Activision Disbands Guitar Hero Business, No Entry in 2011

Posted by James Newton

DJ Hero suspended this year as well

There used to be three certainties in life: death, taxes and at least one annual entry in Activision's Guitar Hero franchise, but now that list is back down to two, as the company announces its Guitar Hero business unit is officially disbanded.

The announcement came in an earnings report in which Activision Blizzard posted net revenues of $4.45 billion for calendar year 2010:

At the same time, due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing’s Guitar Hero business unit and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011. The company also will stop development on True Crime: Hong Kong™. These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world’s best interactive entertainment experiences.

The Guitar Hero franchise's invisibility on shop shelves this year will be mirrored – if such a thing is possible – by the lack of other music games from Activision, with the company also confirming there will be no DJ Hero games released this year. Gamers waiting to scratch it up in DJ Hero 3D may be in for a long, perhaps never-ending wait.

[via gonintendo.com]

Gameday

Gameday said:

Wow theres alot of music games out there from guitar hero/rock band but i dont think it should be over. I mean what ever they are working on must be major to drop a hot franchise like so.... Right?

Sonic1994CD

Sonic1994CD said:

Come on why Activision Guitar Hero was one of your best games and to stop making True Crime:Hong Kong sad. I just hope you don't spend all that money on the crappy Call of game!

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

i was going to sell my guitar hero controller and games soon, thinking this year another game will come along with better guitars, but no, i will be keeping it now and every game i have for it. Guitar hero, the entire collection, complete at last.

ville10

ville10 said:

Well, they have been far behind the Rock Band games for some time now, so I don't really care. And with the pace that they have released new games, they pretty much dug their own grave...

Archy

Archy said:

It was about time this franchise would die, I hope Rockband dies to!

ville10

ville10 said:

@Archy: That's a bit too much, don't you think? It's okay to say you don't care, but to say you want the series to die... Some of us happen to enjoy the games you know.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I'm definitely surprised, but I guess I'll take this as an opportunity to build my Rock Band library now

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

GH series did good on the Wii, most of the times even better than their HD counterparts (though they milked it to death). RB1 port was horrible, at least afterwards they got up2date with the features GH was giving. Congrats Activision on your foresight, let Harmonix invest on what is left of the active market.

Archy

Archy said:

Well no, I don't think it's to much. This franchise has to many games out there, also I see no considerable difference between the newer and older games besides the songs. Also when a franchise gets really repetitive and you can clearly see that it's made only to make money of the few people that still have faith in it, it deserves to die. You can't say that about the Mario franchise for example. Even though there are a TON of platforming Mario games out there, each and every single of them having the same story and concept, they all offer different content, gameplay elements, art style and much much more!

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

NEWSFLASH: Activision Willingly Stops Milking Something.
In other news, a new breed of winged pigs has been discovered, and Satan has started building snow sculptures in his garden.

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

@14 LOL

Y'know, for a publisher who seems so business-oriented, they sure forgot about the fact that sales stop if you saturate the market with self-competing products. :|

ville10

ville10 said:

@13: Well when you put it that way you do have a point. However, Rock Band really isn't milking the franchise the same way, and most importantly they handle the downloadable content in a great way. To be honest thats the only reason I don't want them to die, I want more new songs. I definitely wont buy an all new game and couldn't care less if they released one, as long as they release more songs.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I think Activision realized that Guitar Hero was a decayed cow that doesn't give milk anymore

motang

motang said:

Can't say I am sad to see this game go, but what I am sad is people loosing jobs cause of it.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

It's needed to die for sometime now. The last instrument game I really liked was Beatles Rock Band, only because I am a big Beatles fan. I hope in the next couple years, they start working on totally new projects and get out of the "music" business.

lex0plex

lex0plex said:

the whole guitar hero/rock band thing was fun for a few years, but it got old just around the time when rock band 3 was released. never did play it much

XD375

XD375 said:

I believe Tony Hawk was also on the list of discontinued Activision franchises from yesterday.

Punny

Punny said:

This is truly surprising. That's okay, though. Guitar Hero went on for too long.

Tar

Tar said:

@24 I don't the the call if duty series will be canceled anytime soon, there are to many fanboys that only care about the multiplayer for them to quit making them, I don't love the series, but it wont be gone anytime soon.

revrock

revrock said:

I think this is a good thing... Now there will be less copy cat music games made every year too. Now drop Tony Hawk.

BTW, Activision regained my respect with Goldeneye 007

JohnDoe123

JohnDoe123 said:

I liked Guitar Hero... I hope they make another in 15 years.
I don't like it when developers make a new game in thier biggest franchise every year (CoD, Halo).
Its good to explore new concepts. Nintendo is great at this. Imagine how boring it would be if they made a Mario game every year and never made anything else. I like how Nintendo has so many series to choose from when they make a new game. That makes retro revivals so great.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I remember having some fun playing guitar hero with friends. Surprisingly though, I'm not that sad to see it go. I'm more sad for the people that had to be fired because of this. Hopefully Activision can send some of those people to a new team to start a new franchise.
Something fun that isn't like this or COD.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

@HolyMackeral: Guitar Hero and Rock Band are from different companies, although the same company that created Guitar Hero (Harmonix) was eventually bought by MTV Games while Red Octane (the guys that made the guitar controllers) and the Guitar Hero brand was bought by Activision, who put Neversoft on the job to develop new Guitar Hero games, while Harmonix went on to make Rock Band. Because both series are extremely similar, people believed that Guitar Hero and Rock Band were both made by the same company, but they aren't.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

And Activision has been shutting stuff down like mad since the beginning of 2010. They closed down Red Octane (like I said before were the Guitar Hero controller manufactures), fired the founders of Infinity Ward (the COD creators) and now they discontinued Guitar Hero. They have closed down more divisions than I listed. I wouldn't be surprised if Activision ends up with only a handful of developers under their command to develop for them. Then they'll probably buy some companies out and possibly repeat the cycle...

Colors

Colors said:

I cant believe the game that defined the wii music genre is discontinued

JimLad

JimLad said:

*climbs out of the rubble *
It's finally over...
People!
YOU ARE FREE!
*crowd cheers wildly *

(now we just gotta kill off rock band ;) )

_unDfined_

_unDfined_ said:

Well it's about time!!!!
Kinda disappointed to here about DJ Hero though... It's still pretty fresh to me at least

TrevorTheChan

TrevorTheChan said:

I'm gutted about the DJ Hero series. No doubt FreeStyleGames had something in DJ Hero 3 that was different to the first two. The 3DS instalment would have been interesting too. [tuts]

Pod

Pod said:

They ran that property into the GROUND!

Never added a proper adventure/story mode, never fixed the jerky menus and setlist, never did much to encourage player expression, never moved outside the narrow concepts of the notes having to actually refer to guitar tracks, and displaying your lame avatars having standing on a scene.

Guitar Hero could've been so much more.