Tiki Towers Coming to WiiWare in December

Posted by Darren Calvert

Details for a mysterious new WiiWare game called Tiki Towers have been exclusively given to us by RealNetworks along with 10 screenshots which you can see below in our gallery.

It does appear that this game has a hint of World of Goo about it as it also involves construction. Here is the game description:

Tiki Towers is a game of construction, destruction, problem solving, and monkeys! You must reclaim the islands of your tribe by defeating series of evil enemy chiefs. Work with your monkey friends to build towers out of native materials such as bamboo poles, coconuts, and vines. Match wits against the enemy chiefs bent on destroying your towers and driving you from the island, navigate levels filled with crazy building challenges, and deal with unfriendly wildlife and other environmental obstacles. Assign monkeys to chant for the BananaMana necessary to cast spells that counter the attacks of the enemy chiefs. Play in either single player or two-player cooperative mode.

Tiki Towers will be available on WiiWare in North America on the 8th of December for 1000 Wii Points. Interestingly this will also be a simultaneous release on the iPhone and other mobile devices too.

Watch this space for more info including an upcoming video of the game in action.

Update (17th Nov): We have updated the screenshot gallery with fresh images which show Tiki Towers in a much better light!

Terra

Terra said:

This looks quite good. World of Goo isn't my type of game and i'm sure that if this is similar, it won't be for me either unfortunately. Still, i reckon those who did like WOG will enjoy this to an extent but this will certainly not be as good as WOG

Ziondood

Ziondood said:

Looks alot like world of goo to me.
i just played the demo if wog and im definitely going to download that
this one im not to excited about
oh well

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

How do they know the 8th Dec release date already? That's kinda strange.
Apart from that, the game looks fairly good so far.

gameking23 said:

This game does look alot like Wog. As for this being shovelware I'll wait to see what the reveiw says b4 I make up my mind.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Did the developers even look at those screen shots before sending them out?
Or did this site steal those while they weren't looking?

Because usually developers send out the best shots to make their game look good.
And if that's the best they have, they can keep their monkeys.

darkmagi_82

darkmagi_82 said:

This looks like a cheap knockoff of World of Goo. . . shame on Realnetworks.
I don't think anything could surpass World of Goo except a sequel :P

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Wog will be enough for me. don't need an inferior (and generic) looking copy of it too thanks...

Objection

Objection said:

The graphics, even for wiiware, could be better. And I already have World of Goo, thank you very much.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

If it does turn out just like WoG, or even just a WoG with extra features, I think that they would probably be better giving up now, because the only people that they'll sell a rubbishy-er version of WoG are the really stupid ones - and all of those are busy killing people via their 360's anyway.

gameking23 said:

@Wiiloveit do you not like games where you kill people? Just asking because of some of your posts.
As for me I do not like games where you kill people.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@gameking: I just don't like mindless murderousness (ie: the reason many kids choose to get a 360 instead of a Wii). Killing people is okay in some situations: such as if they're coming to kill you. Killing people for no reasons (fun or not) is just mental.
As my young sister says: "it's bad to kill people in a church".

gameking23 said:

Thanks @Wiiloveit for clearing that up for me I do agree with you on that subject. Self defense really is the only justification for killing anyone in any context video game or not. It is sad that in video games today there is a ton of senseless killings going on. :(

Fortunatly Tiki Tower does not look like anyone will be killing anyone else. :)

Also Congrats on the World of Goo comming to Europe. You should enjoy this game alot I sure did actualy I have already won it and still go back and play over some of the levels. So there is a ton of replay value. I hope they come out with a World of Goo 2.

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

Tiki Tower doesn't look all bad. I'm up for some games from RealNetworks, as they have some licenses I think would transfer well to Wii (like Bejeweled, for example).

@Wiiloveit & gameking23:
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with killing in a video game, mindless or not. Metal Slug is one of the best games ever, imo, and there's a lot of senseless killing going on in that entire series. Same with Megaman, and even the Mario series. (robots and turtles have feelings, too)
In fact, I'm fairly certain the only genre that doesn't have people killing other people in one form or another are puzzle and sports, and it occurs there from time to time, too.

It seems you dislike realistic violence, like blood and painful screaming. But the 360 gets a bad rap, because while those titles are certainly the most popular, it's not because that's all they've got. There are a lot of standout titles that don't feature such violence, and many of them aren't available for Wii or even PS3.

I think violence in video games doesn't have a place when the writers attempt to humanize the context of the game (like GTA4, for example) because you have to be careful about adding moral implications to a medium that - while it can be art - is generally entertainment. (Shadow of the Colossus is a perfect example of this done right)

Gaming fun is based on a foundation of doing things without thinking about what it implies. That's why we have heroes who are famous for eating everything in sight, eating shrooms of various color and shapes, and eating rare meat off the ground.

Objection

Objection said:

Whoa, the subject got deep here. I think that violence in video games is fine and inevitable anyway, but titles should respect real-life (as in, happened already) scenarios and be careful when making titles that could be mimicked in real-life.

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

Lol, well idk about that. There's been stories circulating about kids who've stomped their pet turtles hoping they would pop out in their undies like in Super Mario World.

I think the real problem is getting people to understand the difference between fantasy and reality. We don't have this issue with alternate-reality books and movies - why video games?

Edit: Also, there's a famous vertical shmup series that tasks you to kill Japanese pilots using crazy power ups within the realm of World War II. It's the 194X series, by Capcom. A Japanese company. Honestly? I think some people just take things meant to entertain as a personal offense, which is a little too far if you ask me.

gameking23 said:

Yes, I do dislike realistic violence. I never said that I do not like 360 or PS3 there are some games on those systems that I like. None of them have violence.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

@ gameking23
I agree some games do cross the line and go overboard with violence. Some developers know extreme violence =controversy =$$$$$

This Tiki Towers game looks a little rough around the edges though

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

@Tony:
I have to disagree, because I don't think any developer relies on a games' possible controversy as a money factor. There are games like NARC, a re-imagining of an arcade classic, which features high violence and the ability to do various drugs and even take bribes - essentially, you can be a dirty cop. There's also The Punisher game, which was done to coincide with the release of the new(er) Punisher movie. That game had tons of violence, and some brutality in it is only rivaled by Gears of War or the cartoonish Mortal Kombat fatalities.

Why, then, is there no controversy? Because it isn't popular. And it's not popular because it's not fun to play.

Also, I'm hoping that the backgrounds for Tiki Towers only look that way because these are images from a development build.

@gameking23:
I didn't mean to insinuate that you disliked the 360. I just wanted to point out that it's pretty common for gamers - who they themselves dislike being labeled - to label the 360 as a console for violent games, when that's not really the case. It's only because the "cool kid" 360 games have lots and lots of violence in it. There a plenty of hyper-violent games on the Wii, too, but somehow Nintendo still manages to hold that look of "hey, we're not pedo but we certainly love the kiddies" that's plagued them all these years.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Single greatest sentence I've ever read on this site.
As for the topic at hand, it's better I don't offer my opinion.
I'd manage to offend more people than usual.

gameking23 said:

Thanks @Big=Sexy for explaining what you ment about 360 and PS3. Why does it seem to some people that Nintendo needs to get away from this famly friendly perseption and turn into this bad boy type of company? It appears that Nintendo has been doing quite well with there famly friendly view just look at thier sales they have gone threw the roof.

Serpent

Serpent said:

I hate RealNetwork, all they do is rip-off other games and put there own twist in them. I hope they dont start flooding up Wii-ware.

gameking23 said:

@Serpent do you have any proof that RealNetwork has rip-offed any other game ideas? Because this could just be a coincidence.

shadows262

shadows262 said:

@alexsays
First thing nintendo can do to step up to the hardcore audience is to make an M-rated Zelda.
Possibly an M-rated Metroid!?

Serpent

Serpent said:

@gameking23
I dont need proof, Real arcade is known to have clones of other games.

@shadows262
An M-rated Zelda/Metroid is a dumb idea. A game doesn't need a M rating to be good. Also Nintendo would lose more money.

gameking23 said:

Why does a game have to have a M-rating to be good? I have alot of lower rated games and I think they are just as fun or more so than M-rated games.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Oh yes.
Making a Zelda/Metroid rated M, so only people above a certain age can play, is a great idea.
I'm not sure why Nintendo hasn't realized this.
Who wouldn't want to cut their user base?

I mean, instead of your game being accessible to everyone, it's only accessible to those above the age of whatever.
And who wouldn't want that?

Please stop pressing the "Post Comment" button.

Draygone

Draygone said:

Nah, those aren't PS1 graphics. PS1 textures aren't smoothed out like that. You can see the individual pixels of PS1 textures. No, those blurred textures are more reminiscent of N64 graphics. But that doesn't matter to me, 'cause I still love my N64 and if this means the game isn't a memory hog, I'm fine with it.

However, the game does scream "World of Goo" ripoff.

shadows262

shadows262 said:

well i juss hope nintendo stops this kiddy stuff.
make a good game that us gamers who`ve been playing your games since the NES can play and enjoy.
unlike “mario party” and “mario golf” that are mediocre and 8 year olds can play. how bout more games like Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3! you guys get what im saying?

gameking23 said:

They should make more games like Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3. While mario golf is fun and I have had fun with Mario Party except with the last two 7 and 8.

shadows262

shadows262 said:

@gameking23
i liked 8 but not so much 6 and 7 idk though
and mario golf... horrible i liked mario tennis, baseball, and the soccer one you know strikers

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

I'd bet dollars and donuts you couldn't tell me what a NES looks like without Google.

You realize Super Mario Galaxy is just as casual as Mario Golf and Mario Party right?
They're games made for everyone, including eight year olds.

I'm not sure why you want Nintendo to be more like Sony and Microsoft.
What intelligent person wants three gaming companies shipping out the EXACT same things?

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

I don't like knock offs! so I'll stick with my World of Goo.
BTW can someone tell me what the term shovelware means?

shadows262

shadows262 said:

@alexsays
obviously you`ve never played super mario galaxy and i`ve played more NES games than anyone on this site i could name 20 games of the top of my head right now
@gameking23
i have to strongly agree with you

Nintendork

Nintendork said:

@Shadows262 & Alexsays
Super Mario Galaxy is both casual & hardcore, my casual nephew had just as much fun playing it as me.

Back to the subject, I might get this if the reviews are good(if not, I'm getting WoG :D)

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

obviously you`ve never played super mario galaxy
So you're saying Galaxy is a hardcore game aimed towards older gamers?

Yes, I'm clearly the one here who has no idea what they're talking about.

gameking23 said:

@Nintendork you should get WoG it is definitly worth it I have it and I can see why WWW gave it a 10/10. As 4 Tiki Towers I imagine it will get a 7 or lower.

@AlexSays Mario Galaxy is aimed towards keeping hardcore gamers happy and yet lets casual gamers play at thier own pace. So in other words this game keeps both groups of people happy.

P.S. to AlexSays have you ever played this game?

shadows262

shadows262 said:

@gameking23
its more on the hardcore mario side i think because i`d love to see a casual gamer get all 120 stars.
i got 114 and i`ve been playing mario games let alone games in general since i was 4. been watching videos game since i was 2 or so
@alexsays
have you ever held a NES controller before?

gameking23 said:

@shadows262 Good one with the NES controller. I do agree that the game leans more toward hardcore gamers. I have collected all 120 stars and am now working to collect them again with Luigi.

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

AlexSays said : I'd manage to offend more people than usual.

I find that hard to believe. I've seen some of your posts, and you manage to offend people quite easily, intentional or not. I find it rather hilarious, because your sarcasm is common among fanboys but your amount of knowledge is not.

@shadows262:
Not to echo other comments, but the game's rating should be the last thing you should worry about when deciding whether a game will be fun or not. Expanding your userbase and creating enjoyable games rely on a lot of factors, but I can guarantee that purposefully raising your rating by adding violence and vulgar language is not one of them.

If indeed we needed another Zelda or Metroid game, we'd need one in the vein of the Windwaker or Prime series - not because of the aesthetics, but because they actually evolved the series by enhancing play concepts we were familiar with and adding new conventions that made the game more enjoyable and interesting between installments.

What we don't need is another dark, moody, "more adult" Zelda that's just gonna copy everything from Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past and pretend its new by calling it something different. I don't care what anyone says - Twilight Realm is Dark World.

Also Hudson needs to stick to Bomberman games until they learn how to make a Mario Party game that isn't dependent on luck 85% of the time.

Edit: I agree with AlexSays. Mario Galaxy is not hardcore, though the way Nintendo's headed they would tell you that it was aimed at the core gamer. Just like Animal Crossing, it has elements that hardcore gamers can appreciate, but it is by no means a game intended for hardcore gamers. A hardcore game is like the Megaman or Ninja Gaiden series. (new and old) Mario Galaxy is certainly aimed more towards the newer gamers, while using the Mario face to attempt to bring in the older crowd who is leaving Nintendo for saying crap like "Animal Crossing is for the core gamer." The fact that all levels (save Bowser's) are short enough to complete in 10 minutes is proof enough.

Draygone

Draygone said:

Laughs at the conversation going on Has this Nintendo kiddie image really gotten so out of hand that we're debating whether a Mario game is hardcore or not? :P

And to previous comment: spending all that time across empty ocean in Wind Waker did not make the game more enjoyable.

gameking23 said:

It is hard to belive that some would say that Mario is not hardcore. I mean come on of course he is hardcore it just appears that some people have forgotten that.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

It is hard to belive that some would say that Mario is not hardcore.
What in the world?
Nintendo markets Mario as a game EVERYONE can enjoy.

How the hell is that hardcore?

@alexsays
have you ever held a NES controller before?
Before you were even born.

shadows262

shadows262 said:

@gameking23
dude...dude you my friend are sooo right
everyone who used to play mario and switched to sony and microsofts games say that mario games are kiddyish and stupid and their sooo wrong

gameking23 said:

@AlexSays So you say that Everyone games can not be hardcore that a game has to be rated T or higher to be hardcore? Does that mean that Megaman 9 is not hardcore because it is rated E.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Wow.
We're not getting far at all.
Not only do these people not know what they're talking about, they can't even understand what I'm saying.

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

@Draygone:
That's for sure. I meant the elements that actually made the series better, like the more interesting puzzles and the parry technique (that they subsequently downgraded in Twilight Princess). The blank expanse of ocean always bored me, even when searching for treasure.

I suppose a better example is the hated/cherished Majora's Mask, where the inclusion of transformation and the task of repeating those three days made a Zelda so unique they've yet to reproduce one like it.

I don't think this is related to their kiddie image, either. Yoshi's Island is one of the best platformers ever to come from the big N, but you still can't label it as hardcore because the game was aimed towards audiences who hadn't really played games before. It's apparent in its tutorial, and it's even more evident when you try to chart the game's difficulty curve.

Then you look at Metroid Prime, which I doubt anyone would say has a kiddie image. That game is aimed toward the hardcore audience - but again, this has nothing to do with its look. The game has a control scheme and difficulty curve that casual gamers can't/won't put up with.

An example of a hardcore game with a kiddie image would be Megaman, with its cutesy style graphics. You'd be hard pressed to find one in this series that's not aimed towards hardcore gamers. But that's what Capcom does.

shadows262

shadows262 said:

@gameking23
dude i havent beat it yet but so far i have wasted a lot of time and tears
o and the ghostly galaxy purple coin round its so stupid

shadows262

shadows262 said:

how did u beat it?
o is luigi mode harder than mario mode?
galaxy has really good graphics

gameking23 said:

@Shadows262 I tried random moves and eventualy got it.
Luigi mode for the most part is not harder than Mario except that Luigi slips around alot. Galaxies graphics are awsome. :)

shadows262

shadows262 said:

@gameking23
luigi is a goof ball anyway
graphics are amazing man
ive been playin it a lot lately its addicting
btw are you getting animal crossing city folk tommorrow because i am

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

@gameking23:
AlexSays said : What in the world?
Nintendo markets Mario as a game EVERYONE can enjoy.
How the hell is that hardcore?

He's not talking about the ESRB rating, here. He's talking about the audience they're aiming for. Have you ever heard anyone say "man, that mario game is so hard. I can't finish it." Probably not. The above situation (dude i havent beat it yet but so far i have wasted a lot of time and tears o and the ghostly galaxy purple coin round its so stupid) is more common, but those stages aren't required to complete the game. They're extra content, intended for the hardcore gamers who do buy this game, even though the game is marketed for newcomers and casual gamers.

Have you ever played or talked to anyone who's played Yoshi's Island? The hardcore gamers can tell you - trying to get 100% and clearing all the EX stages are challenging. But it's not required. You can finish the game with 20% on every stage and still only miss out on the extra content intended for the hardcore gamer.

It's this kind of thing that makes them something other than hardcore - not their image.

@AlexSays:
Did I imagine praise in that last post? Because it's gone now. Curious...

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I will never understand this fascination with labeling games and gamers as "hardcore" or "casual." :)

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

The more numbersigns?

@Corbie:
It probably has to do with our inherent nature to name everything. We don't just want order - we need it. We crave it.

Edit : What bothers me more is this weird split that's occurring, where "hardcore gamers" are hating on "casual gamers". THAT I don't understand.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Did I imagine praise in that last post?
Nope, it was there! lol
I just saw how I had put how you were the only person with any sense to comment so far.
And then I thought that'd be insulting to those who had posted before a majority of this nonsense, and were actually talking about the article.

And then I was too lazy to write some other compliment.
So yes, you're one of the few people to make any sense in this article.

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

@AlexSays:
Lol, okay. For a minute there I thought I suffered from foot-in-mouth immediately after you posted that, making you retract your statement.

gameking23 said:

Just a note I do not hate casual gamers frankly there are a some casual games I do like for example Animal Crossing.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

And Super Mario Galaxy?

@ Big=Sexy -- Nope, you're fine.
Sorry for the confusion. :P

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I guess that's true. We do try to categorize everything in the world. I just love the discussions where people try to define exactly what "hardcore" and "casual" games/gamers are. It's almost as much fun as the arguments about Zelda being/not being an rpg. Good stuff.

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

@AlexSays:
lol, it's cool. (this message system ate my smiley face)

@gameking23 & shadows262:
I didn't mean you guys, but that's good to hear. You don't have to be a casual gamer to enjoy casual games. Just like you don't have to be a hardcore gamer to enjoy hardcore games. The two sets of terms don't even gel properly with their definitions, so really, we should all just be called "gamers". Though, I have a hard time defining games as just "games", as we have to draw some kind of expectations from the product.

@Corbie:
This is true. The Zelda debates in particular always boil down to what defines an rpg, though, because there are so many definitions for it. Though they end shorter now that someone had the insight to create the "jrpg" genre.

Edit: I mean label. JRPG label.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Shadows. Wait, you said they should make an M-rated Zelda or Metroid? That's a great idea! And while they're at it, they can make an M-rated Mario FPS, and destroy some more childhoods! :P

Here's a lesson for ya: Kid-friendly videogame series should never ever EVER be made "dark" or "edgy". EVERRR. Did Shadow the Hedgehog teach you anything?

"anyone who used to play mario and switched to Sony and Microsofts games are kiddyish and stupid and their sooo wrong."
Not Necessarily. I've supported Sony for 10 years now (not anymore though, as I've made it official that I'm buying a 360), and I still enjoy Mario games FAR more than anything I played on Sony systems (well, except for maybe God of War. ;))

I think the term "hardcore" is hardly used properly these days. Nowadays, anything that's not a glorified tech demo, crossword/sudoku simulator or minigame collection is considered "hardcore". :P

On another note, I managed to beat the Toytime purple coin challenge in Galaxy. I must've lost, like, 300 lives in the process, but I did it. :)

And about Tiki Towers, it definitely sounds like a WoG ripoff to me, and I'm not surprised that, with the success of that game, we'd be seeing clones. As of now, I'm turned off by the N64-quality graphics, but it could wind up good. Anything with monkeys in it can't be that bad. :)

Speaking of Tiki Towers, are we going to go back and talk about that again anytime soon? No one's even mentioned it for the last 30 comments. :P

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

While I don't comment much on games I haven't actually played, it does share some traits in the screenshots that resemble World of Goo. I'll say this: If they do try to copy World of Goo, they'll have one heck of a high bar to reach. :)

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

@Mr. Cheez:
Sorry about that tangent. It's hard for me to stay on one topic once I get going.

I haven't played World of Goo, (you can thank MM9 for wasting my points beforehand) so I don't really understand how the game actually works. I guess you just build and complete the various objectives via building? From that description, yeah, this sounds the same for sure. But we've dealt with clones before, and they're never exactly the same or else they'd be good (sometimes they're better - ie, Neutopia) so maybe there's some merit to this game. The monkey helpers have me interested, and it makes me wonder whether there'll be a Lemmings like aspect where you'll have to help the monkeys along so they can continue helping you.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Big=Sexy. It's alright, lol. I can be like that too...

By the way, I agreed with everything you said. :)

gameking23 said:

@AlexSays I guess we are just going to disagree on Galaxy. Will you please answer this one question I have. Have you ever played Super Mario Galaxy?

Virus

Virus said:

Ah...so much bickering...can't you all see? We are all casual; we are all hardcore; we are all gamers. :P

Anyway, the screenshots and descriptions were a bit of a letdown for me. I was kind of hoping for a platformer...like that totally hardcore game, Super Mario Galaxy. ;)

Objection

Objection said:

@MRCHeez-Amen to that God of War statement ;)
ANyway, we seem to have gone off on a major side conversation from TIKI to VIOLENCE to CASUAL/HARDCORE to HAVE YOU EVER HELD A NES CONTROLLER? Sorry my bold isn't working The short answer to the long question is...42. Now stop arguing. ;)

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Lots of WoG complaints... I call this the Pontifex genre anyway, I think those are the games that started the "build a large structure out of sticks and deal with physics to avoid it breaking" genre.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Sorry for starting that one, y'all!

RE: the whole Casual / Hardcore thing:

Age ratings don't matter. A higher age rating doesn't result in a better game - just one with more pointless swearing or blood. Still think you need this? No More Heroes was released here with people exploding into pixels instead of blood when they died - and the game was still great.

Super Mario Galaxy = the best game ever. Although many casuals will not complete it fully and many will give up before they get to 60 stars, that doesn't mean it's necessarily a hardcore game, since anyone can still enjoy it.

It doesn't matter how old a person is to understand or enjoy games, so holding a NES controller is beside the point. You don't need to have been a gamer that long to enjoy the genre, or know enough about it. The first console I ever played was a Mega Drive (Sonic The Hedgehog 2). I enjoyed it, but my love of the hobby never kicked in until I got my PlayStation in '97, along with Crash Bandicoot. The Australian marsupial made my love of games what it is today, and even though I couldn't care less now about my PS2, I've still enjoyed many classic games this generation on the Wii Shop, and as reincarnations on the Game Boy Advance (Super Mario Advance series, here's looking at you). Even though I haven't been playing games forever, Super Mario World is my favourite game ever (or at least, it was until Super Mario Galaxy came along), and now I love a bit of hardcore gaming more than ever. Unless you've never played and loved at least some truly ace games, your opinion is still appreciated when talking about gaming.

Wow. Well... my wrist's aching now. Erm... if that ends up sounding like a random babble, forgive me.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Have you ever played Super Mario Galaxy?
I could never play a Mario game in my life, and STILL know Mario is a casual game, which everyone can enjoy.

Calling Mario hardcore is insulting Nintendo.
Stop insulting Nintendo with your slanderous H words.

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

Building games are great, I like them a lot. After playing one, the rest might feel the same. Some do, some don't. After my first wire frame building game - Bridge Builder (PC) I wanted more, some time later I got Girders (PPC) that was good and last year was great with Armadillo Run (PC) an awesome physics game.
The more of these games the better, at least that is what I think. Want to get this one and World of Goo whenever they appear in Europe (Hint Hint: hope soon...).
PS: The people asking for DLC for WoG, play this one as if it was DLC :P

gameking23 said:

@AlexSays See what I have noticed where I am at in the world is that some only buy a game based on the rating the higher supposedly being better.

FroguinZX

FroguinZX said:

Wow, you people are so argumentative. "It's hardcore!" and "It's casual!". Sad really, while the bickering continues, Nintendo just rolls around in their fat stacks of money, continuing to laugh. Nintendo doesn't make JUST hardcore games, nor casual games. They're just looking for their buck. If you like buy it, if you don't leave it. Why be petty over such frivolous things? I mean COME ON, Alex had to knock you down a couple of pegs just to set some of you straight. Just buy it and get over it.

On topic: The Jakks Pacific of WiiWare has arrived! Oh joy!

gameking23 said:

@FroguinZX Buy what? As for the discussion on hardcore versus casual I never ment for it to go this far. I just asked a question and next thing I knew we ended up talking about the current subject. I have noticed that AlexSays does normaly have good advice, but that does not mean I have to agree with everything he Says.

Objection

Objection said:

@gameking-BEcause no one else wants to, I'm going to point out that AlexSays probably has played a Mario game and you just couldn't pick it up because he writes rather intelligently. "I could never" does not = "I have not," it is his way of saying that it is REALLY OBVIOUS that Mario is a "casual" game and that nugget of truth can be discovered without playing it, though he probably has. You didn't read enough into his comment. Then again, its all beside the point since "casual/hardcore" has nothing to do with a game's quality.

FroguinZX

FroguinZX said:

Brings me back to the point that they're money grubbing [insert word](s). Why bother bickering over such things. Anyone with eyes can see that there is no such thing as hardcore and casual!

gameking23 said:

Thank you @Objection_Blaster for pointing that out for me. Sometimes it is hard to tell if AlexSays is being sarcastic or not. With everything said the Mario franchise and some of Nintendo's other franchises are just great games no matter who they apeal to.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Gameking. I'm pretty sure he has played SMG, he was just answering your question in hypothetical terms. Mario is a "casual" game, but it can be enjoyed by everyone. That's why the series (and Nintendo themselves) are so successful. I could say more, but I'll basically be repeating what Objection_Blaster says. I got your back, buddy. ;)

gameking23 said:

@Mr. Cheez nice avatar. It's so hard to belive that I managed to start this whole conversation just by asking one simple question. Hopefuly I did not offend or hurt anyones feelings during this discussion. If I did sorry. Oh, please do not leave any hypothetical you hurt my feeling posts. Thank You :)

gameking23 said:

All I did was ask you a question @Wiiloveit. I never ment for this to turn into a debate. I am sorry if you where hurt. At least one good thing came out of this we got to hear all sides of the argument I can think of.

Also sorry to RealNetworks if they came to this site and thought thier game was this many posts popular. I hope Tiki Towers is a good game.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

I refuse to agree that SMG is casual. I don't think a game being universally enjoyable makes it a casual game. If everyone liked Gears of War, that wouldn't make it casual. It just inherently isn't. I generally classify a game as casual when it has little structure/story, and its sole purpose is almost entirely for half-baked fun. Such games would include the whole Wii series (Wii Sports, Play, etc.), Mario Paint, Nintendogs, and even Guitar Hero. Guitar Hero, however is one of the rare casual games that is not half-baked and is thoroughly enjoyable (to those of us that have limited musical ability).

All of that aside, I think this game looks pretty bad. It looks like a ripoff of WoG, but it doesn't look nearly as good (not to mention not nearly as polished).

@FroguinZX - Yeah, there are no core and casual games, just like there are no tiers for Brawl... Yeah, I could easily compare Pikmin to Wii Play or Zelda to Nintendogs; the four definitely appeal to the same crowd :|. I'm sorry for the sarcasm, but IMHO there are definitely core and casual games. To say there aren't is to pretty much say there is no such thing as a genre.

Oh, and a general comment... Why does everyone think getting 120 stars on Galaxy is such tricky business? I got all 120 with Mario in 5 days, and I wasn't exactly playing for hours on end. I also thought all of the Purple Coin challenges were exceedingly easy; I lost no more than a life or two on any of them.

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

Wow! I usually just read the last few comments when there are this many but you guys had me hitting the page up button until I was back at the first comments. This was entertaining even though only a handful of comments were actually about Tiki Towers.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@gameking23: I should note that I was being slightly sarcastic, and not angry with you in that post. Look on the bright side: you got post number 100.

@Clayfrd: Mario Galaxy took me 35 hours in all (to get the first 120 stars), mainly because I had to stop and check everything because I didn't want to miss a bit of magic, but when I started my second run I was completing levels in about five minutes each. There were still quite a few tricky bits though, in particular the Luigi Purple Coin Challenge, but the fact that it wasn't too difficult (at least for experienced gamers - hey, that's what they should call us instead of hardcore!) just added to the fun.

@SilentJ: Thank you for enjoying everyone else's despair, and then telling us about it.

RE: Casual/core gaming: Has anyone else here got Guitar Hero World Tour. After a solid weekend playing with the whole band kit, I think that it is a great example of bringing "experienced" gamers and casual gamers together. The new beginners mode was a stroke of genius - with the choice of any note when the bar reaches the bottom of the screen - and the Mii Freestyle mode entertained my four year old sister for a long time (although I found it to be a good example of how Wii Music could get boring quickly).

FroguinZX

FroguinZX said:

@Clayfrd-You just contradicted yourself there. How can you say I'm right about there being no casual or "hardcore" games, but you said in your opinion there is? It's pretty backwards how you would say Guitar Hero: World Tour is casual but Super Mario Galaxy is not? Why classify every single game because of a "casual" or "hardcore" premise?

Bob: hey Joe! Look at what I found, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for $40!

Joe: Sorry, I won't understand or enjoy it because it's a hardcore game. Let's get a casual game instead. holds up Mario Kart Wii

Bob: Eww! Casual game! I don't want it! I need something that has a certain title to win my approval!

If this is what you've all stooped down to for the deciding factor for buying a game, my hope and respect for society just took a substantial drop because god forbid we buy anything that's fun but might be considered "casual" in their eyes.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

@FroguinZX - I was being sarcastic. Since I said I enjoy Guitar Hero, though, I can still enjoy the occasional casual game, like Mario Kart. I don't base my purchases entirely on whether or not something's casual or core, but I do think that those classifications exist.

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

@Wiiloveit
You're Welcome! But I didn't see any despair. This was an interesting discussion regarding casual/hardcore. Also, I'm extremely jealous of you right now for having Guitar Hero World Tour. It sounds awesome! I'm really interested in trying out the new drum kit and Tool songs. I heard the actual Tool stage sucks but I really want to play the songs. GHWT is probably my most wanted game after Resident Evil 5.

Crazynoodle

Crazynoodle said:

well, just b/c u guys have talked about galxy and animal crossing, are they good games? B/C ive been thinking about buying one of them. I loved super mario 64, but never played animal crossing, and dont really know what you do in it.

FroguinZX

FroguinZX said:

Get Animal Crossing. Super Mario Galaxy begins to feel more like a chore after you finish the initial 60 star goal. Although if you don't learn to enjoy the full Animal Crossing experience, you'll get bored quickly with that also.

Serpent

Serpent said:

How ironic, in Animal Crossing you actually do chores.
I would get Mario Galaxy instead becouse your already used to mario 64. Animal Crossing isn't something anyone can enjoy so you should rent it or play an older animal crossing game and see if you like it first.

Objection

Objection said:

I disagree. Animal Crossing got old fast for me (the GCN one) but I enjoyed Galaxy all the way through.
As for FROGUIN's example: not the best, since both of those games are great, though I prefer Zelda.

Nintendork

Nintendork said:

Here's an idea, lets keep posting a ridiculously huge amount of comments on a subject that has no relation to this page. :D

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

@Nintendork:
You're doing a fine job living up to your handle. :P

@Animal Crossing Vs Super Mario Galaxy:
I love both games, but if I had to choose I'd take Galaxy, even though just from sheer depth of content I'd end up playing AC a lot more.

For me, it boils down to long term. Galaxy is a platformer, whose purpose is pretty clear from beginning to end. Once you finish it, you'll probably put it away until a few years later. You'll see it and go "hey, that was pretty fun I think I want to play it again."

That has never happened to me with Animal Crossing, though I can attest that I've spent at least 2 years playing only one version of it, until I got bored. Then I put it away and never touched it again. Sure, I thought of it, but then the amount of tasks I want to do set in and I decide I'd be better off playing something that won't steal my soul.

Also I take full blame for creating a large debate. I egged it on because I was curious. But it was fun and it's an interesting read, imo, so was it really that bad when you think about it?

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

@Big=Sexy- Exactly. I pull SMG back out all of the time to go back and play my favorite stars. I also try to find ways to get stars "the hard way." For example, I have gotten the star Trouble on the Tower without pressing any buttons. I actually have a website with a list of those kinds of challenges here (I get about one visitor in a blue moon. Maybe posting here will get a hit or two...). Anyway, I think Galaxy is overall a better buy. I've gotten all stars w/ both brothers and 9999 star bits with Luigi, and I still find it fun.

EDIT:
Hooray! Since I posted a link (above) to my website, I've had a massive traffic increase (it's still modest, less than 100 hits a day by fewer than 20 different people, but that's way more than before). Thanks to anyone who checked it out. Remember, if you know any tricks, please post them in the guestbook or send them directly to me via the contact form. I apologize for the lack of many tricks (at least for Sunshine), but with the exception of one or maybe two, all of the tricks were found by me. I can only come up with so many. Please send me any tricks or (interesting) glitches you've found. I'd love to expand the site. It helps me practice HTML too.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

So hey, I think this is the first time a WiiWare game was confirmed THREE WEEKS in advance.

gameking23 said:

Animal Crossing is a great game to play when you need to relax. @Wiiloveit glad to hear you are not mad at me. :) I just got Cubello and my verdict is that Cubello is AWSOME if you can only get one get this one. :D

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@silentJ: Bear in mind though, that I've now got hardly any money to live on for the next two months - so it's not that great really. The game is teh awesomes though

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

@Wiiloveit
Yeah, that's exactly why I don't have it yet. I could get at least 3 new games for the price of ghwt. I'm sure it's worth every penny though. I'll definitely have to get it within 6 months. Keep enjoying it!

@Gameking23
Glad to see another Cubello fan. I love that game!

As for Tiki Towers, I don't think it looks all that bad. I'll keep an eye out for the review when it's released.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@SilentJ: It is great - the drums are the only real reason to get the full thing, but they can be quite hard to master due to the foot pedal coming into play quite often as well - imagine doing the patting your head and rubbing your belly thing. Now imagine you've got ten arms, each one alternating motions. That's the drums for ya! The drums are due to released separately shortly in the future though, so you could still get the guitar with the game, or the solus game if you've got a guitar, and then buy the drums in future when you've got enough money and feel like a completely different playing experience. Any USB microphone works as well, so you don't need to get the full package for that either.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go and play through Pork & Beans (thanks to GHTunes).

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Update: We have updated the screenshot gallery with fresh images. The images we were given the other day were from an out of date build. I think everyone will agree the finished product looks A LOT more polished! :D

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

I finally got WoG, and is a very good game, but I really didn't like it that much, so I'm not buying any similar game.

You had a really interesting off topic chat in here, I enjoyed reading every post.

I miss the old times when there wasn't such a thing as hardcore/casual labels for games nor gamers; besides, all that categorisation is too subjective, for example SMG, you mat think it is casual if it was too easy for you, or hardcore if it was too hard, or for any other reason, that depends on you. I believe that any good game can be taken as far as you want; everyone can say that MK is casual, but I have a friend that transformed MK:DD in a hardcore game, he was three times champion of that game here in my city, you wouldn't believe what he can do on that game, he put a lot of effort on it.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Hmmm... I'll definitely consider it if there's a European release - though I may wait a while until I get WoG done if that's out first.
I'll still probably just end up waiting for a review though anyway, but I await its (possible) greatness!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Meh, looks pretty lame to me. Besides, I still need to get World of Goo, which will probably be much better.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

@Casual/Core debate - The bottom line is this. Nintendo raised an issue with its devotees with their obsession with pleasing their new demographic. We devotees accepted/denied the existence of their family friendly approach taken with past consoles, but the casual obsession has pushed more than a few Nintendo fans (like me) to finally consider the competition. Those of us that think a casual market exists are disgusted with N's current state. Since the customer "is always right," our opinion is all that matters or should matter to Nintendo. If we think that Nintendo is focusing too much on casual games, then they had better damn well start giving us some attention because the customer IS always right and IS the force behind Nintendo. Once these casuals tire of the Wii series, Nintendo will have sucked their wallets of all they can get, but Nintendo can release a number of core (good) games to us cores, and we'll buy up every last copy. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the fastest selling Nintendo game of all time, and this is no coincidence. Nintendo has starved us of core games (whether they truly exist is irrelevant, we think the do, therefore they do because the customer is always right), so we swarmed on March 9 to the closest midnight launch. For this reason, Nintendo should respect and cater to cores again before it's too late and N realises that the casual demographic is not a lasting one. Come on, Nintendo, hear us!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

This most certainly was an interesting debate. I wish I'd been here for it, but I ignored the new post because I don't care about the game in question. It came to my attention when Clayfrd mentioned it on a newer post.

Anyway, I think there's one simple thing missing from the casual/hardcore debate: A third category of games. Obviously, some games don't fit right into either category (actually, I'd say MOST games don't). Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, any Guitar Hero (or Rock Band), and many more would be best considered "whoever" games, or something of a similar definition. Games that can easily be approached from different mindsets and still be a full gaming experience either way.

There are still casual games that no self-respecting GAMER would touch. Nobody bothers to know their titles (though I have a better clue than some, as I work with them), and they sell only to firmly casual gamers. Most of them are shovelware. I try to steer customers away from those to stuff like Mario Party and whatever, just because they're higher quality. But the casual trash is still casual trash.

Then you have strictly hardcore games. Those include Castlevania, Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden, StarTropics, Gears of War (I think the Casual mode is pretty tough, anyway), and more. People new to gaming would be STRONGLY advised not to play these games if they want to actually enjoy their experience.

Anyway, that's my view of this situation. I doubt too many people will see it as I was so late to the party, but whatever. :P

megatron

megatron said:

i like the sounds of this game. i really don't care if it seems to be a rip off of world of goo. i really liked world of goo and would be willing to play another version of it.
but as much as i don't care about shiny graphics, this does sort of look like crap. i'm holding off further judgment until i see more and until i read a full review.
i'm willing to make some compromises if it is only 1000 for a few hours of gameplay, but there's plenty of other puzzle games out there if this turns out to be not so hot.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Clayfrd/Stuffgamer1: Well said, chaps!
RE: This game
Who cares if it's not as good as WoG? If it still turns out to be a good game, then that's all that matters.