Wii Responsible for Worrying Wave of Bystander Injuries

Posted by Damien McFerran

Won't somebody please think of the children?

When the Wii was first launched there was practically a media frenzy regarding the supposed flood of waggle-related mishaps. People reported cut hands, broken TV sets and black eyes, among other issues. Nintendo duly issued rubber jackets for the Wii Remote and took measures to strengthen the fabric wrist strap, and all was seemingly well with the world.

Until now, that is.

Recent reports suggest that the Wii has become the root cause of a new form of ailment: "Bystander Injury". The name leaves little to the imagination; we're talking Wii Remotes in the kisser, Balance Board falls and wild, flailing elbows. Apparently, the very young are most at risk, leading to calls from medical experts to properly supervise minors when playing on the Wii.

It's not all bad news, however. Traditional forms of interactive entertainment – that is, gaming with a joypad – are just as dangerous. According to the study, which ran from 2004 to 2009, seizures, eye pain and neck injuries were commonplace, caused by prolonged gaming sessions.

However, these statistics must be taken with a pinch of salt, as the actual chance of your injuring yourself whilst playing a video game is incredibly low, and much lower than other pastimes. So don't lose any sleep over it, y'hear?

[via eurogamer.net]

Splat

Splat said:

People need to just get out of the dang way when I'm playing Wii.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Check out the woman's face. Like hell that was accidental :3

The bit at the side says "Do not use the Nintendo Wii RemoteTM to resolve or make clear your relational issues"

TLink9

TLink9 said:

I always laugh at that. The girl is thinking it is so funny that he got hit. Drama is the best tag for this.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Well if your getting hit when someones playing on the Wii, the person who got hit is their fault, they shouldn't of been standing there.

ITS COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!!

timp29

timp29 said:

I was talking to a plasma/lcd screen repairer at this party, and the Wii has significantly boosted his business. He still gets a hearty laugh on the inside whenever he sees a wii remote lodged in a 42" screen.

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

People:

Yes, you do need to move your arms to play Wii.

Do you need to flail them around like a monkey without a banana? No.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Does this mean that I can enjoy people cracking open skulls with wiimotes on the next episode of House? 'Cause that would be awesomely hilarious. :D

Nintenzo

Nintenzo said:

"Mommy, I used the Wii Remote and Nunchuk on Bobby as a real Nunchuk, and now his head is bleeding and he won't wake up."

Who knows, that could have happened.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

I'm only worried when my holodeck,s safety protocols malfunctions when I'm just about getting hit by a virtual missile.
Other than that i have no worries.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Do people even READ the warnings before you start the games? That's why they put 'em there, guys!

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I'll account for most of that. Most of my injuring of bystanders is intentional. Mostly when they badmouth Nintendo. =P

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

A lot of people seem to think you need swing the Wii-Mote like a baseball bat/tennis racket/whatever like in the commercials for a game to work when you only really need to do a simple shake/waggle movement.

Also, I think it should be common sense when someone is swinging a blunt object, you should stay away, and if you see a wrist strap, use it. It’s simple as that.

If that type of thing isn’t an obvious thing to follow, then I think you shouldn’t even touch any kind of machine or electronic.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

It's no more dangerous than real sports, though they'll probably make you healthier in the long run.

AVahne

AVahne said:

They forgot the other danger of gaming with gamepads, The risk of controllers flying at the TV during fits of frustration.

Link79

Link79 said:

@ Irken
Hillarious video!

I don't understand why people feel the need to swing those things like they're trying to hit a home run. You barely have to swing at all. If kids would control themselves these injuries wouldn't happen. Calm down and stop being so hyper and you'll save money on TV's and hospital bills.
I took my strap off years ago and haven't thrown the remote once.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

The picture deserves to be in a Captain America comic book.
New enemy, the WiiWaggler.

ExploderReviews

ExploderReviews said:

One time my friend (one of my odder friends) came to my house and we were playing Playground for the Wii. We were playing dodge ball or something and he accidental flung the Wii-mote like 6 feet behind him. He was all like,"WOAH! WOAH! DID YOU SEE THAT? WHERE'D IT GO?," and the whole time i was thinking,"crap i hope its not broken!" Whenever i see a comment that says people need to calm down with the Wii-mote i think of him.

GamesX99

GamesX99 said:

Oh come on! Only un-responsible people dont notice people behind them or throw the Wii remote! Heres a tip: hold on to the Wii remote with your hands!

Sadsack_Awesome

Sadsack_Awesome said:

More injuries happen to Wii Remotes than to people... damn, i could hardly afford my third one...
And lol, I change my avatar way too often

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

I always laugh when I see in "stand in a big room" picture when a wii game starts up. There's a guy that just waves the remote in a huge circle, hitting everything in his path.

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

I almost broke my cousin's TV once when we were playing the Wii in his living room. It was during Swordplay on Wii Sports Resort, and I kept getting angry at this opponent who was really good, so I swung the Wii Remote really hard and it went flying into the TV. At least I won the round. @Sadman Your new avatar is awesome, and disturbing.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

1. Use the wrist strap.
2. For movement to be recognized by the Wii, & sensor bar, gentle swings are all that is necessary. That's actually part of the trivk to MKWii, last I rented/played it.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Stay the hell out of the way when people play Wii Sports Resort Swordplay or Wii Sports Tennis. You WILL be hit. :D