n-Space Interested in Bringing Geist Back from the Dead on 3DS

Posted by James Newton

3DS makes Cube translations easy

n-Space is a busy place to be at the moment, with a duo of handheld Bond titles in GoldenEye and Blood Stone under development as well as Call of Duty Black Ops and TRON: Evolution for Wii and DS. That hasn't stopped the developer from contemplating resurrecting its own IPs though, with GameCube spiritual shooter Geist on its "interested" list.

The studio's creative director Ted Newman revealed that similarities between the Cube and 3DS mean a cross-format transition would be relatively painless, should the desire be expressed by a certain publisher.

You know, if Nintendo was interested in getting a Geist game on 3DS, it’s certainly doable. As a fan of Geist and as someone who worked on it for three-and-a-half years, I’d love to see it. I love the whole mechanic, and I love that whole universe.

With its handheld experience, there's no doubt n-Space will be cooking up something very special for the 3DS: whether it's another adventure for John Raimi remains to be seen.

[via nintendojo.com]

Hokori

Hokori said:

wow a game Id never thought would come back... Iv never played geist but I heard it was bad... hopefully a Geist 2 or what ever will be better

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

Hell yeah I loved that game on the Gamecube!
I'm so happy :D
Hopefully it'll really be made.
I wouldn't have expected a sequel either.

Oregano

Oregano said:

Keep bugging Nintendo about it!

It's too bad Winter couldn't get a publisher too.:(

Ravage

Ravage said:

I thought Geist was pretty fun, the reviews for it were decent, but not as good as other shooters out at the time.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I don't no about a fps but this was a OK game. I wish it was eternal darkness instead. Just think of the possibilities!

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

Yeah, Geist wasn't good...

...it was fantastic! Seriously, Geist was a very, very well made, interesting and above all original title that was way more than just another first person shooter. It's a shame that some had a problem with what were for me its perfectly respectable graphics. I'm now sorry I didn't buy the game back at its release and only picked it up second hand years later. I enjoyed it immensely and would have liked to have supported it with a purchase in retrospect.

AVahne

AVahne said:

The possessing mechanic looks like it'll be extremely interesting on 3DS.

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

I heard Geist was okay, but if they improve it a little bit, it could probably be great. I hope if they put it out they don't just rush it.

Machu

Machu said:

I liked Geist, lots. Single player was good and split-screen was fun.

If I was to play it again I'd just play my GC copy, but, it's nice to know a whole new audience will get to play. Yay

gimme Geist2 on Wii, and I'll be very happy

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I rather enjoyed this little known, little appreciated game. The multiplayer modes had a pretty fun hook to them with the possession and all. From a gameplay standpoint, I'd love to see this game come back in some form.

also sad about Winter not getting a publisher :(

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

I've never heard of the game. It looks good, but a few of the games they made for the DS were pretty bad: Force Unleashed, Battlefront elite squadron, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. COD games were good though. But maybe they can do better now.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

I never played Geist, but it's supposed to be one of the Gamecube greats, so I hope they bring it to 3DS.

Objection

Objection said:

Much more positive response than I expected, didnt know anyone liked the original, which got meh to bad reviews for the most part.

siavm

siavm said:

@Tech101
They didn't make ET. That was silicon knights. I hope they do make this. The first had some good ideas. It was just that shooting felt kind of second to you ghosting things.

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

Wow, I never thought I'd see a sequel to this game. And I still doubt we will, but I'd definitely welcome one. The first game was fantastic, and a welcome break from the normal, boring FPSs of today.

Drewciffer

Drewciffer said:

Good game on the GCN.
never got to finish it though. =
One of the few shooters i liked.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

i'd love to see some life breathed into that again. (... see what i.. nevermind, you did.) it is a really fun game and an IP with a lot of potential. and i'd love to see another game or two, with Raimi becoming a playable character in the next Smash Bros. entry. :D

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

haha, bro2dagrons, I don't think they gave Raimi NEARLY enough personality to be featured in any other games. The main characters of that story were really the Volks family, in my opinion. That's what I loved about Geist--it had a great story and some exciting elements that make it much more than your average FPS

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

So we're not getting a Metroid Prime Huntder 2.........
The Best FPS game, made by Nintendo with online,Still don't know why they haven't made one for the Wii yet...

bboy1

bboy1 said:

Geist was a very ambitious game that had a great concept, however, it wasn't pulled off as good as it could have been. There was a lot in the game so it had a lot of potential to do great things. It's just that each area didn't have enough depth to really make the game memorable. E.g. You could take control of soldiers making it a FPS, but it all felt so generic and linear once you got hold of that gun. I'd really like to see this on the 3DS though. If they could remake it and make it more in depth, including character development so that there would actually be some 3rd party characters that would make a name for Nintendo, I'd be really interested.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

I never finished the game because dual analog controls for a FPS are a joke.

Not real sure with this game coming to the 3DS to be honest.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

@gren: you don't really need personality to be in Smash Bros., but as for another main series game, I see what you're saying. Still, they could always use a sequel to expand the character. it's been done before to great effect. and besides, how much personality does Link have? or Master Chief?

Balaclavab

Balaclavab said:

I think Geist was a great game :) I would love to see it re made, but a sequel was better. I thought the multiplayer was alright to, with the great unlockable characters (Towel Woman and The Chef who threw dishes), although it wasn't as good as Time Splitters, which would be better for a remake

Balaclavab

Balaclavab said:

It wasn't as good as Second Sight though, although I guess they can't really be compared

cecesigue

cecesigue said:

you guys remember Nintendo saying that they used to play first gen gamecube titles in 3d on screens back in 2000? well i think they will do it; Luigis Mansion anyone?

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

I think I'm one of the few people who thought Eternal Darkness was just "okay". I was kind of disappointed by it, especially its gameplay. The story was pretty good, but the gameplay was mostly annoying and repetitive.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

@gren: you're not alone. i never saw the appeal of it. it was clunky and horribly outdated when it was released, and even an interesting story wasn't enough for me to keep pushing myself through something so boring gameplay-wise.