flash drive for additional content! This could be the biggest quest ever! Too bad I have no intention of buying it if I have to pay to play...

DashDG

DashDG said:

As far a I know, Monster Hunter G and Tri had Monthly Fee in Japan around 90 Days for 2000 Wii Points, then Capcom release MH Tri online free in Europe and America. In Japan people is willing to pay for online games, they have the money and server infrastructure especially created for their country...

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Approximate direct conversion of those prices:
30 days: ¥1000 = £7.60 = $12.40
60 days: ¥1900 = £14.90 = $24.10
90 days: ¥2900 = £22.20 = $35.90

Roughly £22 per quarter... I wouldn't mind too much paying that, so long as the game was good. I'm really not an MMO person though

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

I hate the way they are taking such a great series down this path. Oh well I may look into the Wii U version.

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

Ripoff. How much offline gameplay is there? Is there any possible way to get around the monthly fee? You know what I mean.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

WIsh there was no monthly fee. I feel like Square is using an Enix IP to test out a new gaming model before tampering with their precious FF series. Dragon Quest is equally legendary, screw them for tampering with the traditional formula. MMO must die.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Dear Square Enix; can I have some money? I'm pretty sure you're going to make a disgusting amount of money off of this game in Japan because Japanese people are suckers for Dragon Quest, and thanks to your monthly fees. Thank you in advance for all the free money.

Then again... every Japanese person I know who owns a Wii either doesn't know how to connect to the internet, doesn't even know that you CAN connect it to the internet, or just plain doesn't have internet. Japan is kind of weird like that.

Damagemanual

Damagemanual said:

I'm really sad to see this is pay for play. I'm so not a fan of MMO's but I'd give a DQ ones a shot at least. Where's the next DQ game for the 3DS?