Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Posts 1,721 to 1,740 of 1,745

n0body

pixelman wrote:

@n0body: I'm really not interested in your in-depth analysis of the camera angles in her zero suit segments. If they wanted to throw them in, I'm fine with that; just do it at a light-hearted point, not the two most critical and emotional scenes in the game. There's a time and place for everything.

And yeah, I thought it was most effective when you only saw her eyes in her power suit; the Ridley scene was a great example of that. Can you imagine how much more moving the final scene with Adam would've been if Samus's power suit was broken down, sparking, and you could only see the desperation in her eyes? But no, Sakamoto took the campy route and made the scene completely ridiculous.

Saying you don't like the way the cinematography of one or two scenes was executed is quite different from saying the director didn't take the game as a whole seriously, don't you think? Even if you feel it was a terrible decision it's still only about one minute out of the entire experience. Where do you draw the line between being disappointed and being obsessive?

n0body

n0body

Let me say one more thing to everybody who's been using this thread as an opportunity to fling mud around.
It's called a DISCUSSION THREAD, ie: if you have something interesting and original to say, this is the place. If you want to continue finding creative ways to say "Other M is CRAP", "Sakamoto should be FIRED" and so on, you're not actually interested in discussing the game at all, are you?

Why don't you open a thread called "The Other M mud flinging thread" and continue there? I'll tell you why. It's because that thread would far too quickly be reduced to a boring pile of drivel unworthy of even an Internet forum, and you guys wouldn't have anything interesting to read in it, that's why!

You know what's NOT boring drivel?? You know what IS interesting to read?? Intelligent discussion backed up by actual information. Please feel welcome to contribute your own rather than leech off of other people's efforts.

n0body

kkslider5552000

he has a point you know

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

grumblebuzzz

n0body wrote:

Let me say one more thing to everybody who's been using this thread as an opportunity to fling mud around.
It's called a DISCUSSION THREAD, ie: if you have something interesting and original to say, this is the place. If you want to continue finding creative ways to say "Other M is CRAP", "Sakamoto should be FIRED" and so on, you're not actually interested in discussing the game at all, are you?

Why don't you open a thread called "The Other M mud flinging thread" and continue there? I'll tell you why. It's because that thread would far too quickly be reduced to a boring pile of drivel unworthy of even an Internet forum, and you guys wouldn't have anything interesting to read in it, that's why!

You know what's NOT boring drivel?? You know what IS interesting to read?? Intelligent discussion backed up by actual information. Please feel welcome to contribute your own rather than leech off of other people's efforts.

This. All of it. So tired of this endless "debate". To the mud slingers, I hope you're happy to be killing a franchise that I love by being jerks. I wonder why Nintendo isn't doing anything to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Metroid this year...

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

n0body

Kid_A wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

Metroid Prime Trilogy is not a Metroid game

early 2002 called, they want their first impressions back


This is classic.
Also, I'm still amazed by how massively polarizing Other M is. I'm starting to think it's because they inserted a lot of "japaneseyness"into a very western franchise. I love Japanese games, so I loved Other M. I love uber-melodramatic cutscenes with ridiculous stories (for laughs, obviously) and off-the-wall gameplay. I can totally understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

You bring up an interesting point. Do you think any other franchise that was (recently) made by western developers and then transferred over to Japanese ones would receive a similar reaction? I think that is quite possibly the case. It really isn't something that happens all that much AFAIK, with the opposite being far more common.

n0body

kkslider5552000

I'm often one step a way from being a weeaboo idiot so I can confirm that has nothing to do with it.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Reala

Haven't played other M so haven't a clue if its good or not, but voicing that they didn't enjoy it isn't mud slinging if they have a valid point, if all they are doing is ranting and raving that's different but genuine contribution to the discussion whether positive or negative is perfectly fine within this thread, its only a game at the end of the day remember.

Reala

Cia

n0body wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

Metroid Prime Trilogy is not a Metroid game

early 2002 called, they want their first impressions back


This is classic.
Also, I'm still amazed by how massively polarizing Other M is. I'm starting to think it's because they inserted a lot of "japaneseyness"into a very western franchise. I love Japanese games, so I loved Other M. I love uber-melodramatic cutscenes with ridiculous stories (for laughs, obviously) and off-the-wall gameplay. I can totally understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

You bring up an interesting point. Do you think any other franchise that was (recently) made by western developers and then transferred over to Japanese ones would receive a similar reaction? I think that is quite possibly the case. It really isn't something that happens all that much AFAIK, with the opposite being far more common.

you guys realise that Metroid is a japanese franchise?

Cia

retired_account

n0body wrote:

pixelman wrote:

@n0body: I'm really not interested in your in-depth analysis of the camera angles in her zero suit segments. If they wanted to throw them in, I'm fine with that; just do it at a light-hearted point, not the two most critical and emotional scenes in the game. There's a time and place for everything.

And yeah, I thought it was most effective when you only saw her eyes in her power suit; the Ridley scene was a great example of that. Can you imagine how much more moving the final scene with Adam would've been if Samus's power suit was broken down, sparking, and you could only see the desperation in her eyes? But no, Sakamoto took the campy route and made the scene completely ridiculous.

Saying you don't like the way the cinematography of one or two scenes was executed is quite different from saying the director didn't take the game as a whole seriously, don't you think? Even if you feel it was a terrible decision it's still only about one minute out of the entire experience. Where do you draw the line between being disappointed and being obsessive?

It's called the climax. If the climax is done wrong, it makes the rest of the story seem much worse because everything lead up to that one scene. Also the video you linked me reminded me how awful the script and voice acting was, which really didn't help, lol.

Anyway, sorry for repeating myself a couple times.

retired_account

Kid_A

n0body wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

Metroid Prime Trilogy is not a Metroid game

early 2002 called, they want their first impressions back


This is classic.
Also, I'm still amazed by how massively polarizing Other M is. I'm starting to think it's because they inserted a lot of "japaneseyness"into a very western franchise. I love Japanese games, so I loved Other M. I love uber-melodramatic cutscenes with ridiculous stories (for laughs, obviously) and off-the-wall gameplay. I can totally understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

You bring up an interesting point. Do you think any other franchise that was (recently) made by western developers and then transferred over to Japanese ones would receive a similar reaction? I think that is quite possibly the case. It really isn't something that happens all that much AFAIK, with the opposite being far more common.

I mean the whole controversy really boils down to expectations. With Metroid games, I just expect a great, atmospheric space-opera game with stunning art direction. I've always loved the quietness of the games, the feeling of isolation, but after playing Fusion and Prime 3 (the latter of which is my favorite Metroid) my thoughts on that changed a bit. So I was refreshed by Other M, and it also appealed to my love of Metal Gear-like Japanese extravagance/silliness. If Metroid had always been an openly Japanese game I don't think Other M would have shocked people, but the original Metroid was inspired by the Aliens, an American film, and the Prime games were developed by Retro, a studio from Texas.

Was Metroid: Other M anyone's first Metroid game, here? I'd really be interested in finding out what they thought of it, having no ties to any other game in the franchise.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

n0body

you guys realise that Metroid is a japanese franchise?

Of course
that's why I added the (recently). It's true the game also made the opposite transition back when Prime came out, but so much time had passed since the previous game, and gaming in general had changed so much that it was far more difficult to draw direct comparisons.

n0body

n0body

Kid_A wrote:

n0body wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

Metroid Prime Trilogy is not a Metroid game

early 2002 called, they want their first impressions back


This is classic.
Also, I'm still amazed by how massively polarizing Other M is. I'm starting to think it's because they inserted a lot of "japaneseyness"into a very western franchise. I love Japanese games, so I loved Other M. I love uber-melodramatic cutscenes with ridiculous stories (for laughs, obviously) and off-the-wall gameplay. I can totally understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

You bring up an interesting point. Do you think any other franchise that was (recently) made by western developers and then transferred over to Japanese ones would receive a similar reaction? I think that is quite possibly the case. It really isn't something that happens all that much AFAIK, with the opposite being far more common.

I mean the whole controversy really boils down to expectations. With Metroid games, I just expect a great, atmospheric space-opera game with stunning art direction. I've always loved the quietness of the games, the feeling of isolation, but after playing Fusion and Prime 3 (the latter of which is my favorite Metroid) my thoughts on that changed a bit. So I was refreshed by Other M, and it also appealed to my love of Metal Gear-like Japanese extravagance/silliness. If Metroid had always been an openly Japanese game I don't think Other M would have shocked people, but the original Metroid was inspired by the Aliens, an American film, and the Prime games were developed by Retro, a studio from Texas.

Was Metroid: Other M anyone's first Metroid game, here? I'd really be interested in finding out what they thought of it, having no ties to any other game in the franchise.

As you said, Metroid was indeed inspired by the Aliens films, which are American/European productions. However they also put a pretty heavy emphasis on exploration of issues related to sex, womanhood and gender roles. This is a recurring theme throughout all four films, and is evident in the characters, their relationships, all the way down to the physical design of the alien creatures and their hives. In that sense I feel it is only natural for Metroid to offer a place for such ideas as well.

What can be said is that despite these omnipresent themes in the films, they are addressed in a more subtle manner when it comes to the actual spoken text, and as you pointed out, subtlety is not defining characteristic of Japanese presentation. It's possible that together these two issues (complicated subject matter along with unsubtle delivery) were just too much for the western audience to bare.

Perhaps if a Western company had handled the exact same story, they would have done it in a way that would have been more agreeable to western tastes (and probably less agreeable to the Japanese, accordingly).

n0body

SKTTR

Mully wrote:

n0body wrote:

Let me say one more thing to everybody who's been using this thread as an opportunity to fling mud around.
It's called a DISCUSSION THREAD, ie: if you have something interesting and original to say, this is the place. If you want to continue finding creative ways to say "Other M is CRAP", "Sakamoto should be FIRED" and so on, you're not actually interested in discussing the game at all, are you?

Why don't you open a thread called "The Other M mud flinging thread" and continue there? I'll tell you why. It's because that thread would far too quickly be reduced to a boring pile of drivel unworthy of even an Internet forum, and you guys wouldn't have anything interesting to read in it, that's why!

You know what's NOT boring drivel?? You know what IS interesting to read?? Intelligent discussion backed up by actual information. Please feel welcome to contribute your own rather than leech off of other people's efforts.

This. All of it. So tired of this endless "debate". To the mud slingers, I hope you're happy to be killing a franchise that I love by being jerks. I wonder why Nintendo isn't doing anything to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Metroid this year...

Yeah, seconded, but don't worry. Metroid is too strong of a franchise to be killed. It's Sakamoto's game and if he feels he could do more with it then he will do it. He supervised the Metroid Prime games and they were pretty good too. Whatever happens to the series and whichever direction they take, I'm still here anticipating every Metroid game and get them on launch as always. I don't see the series taking a nosedive, especially not after the masterwork that Other M is.

We can be glad a game like Other M has been produced and is part of our game collections and experiences. It is available and we love it. It is the best Metroid game for many. No one can take it away from us. No one can take it away from existence. It's available and is will always be part of the Metroid history. That's all that matters.

It's just that all that exaggerated negativity turns away potential customers and all I want is more people to try out Other M and make their own mind up. Ironically, those haters are good for something and not as disposable as it seems. It keeps the Metroid Other M discussion alive. Here alone it's over 1000 posts now and this phenomenon... it's EVERYWHERE! - not just on the NL message boards. That means Other M is at least a very special game. It has a cult following and I'm part of it. And as long as someone is trying to talk it down enough people will be there to defend it! You simply cannot win, haters!

backloggery.com/SKTTR

The_Fox

SKTTR wrote:

Yeah, seconded, but don't worry. Metroid is too strong of a franchise to be killed. It's Sakamoto's game and if he feels he could do more with it then he will do it. He supervised the Metroid Prime games and they were pretty good too. Whatever happens to the series and whichever direction they take, I'm still here anticipating every Metroid game and get them on launch as always. I don't see the series taking a nosedive, especially not after the masterwork that Other M is.

We can be glad a game like Other M has been produced and is part of our game collections and experiences. It is available and we love it. It is the best Metroid game for many. No one can take it away from us. No one can take it away from existence. It's available and is will always be part of the Metroid history. That's all that matters.

It's just that all that exaggerated negativity turns away potential customers and all I want is more people to try out Other M and make their own mind up. Ironically, those haters are good for something and not as disposable as it seems. It keeps the Metroid Other M discussion alive. Here alone it's over 1000 posts now and this phenomenon... it's EVERYWHERE! - not just on the NL message boards. That means Other M is at least a very special game. It has a cult following and I'm part of it. And as long as someone is trying to talk it down enough people will be there to defend it! You simply cannot win, haters!

See, it's posts like this that helped cause the arguments to flare up in this thread. You can't blame people that dislike the game alone when you insist on being antagonizing. Just drop it and the whole thing will magically end.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

theblackdragon

The_Fox wrote:

Just drop it and the whole thing will magically end.

in a perfect world, perhaps, but i stand firmly convinced that the furor over this game will never die.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have ...

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

LordJumpMad

Metroid: Other M is the Best Metroid game ever made*
We all can agree on that!
This comment has been authorize by Adam

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

romulux

Rift wrote:

that doesn't explain why they suddenly gave Samus a different personality for Other M.

again, you have to tell me what specifically you're talking about. the japanese staff has viewed her character this way since fusion, like other m or not i don't think there were sudden changes.

a lot of the confusion probably comes from the fact that it's a japanese series written without consideration for how people on the other side of the world are going to see it. that's part of why retro was chosen to develop the prime games, since the games were popular in the west and the japanese staff didn't want to develop a game for a foreign culture they didn't intimately know.

the manga obviously was intended for the japanese audience and it's more reasonable to expect them to be familiar with samus' backstory. if you think of other m as anime then it makes a lot more sense, that doesn't mean that it's good but the presentation is very japanese and some of it doesn't translate well to a western audience. being vague and avoiding direct statements is a part of their culture, over here it can come off as bad storytelling.

example- never explicitly being told who the deleter is. is it a clumsy omission, or a way of maintaining the mystery of the plot and challenging to the player to think further about it?

of course the dialog and acting were still bad at times but that doesn't mean it was a bad story.

Kid_Crono wrote:

I know this...

i was clarifying what i meant since you misinterpreted my post?

about the old games, samus wasn't even a woman until the end of the first game, so you have to give them some leeway. metroid II started to develop who she was and super metroid took it further but they were silent games that didn't interject with the character's thoughts. samus' feelings weren't directly shown in that game, she very well could have been freaking out under that suit while she was fighting ridley, you don't know.

the prime games were also neutral about her character because it wasn't their story and they didn't want to make decisions about who she was. just because they didn't samus behaving the same way doesn't mean there's a contradiction, because they didn't show her acting in any way, that was the point, to be hands off with her character.

the only sudden change then is that other m decided to show you who she was instead of keeping quiet about it like the other games. her character had been finalized by at least the early 2000's, so if they had put an emphasis on characterizing her before you'd have seen the same person then.

Edited on by romulux

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Chrono_Cross

romulux wrote:

i was clarifying what i meant since you misinterpreted my post?

No, I saw something you remembered that was wrong and clarified for you what really happened. I know the story as good as you do, no need for a history lesson teach.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Meta-Rift

@romulux: As Fusion's story progresses, Samus grows suspicious of the Galactic Federation's/her computer's motives, and her attitude towards them becomes bitter and resentful. In Other M, she's submissive and emotionally dependent on Adam. When her ship's computer has a change of heart, it points out a crucial flaw in Samus's plan and comes up with a better idea. Other M has Adam making foolhardy decisions that really don't make sense and sometimes even cause plot holes.

When the early trailers showed Samus's new characterization, I thought people were overreacting to how she was "overly emotional", and that it wouldn't ruin her character. Even after I played it, I didn't immediately realize just how melodramatic she was.

All of this is coming from someone who couldn't care less about the story, too. Maybe Team Ninja just didn't do a good job, but I'd rather not have any chances taken. I really hope that there's never another action-oriented Metroid and Other M remains the black sheep of the series.

Meta-Rift

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic