Iwata: Making Consoles is Like Buying Sushi, and Other Insights

Posted by James Newton

Crazy comments from top dog

We could have had 3D gaming years ago, had Nintendo's experiments with the Virtual Boy, Famicom Disk System, GameCube and GameBoy Advance gone better. Does this frustrate President Satoru Iwata? Of course, but it also seemingly makes him hungry, if his comments in the latest Iwata Asks are anything to go by:

I don’t know if this is a very good example or not, but when you’re making hardware, it’s like you’re sitting in a conveyor-belt sushi shop staring at the various technologies as they pass by. As you’re watching, the moment comes when you say, “Agh! That’s what I want!” and suddenly you reach out and grab something. I think that’s what hardware development is like.

Shigeru Miyamoto joined in with the sushi theme:

You hesitate over sushi items you haven’t eaten before, and sometimes you get fooled. You snatch it up, but it’s no good.

We've tasted the 3DS and, like you, we're hungry for more. there'll be live updates next Wednesday, January 19th, letting you know when the 3DS restaurant is open for business and how much you'll be charged for a nibble.

[via nintendo.co.uk]

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

SUSHI: NOW IN 3D!

Heck yeah the time of paper-thin sushi is over

zionich

zionich said:

Im very excited for the 3DS, but is it just me, or does the launch line up leave alot to be disired?

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Just dont dip your DS in soy sauce. I won't be making that mistake again.

Pastry

Pastry said:

I'd say it is more like selling sushi.

You sell $0.50 worth of fish for $50.

Rob_mc_1

Rob_mc_1 said:

And some time in the rush you accidentally grab wasabi without realizing it and eat it pure.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

begin Miyamoto wisdom

If given the choice between having a function for making it stick out and not having one, you would say, “Make it stick out.”

end Miyamoto wisdom

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

Sony is like the guy waiting at the very start of the conveyor belt and grabbing anything that looks remotely etible. Then when they realize that they missed a really good one, they find another close enough and claim they got it first. The idea still sticks.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

Mmmm....I haven't had good sushi in a loooong time. I should go get some now. Thanks, Iwata! XD

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

Strangely, to me his analogy makes perfect sense.
I don't care much for sushi though...