Tap Into Details of Super Street Fighter IV 3D's Touchscreen Controls

Posted by James Newton

Like a programmable pad, but flatter

Hardened Street Fighter II veterans may remember the days of programmable pads and the arguments that arose from their use in even the most casual of competitions. Essentially these pads let you "record" button inputs, making it easier to perform complex moves with a tap of a single button. Upcoming 3DS scrapper Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition will resurrect this feature with a modern twist, letting gamers assign different fighting moves to portions of the touchscreen.

With four segments to customise, gamers can assign special moves, Ultra Combos, throws, Focus Attacks or all three punches or three kicks simultaneously to each quadrant of the screen. Hopefully having to take your fingers from the buttons won't prove too tricky in the middle of battle, although we can already imagine more arguments arising from this feature's inclusion, particularly in multiplayer. Despite the advances made in the game, there are some things you just can't take out of Street Fighter.

[via andriasang.com]

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Sounds a bit cheap.......
Now, Fire Ball Spammers can now Spam fire ball faster.......

But it dose sound Great for Fast Ultra Combos, but I don't like to do it the easy way...

KyubiStewie

KyubiStewie said:

I'm hoping this would be an optional feature, but it sounds like a useful idea for newbies who have a hard time performing an Ultra.

Drewciffer

Drewciffer said:

i could NEVER figure out how to do the special moves in Street Fighter 2.
and in Soulcalibur 2 it would take me hours just to kinda get one of the super moves.

This'll be good in the beginning.. but im hoping i'll be able to master at least some of them so i wont have to rely on these cheat sheets.

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

@Drewciffer There were super moves in Soul Calibur 2?! :P /joke

I can't complain about this because input macros have been around forever, and they help new players immensely.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Spiffy, but if someone is going to use it to spam fireballs against me, then they deserve the toe taps I'm gonna use Chun-Li to deliver. =P

MDee14

MDee14 said:

this may sound stupid, but this isn't the only control option is it?

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Booo! If you think it's cheap to see fireball-dragon punch cheesiness, wait until this feature hits.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

A good player will still be able to beat someone using the touchscreen. You'd have to take your fingers away from the d-pad and the attack buttons to touch the screen leaving yourself open for that split-second. One button specials are good for a handheld though, I use one button supers on PSP Alpha 3 because its awkward doing some of them on the handheld rather than a proper controller.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

Exactly as promised, a means for people who haven't played Street Fighter since 2 to come back and enjoy the game without spending months pouring over faqs and training day after day. Not an advantage, really, just a "catch-up".

moosa

moosa said:

@13 This kinda puts me off on the whole game to be honest... Not that it doesn't look awesome. :P

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

@Bass - I'd have to disagree. You'd only need one free hand/finger to execute these moves...I'd say all but the absolute best SF player would get a substantial advantage with this scheme...hoping it's not available in online play, or is only available as its own game type.

irken004

irken004 said:

Sounds good, but I hate using my thumbs on the touchscreen. Fingerprints = not cool :P I'll stick to using the stylus.

OldVikingSchool

OldVikingSchool said:

There will be a ranking system. I personally hope that ranked games would not include the one-click combo buttons.

KiroX777

KiroX777 said:

@12 nah, if you were smart you would never take your thumb off the d-pad.

also i thought the fire ball button wasnt a big deal because i can still punish that shxt, but a dragon punch button is OD. thats way to easy to punish someone jumping. its supposed to show skill when you can react to someone jumping with a special move like a dragon punch... w/e ill still buss ass :

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

As long as they have a mode that disables this feature (especially for ranked online matches), I like this idea, as I don't like really complicated inputs to use special moves.

However, this isn't the first fighting game to use this feature. Capcom vs. SNK 2: EO on GameCube has a control option that maps your special moves to the 8 (sometimes using redundancy when the character doesn't have that many special moves) basic directions on the C-Stick.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

It'll probably be taken out for multiplayer, or at least have the option to be disabled.

The colours of the squares are kinda ugly though...

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Whats stopping you downloading it on the Virtual Console? Why wait for SSFIV when you can practice right now?