Red Steel 2 Delayed Until 2010

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Ubisoft's sword-swinging sequel bumped into next year.

Well Red Steel fans will be getting a lump of coal in their stockings this Christmas with word from Ubisoft that their upcoming Wii sequel Red Steel 2 will now be delayed into 2010.

Red Steel 2 was originally going to be released sometime this holiday season, but according to Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot, that's just not going to happen.

"We are disappointed that we have to postpone the release of several major games, but we consider that this choice is the best one in the long-term interests of Ubisoft."

Well we guess it could be worse, but we're sure there will be a lot of Red Steel 2 fans that will be quite disappointed to hear this news. We'll keep you posted on any new developments regarding Red Steel 2 and its eventual release.

Tails

Tails said:

All For The Better for Improvements Take Your time Guys FIRST!!!

paulcmnt

paulcmnt said:

I'm kinda happy about it: it shows that they want to make it good. Secondly, now I don't have to worry about not having enough money to buy all the games I want.

Will

Will said:

It will all be worth the wait if they dont rush it and do it right, I wonder what the Third game will be like? :P

y2josh

y2josh said:

Some people were waiting on this to get on board the M+ bandwagon. Wonder if it will still come with the game. Probably will since you have to have it to play it.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

My pre-order stands and it's still looking like my first Motion Plus title since I'm unmoved by the other offerings. I just hope the £29.99 price point holds (though I think GAME has a policy about not increasing prices on pre-orders).

cheese

cheese said:

As long as it's a good game, I don't mind. Plus I don't really have the money at the moment.

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

I wonder if this is due to extra development time or whether its simply to avoid the mistakes Ubisoft has made in the past (Hello Prince of Persia: Sands of Time).

timp29

timp29 said:

Hey Betagam7: Just out of curiosity what was wrong with PoP:SoT? I'm just curious as out of the 3D prince of persia games, that was the only one I liked (unless you mean annoying camera issues).

Knux

Knux said:

That just means they are taking their time developing the game, which means it will be even better.

Metang

Metang said:

I agree with SuperSonic1990, Blaze, and diego_pmc. This shows that they actually care about how good the game is, and they're trying to make it as good as possible. :D

slatters

slatters said:

I'm in agreement with the majority. Take your time and make it all the better!
I'm sure Mario and Sonic at the winter games will fill my time up over the festive period (well that and reruns of Chritmas specials on TV) :)

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

If it means a better product in the end, then this is actually good news. I should think this would have been Ubisoft's biggest Wii game for the Christmas period, so to delay it into next year shows there's some integrity there, which is great.
Anyway, us Nintendo fans are a patient bunch, and Zelda fans especially know that a long wait is usually a good thing.* Just look at Goldeneye for the N64; it came two years after the film it was supposed to tie in with, but did that matter in the end? (Not only is it probably the best game based on a film, but surely the only one that is more popular and acclaimed than its' inspiration) Um, have I strayed from the point? Sorry...

*I don't know if this 'rule' will apply to Duke Nukem Forever.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Good. Do it right. :)
It would have been nice for Motion Plus promotion, but I'm loving Wii Sports Resort right now, myself.

Zelda? Do yourself a favor and don't think about it for awhile. :) And stay away from Wii Sports Resort because all you'll be able to think about is the next Zelda if you play it. ;)

Dicesukeinuzuka

Dicesukeinuzuka said:

22. Blaze
ditto, I think that great games should have time to be developed, and I think either Ocarina of time or Majara's mask was delayed by like years.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

I don't mind. There's far more games coming out later this year for Wii that I'm more interested in, and the extra development time will pay off in the long run.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Delays are usually good, but that quote makes me question their reasoning a bit:

They're delaying several games, not just Red Steel 2. Does this mean it's a problem with the company, rather than just them not being happy with Red Steels progress?
Also it says in the interests of Ubisoft (not the customer) which may have just been a translation/announcement slip up, but makes you wonder how much better the game will actually be because of this delay.

Of course it could just be them completely avoiding Red Steel 1s release window, so people can't say they rushed it again to get it out for christmas. :P

Alfred_ENG

Alfred_ENG said:

I am not buying this at full price. I will wait till it's about £9.99 - £14.99. It will go down in price. If it had online i would of got it from day one.

Red Steel 1 should of had online but it didn't. I payed £9.99 new for that.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@JimLad: Apparently the next Splinter Cell is also being delayed. Who knows, maybe someone decided spending a bit extra to put out a more highly regarded game is better than undermining a reputation that's already sullied in the eyes of many?

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

Good and Bad! It;s good because they will actually finish and try to make the game good! But bad because we have to wait even further for another good game!