Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 1,721 to 1,740 of 1,750

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

1,721. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

the key problem is you are ignoring the fact that Other M was written horribly.

And Fusion had like 1/5 of the dialogue for Samus that explained just as much information because it didn't treat it's audience like blind goldfish. SHOW DON'T TELL. Except for PTST, which should be told if you don't want your main character to suddenly look weak.

Like I said before, the only things they didn't make too obvious is the stuff that SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE MORE OBVIOUS.

Wow, for once I agree with you.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,722. Posted:

it had to happen someday

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

n0body

1,723. Posted:

We really need a woman or two in this discussion... preferably ones who have played the game..

n0body

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

1,724. Posted:

That woman is apparently going to be me, even though I can't stand Metroid games and have never played M:OM. Let's keep the skeezy insults out of this thread, and watch the language while we're at it, please. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

1,725. Posted:

romulux wrote:

Kid_Crono wrote:

romulux wrote:

she recklessly makes a decision to save the baby metroid and it winds up killing a lot of scientists

Really? Because If I recall Ridley was the one who did that.

she saved it from sr388 instead of destroying it like she was ordered to is what i meant. it was a big risk but she thought she could keep it a secret, she was wrong and that's what led to ridley destroying the station and stealing the metroid, it was a direct result of her decision to save the baby. she was lucky enough to stop the cloning and wipe the pirates out in the process, otherwise she would have been in deep sh*t. the general at the end of other m even states as much and samus talks about adam losing respect for her for being so reckless.

I know this...

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

n0body

1,726. Posted:

pixelman wrote:

@n0body: I'm really not interested in your in-depth analysis of the camera angles in her zero suit segments. If they wanted to throw them in, I'm fine with that; just do it at a light-hearted point, not the two most critical and emotional scenes in the game. There's a time and place for everything.

And yeah, I thought it was most effective when you only saw her eyes in her power suit; the Ridley scene was a great example of that. Can you imagine how much more moving the final scene with Adam would've been if Samus's power suit was broken down, sparking, and you could only see the desperation in her eyes? But no, Sakamoto took the campy route and made the scene completely ridiculous.

Saying you don't like the way the cinematography of one or two scenes was executed is quite different from saying the director didn't take the game as a whole seriously, don't you think? Even if you feel it was a terrible decision it's still only about one minute out of the entire experience. Where do you draw the line between being disappointed and being obsessive?

n0body

AuthorMessage

n0body

1,727. Posted:

Let me say one more thing to everybody who's been using this thread as an opportunity to fling mud around.
It's called a DISCUSSION THREAD, ie: if you have something interesting and original to say, this is the place. If you want to continue finding creative ways to say "Other M is CRAP", "Sakamoto should be FIRED" and so on, you're not actually interested in discussing the game at all, are you?

Why don't you open a thread called "The Other M mud flinging thread" and continue there? I'll tell you why. It's because that thread would far too quickly be reduced to a boring pile of drivel unworthy of even an Internet forum, and you guys wouldn't have anything interesting to read in it, that's why!

You know what's NOT boring drivel?? You know what IS interesting to read?? Intelligent discussion backed up by actual information. Please feel welcome to contribute your own rather than leech off of other people's efforts.

n0body

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,728. Posted:

he has a point you know

AuthorMessage

grumblebuzzz

1,729. Posted:

n0body wrote:

Let me say one more thing to everybody who's been using this thread as an opportunity to fling mud around.
It's called a DISCUSSION THREAD, ie: if you have something interesting and original to say, this is the place. If you want to continue finding creative ways to say "Other M is CRAP", "Sakamoto should be FIRED" and so on, you're not actually interested in discussing the game at all, are you?

Why don't you open a thread called "The Other M mud flinging thread" and continue there? I'll tell you why. It's because that thread would far too quickly be reduced to a boring pile of drivel unworthy of even an Internet forum, and you guys wouldn't have anything interesting to read in it, that's why!

You know what's NOT boring drivel?? You know what IS interesting to read?? Intelligent discussion backed up by actual information. Please feel welcome to contribute your own rather than leech off of other people's efforts.

This. All of it. So tired of this endless "debate". To the mud slingers, I hope you're happy to be killing a franchise that I love by being jerks. I wonder why Nintendo isn't doing anything to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Metroid this year...

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

AuthorMessage

n0body

1,730. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

Metroid Prime Trilogy is not a Metroid game

early 2002 called, they want their first impressions back

:D
This is classic.
Also, I'm still amazed by how massively polarizing Other M is. I'm starting to think it's because they inserted a lot of "japaneseyness"into a very western franchise. I love Japanese games, so I loved Other M. I love uber-melodramatic cutscenes with ridiculous stories (for laughs, obviously) and off-the-wall gameplay. I can totally understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

You bring up an interesting point. Do you think any other franchise that was (recently) made by western developers and then transferred over to Japanese ones would receive a similar reaction? I think that is quite possibly the case. It really isn't something that happens all that much AFAIK, with the opposite being far more common.

n0body

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,731. Posted:

I'm often one step a way from being a weeaboo idiot so I can confirm that has nothing to do with it.

AuthorMessage

Reala

1,732. Posted:

Haven't played other M so haven't a clue if its good or not, but voicing that they didn't enjoy it isn't mud slinging if they have a valid point, if all they are doing is ranting and raving that's different but genuine contribution to the discussion whether positive or negative is perfectly fine within this thread, its only a game at the end of the day remember.

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage

Cia

1,733. Posted:

n0body wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

This is classic.
Also, I'm still amazed by how massively polarizing Other M is. I'm starting to think it's because they inserted a lot of "japaneseyness"into a very western franchise. I love Japanese games, so I loved Other M. I love uber-melodramatic cutscenes with ridiculous stories (for laughs, obviously) and off-the-wall gameplay. I can totally understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

You bring up an interesting point. Do you think any other franchise that was (recently) made by western developers and then transferred over to Japanese ones would receive a similar reaction? I think that is quite possibly the case. It really isn't something that happens all that much AFAIK, with the opposite being far more common.

you guys realise that Metroid is a japanese franchise?

Cia

AuthorMessage

pixelman

1,734. Posted:

n0body wrote:

pixelman wrote:

@n0body: I'm really not interested in your in-depth analysis of the camera angles in her zero suit segments. If they wanted to throw them in, I'm fine with that; just do it at a light-hearted point, not the two most critical and emotional scenes in the game. There's a time and place for everything.

And yeah, I thought it was most effective when you only saw her eyes in her power suit; the Ridley scene was a great example of that. Can you imagine how much more moving the final scene with Adam would've been if Samus's power suit was broken down, sparking, and you could only see the desperation in her eyes? But no, Sakamoto took the campy route and made the scene completely ridiculous.

Saying you don't like the way the cinematography of one or two scenes was executed is quite different from saying the director didn't take the game as a whole seriously, don't you think? Even if you feel it was a terrible decision it's still only about one minute out of the entire experience. Where do you draw the line between being disappointed and being obsessive?

It's called the climax. If the climax is done wrong, it makes the rest of the story seem much worse because everything lead up to that one scene. Also the video you linked me reminded me how awful the script and voice acting was, which really didn't help, lol.

Anyway, sorry for repeating myself a couple times. :P

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,735. Posted:

n0body wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

This is classic.

I mean the whole controversy really boils down to expectations. With Metroid games, I just expect a great, atmospheric space-opera game with stunning art direction. I've always loved the quietness of the games, the feeling of isolation, but after playing Fusion and Prime 3 (the latter of which is my favorite Metroid) my thoughts on that changed a bit. So I was refreshed by Other M, and it also appealed to my love of Metal Gear-like Japanese extravagance/silliness. If Metroid had always been an openly Japanese game I don't think Other M would have shocked people, but the original Metroid was inspired by the Aliens, an American film, and the Prime games were developed by Retro, a studio from Texas.

Was Metroid: Other M anyone's first Metroid game, here? I'd really be interested in finding out what they thought of it, having no ties to any other game in the franchise.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

n0body

1,736. Posted:

you guys realise that Metroid is a japanese franchise?

Of course :-)
that's why I added the (recently). It's true the game also made the opposite transition back when Prime came out, but so much time had passed since the previous game, and gaming in general had changed so much that it was far more difficult to draw direct comparisons.

n0body

AuthorMessage

bezerker99

1,737. Posted:

bezerker99

AuthorMessage

n0body

1,738. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

n0body wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

This is classic.

I mean the whole controversy really boils down to expectations. With Metroid games, I just expect a great, atmospheric space-opera game with stunning art direction. I've always loved the quietness of the games, the feeling of isolation, but after playing Fusion and Prime 3 (the latter of which is my favorite Metroid) my thoughts on that changed a bit. So I was refreshed by Other M, and it also appealed to my love of Metal Gear-like Japanese extravagance/silliness. If Metroid had always been an openly Japanese game I don't think Other M would have shocked people, but the original Metroid was inspired by the Aliens, an American film, and the Prime games were developed by Retro, a studio from Texas.

Was Metroid: Other M anyone's first Metroid game, here? I'd really be interested in finding out what they thought of it, having no ties to any other game in the franchise.

As you said, Metroid was indeed inspired by the Aliens films, which are American/European productions. However they also put a pretty heavy emphasis on exploration of issues related to sex, womanhood and gender roles. This is a recurring theme throughout all four films, and is evident in the characters, their relationships, all the way down to the physical design of the alien creatures and their hives. In that sense I feel it is only natural for Metroid to offer a place for such ideas as well.

What can be said is that despite these omnipresent themes in the films, they are addressed in a more subtle manner when it comes to the actual spoken text, and as you pointed out, subtlety is not defining characteristic of Japanese presentation. It's possible that together these two issues (complicated subject matter along with unsubtle delivery) were just too much for the western audience to bare.

Perhaps if a Western company had handled the exact same story, they would have done it in a way that would have been more agreeable to western tastes (and probably less agreeable to the Japanese, accordingly).

n0body

AuthorMessage

SKTTR

1,739. Posted:

Mully wrote:

n0body wrote:

This. All of it. So tired of this endless "debate". To the mud slingers, I hope you're happy to be killing a franchise that I love by being jerks. I wonder why Nintendo isn't doing anything to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Metroid this year...

Yeah, seconded, but don't worry. Metroid is too strong of a franchise to be killed. It's Sakamoto's game and if he feels he could do more with it then he will do it. He supervised the Metroid Prime games and they were pretty good too. Whatever happens to the series and whichever direction they take, I'm still here anticipating every Metroid game and get them on launch as always. I don't see the series taking a nosedive, especially not after the masterwork that Other M is.

We can be glad a game like Other M has been produced and is part of our game collections and experiences. It is available and we love it. It is the best Metroid game for many. No one can take it away from us. No one can take it away from existence. It's available and is will always be part of the Metroid history. That's all that matters.

It's just that all that exaggerated negativity turns away potential customers and all I want is more people to try out Other M and make their own mind up. Ironically, those haters are good for something and not as disposable as it seems. It keeps the Metroid Other M discussion alive. Here alone it's over 1000 posts now and this phenomenon... it's EVERYWHERE! - not just on the NL message boards. That means Other M is at least a very special game. It has a cult following and I'm part of it. And as long as someone is trying to talk it down enough people will be there to defend it! You simply cannot win, haters!

scatterkid.weebly.com

AuthorMessage

The_Fox

1,740. Posted:

SKTTR wrote:

Yeah, seconded, but don't worry. Metroid is too strong of a franchise to be killed. It's Sakamoto's game and if he feels he could do more with it then he will do it. He supervised the Metroid Prime games and they were pretty good too. Whatever happens to the series and whichever direction they take, I'm still here anticipating every Metroid game and get them on launch as always. I don't see the series taking a nosedive, especially not after the masterwork that Other M is.

We can be glad a game like Other M has been produced and is part of our game collections and experiences. It is available and we love it. It is the best Metroid game for many. No one can take it away from us. No one can take it away from existence. It's available and is will always be part of the Metroid history. That's all that matters.

It's just that all that exaggerated negativity turns away potential customers and all I want is more people to try out Other M and make their own mind up. Ironically, those haters are good for something and not as disposable as it seems. It keeps the Metroid Other M discussion alive. Here alone it's over 1000 posts now and this phenomenon... it's EVERYWHERE! - not just on the NL message boards. That means Other M is at least a very special game. It has a cult following and I'm part of it. And as long as someone is trying to talk it down enough people will be there to defend it! You simply cannot win, haters!

See, it's posts like this that helped cause the arguments to flare up in this thread. You can't blame people that dislike the game alone when you insist on being antagonizing. Just drop it and the whole thing will magically end.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11