Rumour: Limited Edition Red Wii Europe-Bound Before Christmas

Posted by James Newton

Bundle gets a few tweaks

Fresh from the news that Europeans will receive Super Mario All-Stars for Wii, it looks like those lucky gamers will also receive the red Wii recently announced for Japan.

As well as containing a red Wii with matching Remote Plus and Nunchuk, Nintendo is throwing in a copy of New Super Mario Bros. Wii as well as an installed copy of Donkey Kong, rather than the Japanese bonus of an altered Super Mario Bros..

The decision to install Donkey Kong over Super Mario Bros. is a confusing one: after all, the point of these celebrations is to draw attention to the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., rather than Mario's first appearance. Still, it's a bundled game at the end of the day so it's hard to complain.

We don't have an official press release from Nintendo yet, so take this with a tiny pinch of salt for now until it's officially announced.

There's currently no word on when this will reach European shores, but expect to see it on shelves just in time for Christmas. We'll keep you up to date with any North American details we hear too.

[via paulgalenetwork.com]

James

James said:

Definitely, definitely do want. And a blue one for Sonic's 20th birthday next year, please :|

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

I'll hold out for the Zelda 25th Anniversary Edition. I think I may just have to spring for the money for an extra Wii if that one ever happens, and hope it comes to America.

Tails

Tails said:

Very nice Wii. Would have liked maybe an extra copy with SMB from the NES as well But, Donkey Kong is good too.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wow that's amazing but I already have a Wii... Then again I could use another upstairs for when one of the family members wants to play the Wii when I want to.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

All very nice, but they could have at least supplied a red stand to help keep the Wii upright. Looks horrible with the grey!

GamesX99

GamesX99 said:

WHAT ABOUT THE US?!!? Sure i dont want the red Wii but im getting jealous that EU gets everything :(

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

My prayers have been answered! I am definitely getting this for Christmas. Also, don't worry Americans, I'm sure you'll get the Red Wii and All-Stars soon (@GamesX99 To be fair, the EU is usually worse off than NA).

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

This is super awesome! I wonder what the North American version will be?

The European one seems to have it all: The new Wiimote Plus, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong AND they threw in Wii Sports. That's one heck of a bundle!

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

In won't be as valuable as the Japanese one, but it's still a very nice bundle! But, my Wii does everything that one does, so there's no point for me to get it.

@Gavin Rozee

Are you crazy? This will sell like hotcakes, regardless of the ability to transfer WiiWare/VC content. Even so, I think you can get it transferred by sending both consoles to Nintendo.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

You count on a Gold Zelda Wii whenever Skyward Sword is released in 2011. I have a feeling Nintendo will also release Link's Sword and shield for your Wii Remote and Nunchuck.

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

^ Yeah, but it would sell even more if Nintendo allowed current owners to keep their purchases.

I don't feel like transplanting my old motherboard into a new Wii again just to keep my downloads and online save files.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Obvious, not everyone's going to buy the NES version of Donkey Kong, while people would pay for SMB no questions asked, so there's your reason. ;P

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

I am more interested in the All-Stars compilation hitting the US than this, but I am happy that you EU get both..lucky!

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

It is weird that Wii Sports Resort isn't included, the Wiimote has motionplus built in, but nothing in the box uses it.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

You guys get Mario All-Stars, this awesome Wii with New Super Mario Bros. Wii packed in, a SNES Classic Controller AND a Gold Wii Wheel for Mario Bros.' 25th Anniversary, and all we get is absolutely nothing. NOTHING :(

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@LinktotheFuture. Indeed

As for no SMB. Well is it reuqired, the game is bundled with NSMBW (why not all stars?) and people will probably buy Mario all stars anyway (which has SMB on it).

But the Donkey Kong. Does the text say original edition? Whatever could that mean I wonder. I guess it promotes DKC returns.

greenellow

greenellow said:

AHHHHH, Europe is getting everything this year. and all we get are folding fans off club nintendo

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

That's nice. I want it. :) Hopefully for a limited time, they put the edited Mario game on the VC.

SageWaterDragon

SageWaterDragon said:

I already have a Wii so this doesn't really matter to me but the Zelda Wii I would get. But maybe better timing would be a golden triforce 3DS bundled with OOT 3D. Hmm.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

For a moment I thought it said "Donkey Kong Country Returns"... That'd be a nifty bonus. Pink Wii for Kirby's 20th anniversary in 2012? :D

Well, I think the next console will be out by then =_=

Iggy

Iggy said:

I plan on getting a new wii soon one for disc games and one for vc and wiiware games.The red is sweet but i perfer the black but i really like the look of that red remote tho.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

@ Starwolf_UK
I agree with you it should be. All though Nintendo wouldn't do it, they should but they're thinking how to keep the shareholders happy. Starwolf_UK I do agree with you.

I did a post yesterday saying that I bought a black Wii last Christmas thinking that as it was a limited edition it wouldn't be around for long and yet 10 months later they're still available. I think the special Mario bros built in game will become available on the VC at Christmas (maybe)

North America I really think you guys have nothing to worry about, You guys will get Super Mario All-Stars and those Red Wii's. I'd put (not much though) money on it. North America is too valauble to Nintendo, come on guys only Amercia (New York) and Japan has a Nintendo World Store we don't in the UK or in Europe.........

As for Europe getting those Wii-snes controllers, yeah it's not fair and I havn't got enough points for them either. I think that the big N should release them World-wide in stores and online to everyone.

Mr_G

Mr_G said:

I bet you anything this will come out on black friday here in the states

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

I'd like the 3DS to be bundled for the Zelda 25th anniversary, too bad we'll have to wait until 2012 for that...

JimLad

JimLad said:

No amount of teeth gritting is enough...
I can never warrant selling a console just to get another colour, even if it is the one I wanted ever since the Wii was revealed.

...why couldn't they have released blue?? or something I wasn't so bothered about! :'(

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

Just showed this to my bro since his favorite color is red. He immediately wanted it 'til I told him it was only available in Europe & Japan. I like the black Wii myself and would probably purchase one if it were possible to transfer all my WiiWare/VC purchases.