Hudson May Continue as a Brand

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

There's hope yet

Late yesterday we reported the sad news that Konami is dissolving Hudson Soft, one of the industry's most experienced development companies. Although it's clear that Hudson will no longer exist as an independent entity, there's now hope that it may still retain its own brand and identity.

Hudson released a statement on its website, translated by Andriasang, which seems to suggest that the Hudson name will live on. The statement is quoted as saying the following:

We will continue to work to deliver new entertainment to our fans, now as a member of Konami Group.

It's also suggested that development projects under the Hudson name will continue, while its official Japanese website will stay online. If that is the case then there is hope that Hudson and its franchises will have a future, even if it continues its recent focus on the mobile gaming market.

[via andriasang.com]

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Then it's like RCA, not it's own brand, but just a brand name. In this case, name, & IPs I suppose. Edit: I don't feel too bad now, selling Classic Nes Series Bomberman for cheap weeks back, now. Edit #2: Great that a vintage co., or @ least it's Ips, won't die. :)

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Maybe Konami thought just killing off the "studio" would bring bad press, & decided to keep Hudson alive, sorta? Or perhaps this was always their intent? Whatever the case, it's good now.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Hudson games have never really interested me apart from that Omega five for 3DS that they cancelled. I hope they revive it.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Perhaps I should download Dungeon Explorer in memory of good old Hudson. I fear now that Konami holds the rights to Hudson games will never see any of their old games again.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

I'll be happy if Hudson revives Bomberman 3DS and officially quits making Tetris. I do love Tetris, but not from the hands of Hudson.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Next thing they should make is a 3D shooting watch. And Tetris party is a great game.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I hope the Hudson name stays around. But it's still sad that things went the way they went. Ah well we can't change anything about it, sadly!

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Produced by Hudson
Published by Konami.

Sounds good, and it means in a future Bomberman that Solid Snake,Simon Belmont, and Frogger have a chance at being characters.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Prediction A lot of people will use a bee reference. On the previous entry of this topic i even accidentally put bee instead of be, relalized my mistake but didn't correct it. Maybe Hudson will beecome a better group.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Rare was the most awesome 3rd-party dev back in the N64 days. Then Crap-O-Soft bought them out and ruined their good name. A couple years later and they were releasing crappy ports and remakes of formerly brilliant IP on Xbox. Never got back their former glory as a developer. EA's also ruined a lot of brilliant small developers by buying them out as well. Hopefully, a similar fiasco doesn't happen to Hudson. It would be a disaster to have their wonderful retro games catalogue pulled off VC and ported to Xbox or PSN, only to be ruined with HD graphics and other gimmicky enhancements... :'(

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@Capt_N, things like this aren't personal, they are all business. Konami bought Hudson Soft but it was still going under, solution? Dissolve the company. But now it looks like they have decided to keep Hudson as a, smaller than before, part of Konami. What does this mean? Hudson can still make games and have a smaller risk of going under.

Mok

Mok said:

Didn't even know about Hudson until they announced its demise. Can't be a big loss to humanity.

Dodger

Dodger said:

@StarDust While good developers are ruined by large companies sometimes, Rare was already starting to flop before Microsoft got them. Hudson hasn't been doing fantastically either recently. Mario Party DS is good, haven't seen any other new Hudson games I like.

Is Hudson doing any work with Mario Party 9? I haven't seen anything saying who actually is making it. I would love to see it be a first party series. I enjoy the N64 ones but the gamecube ones start to lose their charm and MP8 just doesn't look fun at all. MPDS is fun though but it has simpler stages like the N64 ones while having creative minigames. I also have somebody to play it with. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't.