Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 17,021 to 17,040 of 27,917

UGXwolf

Yellowtails wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Yellowtails wrote:

Dr. Mario is better than regular Mario for one reason, Dr. Mario can use the tornado attack down B, while Mario can't.

Mewtwo should have came back as a playable character, along with other popular requests that were ignored. If there's an adventure mode like mode in the Wii U version, Mewtwo can also be a boss.

Mario's down-air begs to differ, and the FLUDD is a pretty good edge-guarding move. Also, it seems like Mewtwo may have been in the original roster and removed due to time constraints and low priority. Likely similar to Wolf and Lucas (and to some degree, Ice Climbers, though they would've made it, if they had just worked on the 3DS. I don't doubt that Ice Climbers could've been made to work, but they didn't consider them high priority enough to spend the time and money to get them running on the 3DS.)

On that note, I really don't agree with the last sentiment at all. Personally, popular requests be damned, I feel that Sakurai made a great roster and that people complaining are just butt hurt. Mewtwo might've been nice, but I prefer the game out now as it is to the game out in six months with Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, and Mewtwo in tact.

I meant you can't press down B to do the move.
I wonder what characters they consider high priority then........

Well, naturally, characters like Mario or Link are top priority. After playing RosaLuma a bit, I've realized that the Luma doesn't really wander aimlessly, but the AI seems to have less of a strict goal than Nana did. Still, this leads me to believe Ice Climbers could have worked, but RosaLuma were just higher priority. Sounds like the clone corner was low priority but took no real time to do, so they got around the problem with that. I've gotta wonder how high a priority Duck Hunt was, and apparently Pac-man was VERY high priority, since Sakurai mentioned having trouble coming up with a moveset for him, and the last character that happened to (Chrom) got replaced by Robin.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

Yoshi_Prime wrote:

I think you can like the roster and also wonder why they had to take out clone characters to replace them with clone characters. I guess that's just my opinion that you can critique things you enjoy.

Except they didn't remove clones and replace them with clones. They removed low-priority characters they didn't have time to add and put in a few bonus characters that took almost no time at all.

Yoshi_Prime

UGXwolf wrote:

Yoshi_Prime wrote:

I think you can like the roster and also wonder why they had to take out clone characters to replace them with clone characters. I guess that's just my opinion that you can critique things you enjoy.

Except they didn't remove clones and replace them with clones. They removed low-priority characters they didn't have time to add and put in a few bonus characters that took almost no time at all.

Yes. They removed low-clone characters (Lucas, Wolf) and replaced them with high-clone characters (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina). I can understand them being called bonus characters, but I still find them to be lazy.

Yoshi_Prime

Pootypie

I think that Mewtwo has a good chance of being DLC... I don't think Wolf and Lucas has a good chance though, although they need more reps.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

FriedSquid

Keep in mind that Mewtwo does still have a bigger role. Mewtwo starred yet again (albiet a different, female Mewtwo — would be cool if they used this version instead of Melee's) in one of the recent Pokemon movies, and was the first Pokemon to introduce Mega Evolution, as well as the only other Pokemon with two Mega Evolutions, the other being Charizard. I suppose in the games he's more irrelevant than Lucario (only by the fact that Lucario has had more in-game events than Mewtwo), but he is a more important figure in the movie/anime area of Pokemon, and was basically the "villain" of Pokemon. I have no problem with Greninja or Jigglypuff, but the two are the most irrelevant to the Pokemon series compared to any other Pokemon fighter there has ever been. (maybe even Pichu)

Anyways, I'm not one of those Genwunner types, nor do I think Lucario replaced Mewtwo. I do like Mewtwo a lot and I did play as Mewtwo a lot in Melee but I can't remember if his moveset was actually good... However the way I see it, he is still an important Pokemon character and if Dr. Mario can return then I think Mewtwo should, too.

I've also said before that it would be a good idea for Mewtwo, along with Ridley, to appear as DLC. Sakurai truly shouldn't care about fan demand, but if those two return it would make a difference in sales, which the Wii U desperately needs. Ultimately, people stubborn fans need to buy this Smash because they think it's the best Smash ever, and if putting Mewtwo and Ridley in it would accomplish that, then so be it.

Edited on by FriedSquid

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

UGXwolf

Squid wrote:

Keep in mind that Mewtwo does still have a bigger role. Mewtwo starred yet again (albiet a different, female Mewtwo — would be cool if they used this version instead of Melee's) in one of the recent Pokemon movies, and was the first Pokemon to introduce Mega Evolution, as well as the only other Pokemon with two Mega Evolutions, the other being Charizard. I suppose in the games he's more irrelevant than Lucario (only by the fact that Lucario has had more in-game events than Mewtwo), but he is a more important figure in the movie/anime area of Pokemon, and was basically the "villain" of Pokemon. I have no problem with Greninja or Jigglypuff, but the two are the most irrelevant to the Pokemon series compared to any other Pokemon fighter there has ever been. (maybe even Pichu)

Anyways, I'm not one of those Genwunner types, nor do I think Lucario replaced Mewtwo. I do like Mewtwo a lot and I did play as Mewtwo a lot in Melee but I can't remember if his moveset was actually good... However the way I see it, he is still an important Pokemon character and if Dr. Mario can return then I think Mewtwo should, too.

I've also said before that it would be a good idea for Mewtwo, along with Ridley, to appear as DLC. Sakurai truly shouldn't care about fan demand, but if those two return it would make a difference in sales, which the Wii U desperately needs. Ultimately, people stubborn fans need to buy this Smash because they think it's the best Smash ever, and if putting Mewtwo and Ridley in it would accomplish that, then so be it.

Also bear in mind that Greninja only got in the game because Sakurai thought he'd be the coolest of the three starters to add. Mewtwo being the first Mega Evo announced has nothing to do with the roster because that likely wasn't decided upon until much MUCH later. I also highly doubt he was the first Poke'mon considered for a Mega Evo. And look at anything involving Poke'mon, recently. Where's Mewtwo? A movie. A bonus at the end of the game. On a show to hype up the genwunners that haven't been interested in Poke'mon since Gen 2 (not calling you a genwunner, by the way). Where's Lucario? EVERYWHERE!

But I suppose that isn't the point. In all honesty, I really dislike Mewtwo. I would almost go so far as to say I hate Mewtwo, but really I just think he's way overhyped. I never liked Psychic types, even as a child, I thought Mewtwo was a horrible villain, and he represents, to me, how horribly overpowered Psychic types were in Gen 1 and why Gen 1 was really one of the worst. Not only do I think he doesn't really need to be in Smash, I just flat out don't like the character at all. This isn't even a Pac-man deal where I want someone else more. I simply dislike the character.

@TheGreatGamer I would definitely argue that Wolf would be fairly easy to incorporate and HELL his theme's already in the game! I've actually done more thinking about that, and I can't help but point out that there are THREE Star Fox themes in the game. One (Area 6) is only usable in Smash Run. But why? Ghirahim's theme (which is mixed with Ballad of the Goddess, anyways), is only available in Smash Run! Why isn't it the same for Wolf? I really do think he was a very late cut. They thought they could make him work and they ran out of time, most likely.

I would also argue that Lucas would be pretty easy to incorporate, though there's a notable lack of Mother 3 rep in this game, so he might've been a much earlier cut than Wolf was.

As for Mewtwo, I seem to recall Sakurai saying it was hard to pull data from Melee. This sounds to me a lot like how they were having trouble with team characters. Mewtwo probably could get in with enough work, but are they willing to put in that work for that particular character? Is it worth the time?

@Yoshi_Prime Again, you're using the word "replace" where it doesn't belong. "Replace" would imply that they took the spot that was designated for Wolf, Lucas, and Ice Climbers, but the cuts had nothing to do with adds. You're also mixing up "lazy" with "efficient." The truth of the matter is that Sakurai and Namco has limited time and resources for this game and removing the clone corner would do nothing more than remove three characters from the game. No one would rise to take their place. The time wouldn't have removed any of the bugs or likely even gotten the game out any faster. Calling it lazy is an insult to the team, considering how much work they put into this game. Considering how dedicated Sakurai was to this project. It's unfair to claim that they didn't try their best.

OdnetninAges

I'm best with Lucina and Sonic so far. I'm also pretty good with Mega Man, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Robin, Bowser Jr., and Duck Hunt.

I'm decent with Palutena, Pac-Man, and Shulk, but I hope to get better with them.

I don't think there's any character I particularly dislike, though. They are all really good IMO.

Console Usernames: Rc

HIGH QUALITY VIDEO GAME RIPS

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

My Anime List

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

UGXwolf

OdnetninAges wrote:

I'm best with Lucina and Sonic so far. I'm also pretty good with Mega Man, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Robin, Bowser Jr., and Duck Hunt.

I'm decent with Palutena, Pac-Man, and Shulk, but I hope to get better with them.

I don't think there's any character I particularly dislike, though. They are all really good IMO.

I find that Pac-man works really well when you play him counter-intuitively. For instance, when you wanna use his side-B to the left jump in the air and do it to the right, but curve it around under him. It mucks up the timing and makes it harder to fight back against.

FriedSquid

@UGXwof Well, I guess if I can say I want Mewtwo back because I like him, then you should be able to say he shouldn't because you dislike him. It's only our opinions so I can't argue with that!

Also, I went back to check and Mega Mewtwo Y was the first Mega Evolution to be revealed... along with Mega Lucario. So I guess in Smash Bros., Lucario hasn't necessarily replaced Mewtwo, but in the Pokemon franchise the two are at least on the same level. However it seems Lucario gets a lot more attention in the games, but Mewtwo gets more attention in the anime...

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

DBPirate

My list (in no particular order, just my favorite 12):

1. Dr. Mario
2. Bowser Jr.
3. Samus
4. Kirby
5. Meta Knight
6. Captain Falcon
7. Ness
8. Robin
9. Little Mac
10. Pac-Man
11. Mega Man
12. Duck Hunt
13. Villager
14. Lucina

Edited on by DBPirate

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

UGXwolf

@Squid Should or shouldn't doesn't really mix well with opinion, does it? X3 But my point was that I've never seen much in the character and heck, I was around for Gen 1! I went and saw the first movie in theaters! Not really the point, though, is it?

Speaking of generations, I really feel like if we added Mewtwo, we'd be over-repping Gen 1. I mean, three is pushing it. Four seems a bit crazy.

CapeSmash

Dr. Mario > Pichu > Dark Pit > Mewtwo

I like Mewtwo in PM, but I HATE using him in Melee. He is so floaty and extremely weird to control.

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

Grumblevolcano

UGXwolf wrote:

@Squid Should or shouldn't doesn't really mix well with opinion, does it? X3 But my point was that I've never seen much in the character and heck, I was around for Gen 1! I went and saw the first movie in theaters! Not really the point, though, is it?

Speaking of generations, I really feel like if we added Mewtwo, we'd be over-repping Gen 1. I mean, three is pushing it. Four seems a bit crazy.

Technically Brawl had 5 Gen 1 reps (Pikachu, Squirtle, Charizard, Ivysaur, Jigglypuff), though 3 of them was one character (Squirtle, Charizard and Ivysaur was Pokémon Trainer). Though Mewtwo has never really had any important role in the games in comparison to Lucario which has large significance in XY (don't remember about gen 4) and Greninja who is a fully evolved starter.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jariw

NintyMan wrote:

Untitled
"Now, what mode is this…?!"

Smash U Nintendo Direct arriving soon?

Edited on by jariw

jariw

TeeJay

Don't we already know what modes those are from people going through the 3DS version's coding? I can't remember what they were valled exactly though...

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

CapeSmash

Master Order and Crazy Order. Nice try, Sakurai.

CAN'T WAIT FOR BOSS BATTLES, EVENT MATCHES, GRAB THE COINS, SPECIAL SMASH, TOURNAMENT MODE, AND SMASH WORLD!!!!!!!!

"Wii U version is just an HD version of the 3DS version" - Ignorance

EDIT: ALSO 8-PLAYER SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Edited on by CapeSmash

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

May_Nyan

Special Orders, Master Orders, and Crazy Orders.

btw, does the silhouette of the pikmin character look strange to anyone else...

May_Nyan

19Robb92

Cool, I like how they use Crazy & Master hand a bit more in these games. I've always thought they were some really cool boss "characters".

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

UGXwolf

I'm calling it right now. Playable bosses. It's a thing and it's coming to your Wii U gamepad next month! I had this idea over a year ago and it's looking entirely possible, right now!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic