THQ Announces de Blob Sequel for 2011

Posted by Sean Aaron

Latest earnings report drops reference to franchising of critically acclaimed original IP.

de Blob was one of THQ's most critically acclaimed new IPs when it was released in the second half of 2008, but despite past rumours of a sequel we've not had anything concrete said on that score until now. There's not much specific about the Wii in THQ's latest earnings report, but de Blob gets mentioned along with some new titles based upon licensed American TV programmes:

In the growing lifestyle and fitness category, we plan to release a sequel to The Biggest Loser on Wii. And as we announced on Monday, we have also planned to publish our first games based on popular television game shows Wheel of Fortune and JEOPARDY! in fiscal 2011. Finally, our de Blob franchise will be back again in fiscal 2011. We successfully launched this highly rated owned franchise in fiscal 2009 to broad critical acclaim.

Whilst the Wii isn't specifically named as the platform, given that the transcript section starts out referencing another Wii sequel and with de Blob also being a Wii game we certainly have cause for hope. Naturally if we learn of any new information you'll be the first to hear it, faithful readers!

You can read the entire transcript of the conference call at Seeking Alpha.

[via seekingalpha.com]

DK_vs_KK

DK_vs_KK said:

There's a bunch of great articles on NL today! :D

I held out on buying De Blob, because I thought there might be a sequel coming soon. I guess I was right! I'll have to wait until 2011, though...:(

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

As a Dutchman I'm proud that an idea from a Dutch gamedeveloper got this big. Hope the sequel will be good.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

De Blob is a Wii classic and I can't wait for this sequel. BTW wasn't there meant to be a De Blob DS released last year? What happened to that.

RichieTheSignPainter

RichieTheSignPainter said:

surely none of the original guys will be working on it? I thought they just bought the game from Ronimo Games.
I can't play it anyway cos i'm colourblind! :(

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

The DS never got mentioned at all, so for all we know it could well be the DS version that's getting released next year. I've contacted Blue Tongue, so hopefully they can shed some light on things.

motang

motang said:

First one was a fun game to play, loved the music. Wonder what the plot of this one will be...

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Jump button, please.

And boss battles and a little bit more variety =) other than that the first game was great.

vherub

vherub said:

surprisingly awesome news. Really enjoyed the game, tons of potential for a sequel, and to improve some of the gameplay mechanics.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

About darn time! The first one was great! Just add more varied missions and some more interesting motion controls and it'll be a classic

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@DK vs KK
It says fiscal 2011, shouldn't that start around the holidays of this year? The first de Blob was released in 2008, fiscal 2009.

ejamer

ejamer said:

@SeanAaron: Ah! Good point! So deBlob is going to return, but it could be Wii or DS. Either way it's good news. These are the kinds of games that make me love my Wii -- humorous, creative, unusual, and most importantly FUN. :)

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@SeanAaron/ejamer
I know the original DS de Blob was cancelled because the handheld studio Hexile was closed down. I imagine this is playing off of the success of the Wii version. There might be a DS version this year as well by a different developer.

Reala

Reala said:

De Blob is a great platform game, though I did find it kind of repetitive, would finish a level then save, playing another level right away felt like a chore sometimes, hopefully they find a way to address the repetition in the sequel.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

From what I heard the main issues were it really needed shorter levels and/or more save-points (as levels can drag on for hours with no saving). Great to hear it is getting a sequel as they should address that.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

That is one weird coincidence! I just returned this game this morning after renting it! :D It would be nice to see more of de Blob since it was a unique, fun game with room for improvement. Also, considering this game and Deadly Creatures seem to be the only games THQ's put out lately that even merit attention from most game publications, I think they're doing the right thing here. :P

ASDFGHJKL

ASDFGHJKL said:

Yay! I am so happy to be bored with over extended gameplay and obligatory minimum 1 hour gameplay sessions!

Rensch

Rensch said:

The potential is there, the execution turned out to be a boring game that is extremely overrated.

A sequel would be the perfect way of making a game that is very fun in concept much more interesting.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I've had some confirmation the title is de Blob 2 and Blue Tongue are doing the work, but nothing firm on the platform.

Boonehams

Boonehams said:

I think we all missed the real news in this article: A SEQUEL TO THE BIGGEST LOSER IS COMING OUT! Aren't you guys excited!?

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

A new press release confirms the game will be multiplatform, though the platforms still aren't specified.