Capcom Not Ruling Out Wii Street Fighter IV

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Never say never!

When Street Fighter IV dropped earlier this year, Wii owners once again felt the void of a major multiplatform non-release. But in the crazy upside-down world of evergreen sales patterns and delayed ports of HD games, that's not to say the game'll never see a Wii port.

Over at the Capcom-Unity boards, a member questioned whether or not a version of SFIV would, or could, ever hit Ninty's console. Some posters pointed at Tatsunoko vs. Capcom as an example of the console's fighting game capabilities; others trashed the Wii's technical inferiority and said it would never happen. According to Christian Svensson, Capcom V.P. of strategic planning:

Never is such a long time. Beyond that, I have nothing to add right now.

Capcom have proven that they aren't ones to shy away from the highly improbable on Wii, with a version of Dead Rising out and the localized Tatsunoko confirmed.

Capcom community manager Seth Killian jumped in and covered the company's bases:

While not every aspect of SFIV's presentation would likely be possible on the Wii, the core elements are obviously possible. As for "never happen!"—I'd hope that if Tatsunoko vs Capcom has taught us anything, it's that we should never say never when it comes to Capcom.

While this doesn't mean there's a Wii version of SFIV running somewhere at Capcom HQ, it sure isn't a dismissal. A port would certainly fit well with the company's pledge to spread the love more this gen. Maybe someday Wii-owners too will be able to go online and face off against Ken in every other fight!

[via capcom-unity.com]

JoeDiddley

JoeDiddley said:

Fighting games are best against real opponents. Who aren't always around locally. Capcom can do online fighters without the lag issues of SSBB

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Yeah, for fighting games to be taken seriously these days you NEED online play.

Granted, you can't beat the feeling of fighting someone in the same room but online is a very close second.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Oh no worries I'll rule it out for them.

Street Fighter IV is not coming to the Wii.

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

This would be awesome. They could make use of the classic controller, or make a fighting stick for the Wii, either way, I want a Wii version of this more than anything!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I really don't care much for Capcom's fighting games, but that Tatsunoko vs. Capcom theme song in Japanese trailers is pretty cool.

Anyone know if the music is staying in the localised release?

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Wow !
Please make it happen Capcom please pretty please With Cream & Suger on top & maybe even with a cherry as well .
What would be cool if Capcom manage an agrement with Nintendo to allow a Street Fighter IV themed Classic Controller Pro with it .

Noire

Noire said:

This would be sweet if it ever happened. I would buy it in less time than it takes my heart to beat. Any excuse to Hadouken spam is an excuse I'm going to make.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

While this would be great, we already have Tatsunko Vs. Capcom coming our way (As a Wii exclusive), so I can live without this, unless the possible Wii version does turn out to be better then Tatsunko Vs. Capcom.

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

I could never really get behind Street Fighter before, but IV was very fun. Please, Capcom, don't drop the ball like Namco did!

Rm88

Rm88 said:

I love SFIV, having a Wii version would be pretty awesome. If somehow this happens, and somehow we also get some kind of Tekken game, I'd have no reason to play PS3 anymore... except for Ratchet.

damascus

damascus said:

THIS again?!

I'm sorry but it will never happen. Capcom is just trying to be corteous to Wii gamers. I can already see that Capcom prefers the HD consoles for their 'big gun games' and Wii for their 'crap/on-rails/ports'. they will do Wii games ONLY to get the profit to make AAA HD games.

so quit it Capcom, stop baiting Wii gamers with false hope.

dbolt

dbolt said:

I'll just get SFIV for the PC. It's obvious this won't come for the Wii

Terra

Terra said:

While I'm usually one to support multiplatform, I wouldn't be interested if they did release it on the Wii. While i do believe the core elements would be possible on the Wii, I'd rather they focused on making a better game out of Tatsunoko vs Capcom, as even if they did release Street Fighter IV on the Wii, there's a better version on the 360 and PC I would buy instead.

madgear

madgear said:

It will happen like it happened for Megadrive owners back when Street Fighter 2 was released. Everyone thought there was no way Megadrive owners would ever see it on their machine - it couldn't handle it for a start they said.

So I'm hoping for Street Fighter 4 Special Champion Edition (complete with car smashing bonus stage).

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

If we get this on the Wii, then that will be ace - but in the meantime, I'll stick with the Steam version...

City_Of_Delusion

City_Of_Delusion said:

@20: T vs C getting a Euro and American release. Your point has been defeated.

Don't expect it any time soon, however: there's a PC version to be done first.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I don't care anymore. I have it for the XBox 360, which I had to buy just to play SFIV.

XD375

XD375 said:

Street Fighter IV in the arcade runs on Wii hardware, much like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom arcade.

Ren

Ren said:

wow, it's interesting that people still buy those cheesy fighting games. I'd rather just beat up a real PS3 nerd on a street corner.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

Even though I have the PS3 version, I recognize the demand Wii owners have for fighting games and I hope this game makes its way to Wii.

motang

motang said:

Come on Capcom, this is only game I want on the PS3, and I don't feel like spending $400+ for one game.

MAXIMUS

MAXIMUS said:

There are so many games that will be coming to the Wii in the near future that I say, "screw them." I refuse to buy another console just to play their game. If they want my dollars, then they should make a game for MY console.

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

I can't say I'm too bothered with the prospect of playing SFII again, only with ugly 3D graphics this time.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

With Tatsunoko vs. Capcom coming to NA Wii soon, I seem to lose interest in a Wii version of SFIV now but it could happen. Nobody ever thought Street Fighter Alpha 2 (which debut on arcade, Sega Saturn, and PS1) was possible on the Super NES back at the time but it did and plays almost true to the arcade. I don't see why it's impossible for SFIV not to be release for Wii, it would look downgraded yes, but it would still plays true to the original.