Mario Tennis Opens Up with New Gameplay Video

Posted by James Newton

Another Camelot smash hit?

Now we know Mario Tennis Open is out in May it's time to feast your eyes on some fresh gameplay footage, showing off the new multiplayer and touch screen functions.

You'll be able to use the 3DS console's built-in gyrometer to move your system around to take a look around the court, though we're not quite sure of the tactical advantages of such a move.

Mario Tennis Open is out in late May. Will you be giving it a try?

Yosher

Yosher said:

Looks pretty neat! Definetely getting this, even if it didn't have online (though of course I'm glad it does!).

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Thankfully, it would appear that the annoying power moves from Mario Power Tennis are gone. Should be good.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Hopefully they don't repeat the fiasco that was Mario Kart 7's character choices. Besides, Waluigi was literally made to play tennis, he has to be there!

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I haven't bought a Mario Tennis game since Mario Tennis on the N64 since it didn't seem intuitive enough. But with online play and 3D graphics, this actually intrigues me.

SMW

SMW said:

Now I NEED to get a 3DS! Camelot makes the best sport games.

benjamines

benjamines said:

If Toad is not a playable character this time, I will poop in a box and mail it to Nintendo.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

@James I'm surprised that there isn't any mention of an RPG mode, as well...

I hope they delay the release date just to add the single player RPG mode into the game, but that's just wishful thinking at this point. It could have been really intresting to use your characters from the single player game in online matches.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

@benjamines As crazy as that sounds, I guess I would know how you feel if they left Yoshi out.
But anyway, I hope the touch screen controls doesn't make it too complicated.
Still really looking forward to this!! Got me playing the Wii remake of Mario Power Tennis lately.

mega

mega said:

well mabye ill get it. not for $40 though since thats quite alot of money for a repetitive game. mabye if it had an rpg mode id get it.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I don't see special moves being used a lot, so some restraint in that regard is good. Music sounded good, and the visuals look like from Mario Power Tennis but with some different brightness. This should be yet another good Mario sports game from Nintendo and Camelot.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Disappointed at the lack of power shots but it still looks like a pretty good game but I haven't decided yet if I'll get it or not.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

If there´s an RPG mode like in both previous handheld ones then yes, I´ll buy it at launch. Online might be good too if it works. And I really hope it works. I haven´t been able to play MK7 for almost 2 months. Always gives me connection error, my computer´s connection works great, I blame Nintendo´s servers.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I just hope that IF there'll be an RPG mode, that the character you'll raise won't make the Mario characters look like crap.. that's the only thing I'm worried about. If they can work around that then I'll gladly have the RPG mode too.

Punny

Punny said:

Looks great! I'm also noticing new courts, so it's NOT a remake of Mario Power Tennis! This should be a fun game!

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Is it just me, or are the character voice samples the same as in Mario Power Tennis? I especially hear it from Peach.

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

No RPG mode? Ah, shame.

But man, that soundtrack is awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Best arrangement of the Mario theme yet, IMO.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Already pre-ordered :D

And it's using Nintendo Network, so I'd love to see if there's communities or something special in the online mode.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I'll try to save up, so I can be all over this at launch. :) No Power Shots! :) I respect others' opinions, but I'm in the camp that doesn't like the "Power Shots" special moves.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Nice trailer! Not really earth-shattering, but nice nonetheless! And it comes pretty soon!

Birdman

Birdman said:

Nice to see they're dropping realism in favor of pure fun. Me needs a pre-order now.

Noire

Noire said:

I love the way it looks. It's deliciously frantic but doesn't rely on power shots to make it that way (at least that's what it looks like). Power shots got so old because of the animations every single damn time. x___x

I really wish they could get a special item mode in there too, along with an RPG mode ... and ... Camelot I love you please make it happen <3

Gamma

Gamma said:

The game looks amazing, I might just save up for it. I'd wait a bit though, since well....there is always Monster Hunter Tri G...and you know...Kid Icarus. The 3DS game line up is growing with fantastic new games.

SuperMinusWorld

SuperMinusWorld said:

An RPG mode would so work. You can use your Mii for it. Please Camelot, bring it back just one more time... Just one more time...

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

I've never played a Mario Tennis gma e before so this should be good. Including online is great too. I'll be all over this one come May 20!

phoenix1818

phoenix1818 said:

That's some pretty extreme slicing! But it looks pretty good, the actual matches look mostly like the Gamecube one, which was really fun to play. Will probably pick this one up sometime this year.