Toki Tori Invades Japan

Posted by Damien McFerran

Remember Toki Tori? Of course you do – it’s the best Dutch export since the clog, as was clearly stated in our glowing review. It may be one of the earlier WiiWare releases but it remains a true classic that you really should download if you haven’t done so already.

Anyway, our friends over at developer Two Tribes have gotten in touch to let us know about Toki Tori’s appearance at the recent Tokyo Game Show (sadly we were washing our hair and couldn’t go).

In an amazing coincidence, Toki Tori found himself sharing floor space with Capcom – the company responsible for publishing the classic Gameboy Color prequel!

It’s a small world, eh? Behold the photographic evidence below!

Untitled

Untitled

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Brilliant game. I hope it gets the recognition it deserves over there. This reminds me that I haven't completed it though. Must get it back on my channels...

Auntman

Auntman said:

I've been interested in getting this for a long time, and now that I finally have enough points I'd like to know how long it takes to beat this game? It's VERY important 'cause I usually have more time to play games than I have games to play :P

Bensei

Bensei said:

I hope Japan gives it more love than the West

@Auntman: Depends on how intelligent you are (or how fast you tend to use Faqs:p)
It took me around two or three weeks to complete it without FAQs, but I guess I could beat it in 5 hours now (because I know every level).
It's more like a casual thing: You play some easier or one hard level and then go on to your life/other games, no matter if you suceeded or not. Sometimes you will get the solutions in the phase between wake and sleep :)

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Maybe it'll have better luck down in the Land of the Rising Sun. Toki Tori is one of the best, most underappreciated games on Wiiware.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I LOVE THIS GAME!
If you ain't got it yet, you need it.
I've got the theme tune as my phone 'tone (from the official 'site for free) and currently have the chicken as my Photo Channel picture. I still prefer LostWinds, though.

vherub

vherub said:

really enjoyed this game when it released, now that goo has raised the bar, I don't know if I still would

siavm

siavm said:

One day I may just download it. But that is probably going to be next year. I still have to download world of goo, the other art style game, and some wiiware and VC titles.

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

It is a great game and has some really good head-scratchers in it. Definitely worth the download! :)

Kriqz

Kriqz said:

"Toki Tori = The most underrated wiiware game." - most underrated post made on these forums I think!

Toki Tori, and now World of Goo, have set the bar so high for puzzlers on the Wii I can't see how anyone can beat these 2. Even the Art Style games don't compare IMO.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Yeah, didn't get around to checking this out, just too many other decent games to consider... maybe down the line.

ness

ness said:

Toki Tori is one of the best WiiWare games, and it's too bad that not many bought it =(.

JoshZTP

JoshZTP said:

I for one ABSOLUTELY LOVE Toki Tori!!!
Glad Japan can endure some of its SWEETNESS & EGGNESS!!!
:D

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Love this game, I have 7 more hard levels to go before completing it, I hope it triumphs in japan.
GO TOKI TORI!!!

David77

David77 said:

I hope japaneses people are smarter than the americans one. They are. I hope.

BigKing

BigKing said:

How about Killzone, de Blob(original version) and XTC/cannabis? :P

Crazynoodle

Crazynoodle said:

Toki tori is great, i hope japan treats iit better than the us did, i still vant manage past this one lvl...

Objection

Objection said:

So when is Japan getting Defend Your Caslte? I can't believe they haven't gotten it yet.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

@David77 - no, in general that I'm playing. Being prioritising a lot more on my gamesplaying in the last couple of years...

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

There really is something for everyone, with the bonus hard levels being absolutely mind blowingly tricky. The "eureka" moments are just the best ever though, and the puzzles are even better than those of Zack & Wiki.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Hopefully the Japanese get hooked on a game like this as it should appeal to them .
Japanese like puzzle games & Japanese like all things cute & the fact that you most probably wouldn't know that Toki Tori is Japanese for Time Bird .
So theres should be no reason for this game to fail in Japan .

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

"He looks really angry on that ad."
You'd be angry too if you're game sold like crap across the board. :P

Auntman

Auntman said:

Its also worth mentioning that Toki Tori sells pretty well at least in Europe, it was around #11 last time I checked.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

Toki Tori is grossly under appreciated (at least in NA). I wish it were doing better. I plan on (finally) finishing it tomorrow.