Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 14,041 to 14,060 of 27,917

CapeSmash

DestinyMan wrote:

@SockoMario: What if that was Sakurai's Mii fighting Mario instead, along with Iwata, Reggie, and Miyamoto fighting the others? Would you hate it then? I think you just don't like it because it has Japanese celebrity Miis who wouldn't be well-known outside Japan. There should be a newcomer video of some sort showing the Mii Fighters. They make up a newcomer, after all. I wondered why it didn't show up during E3. What if there's a different Mii Fighter video later on?

You exposed me. Anyway, they shouldn't use their resources on-- Just forget it.

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

IceClimbers

Shirma_Akayaku wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

I've heard that Kirby's MK alt is actually just what Meta Knight looks like without the mask. Also, if you don't believe the leak at this point, you're delusional.

Here's the palette swap from the Wii U version. I think this was in a batch of screenshots Nintendo released a while back.
Untitled

Yup. That's the one.

@DestinyMan I'm pretty sure the Reggie vs Iwata fight was the trailer for Mii Fighters.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Haxonberik

Unpopular opinion here guys, but i think all cuts but Ice Climbers were the ones most justified. And I honestly saw them coming.
Edit: here's a list I made waay back, a little while before Ike returned
"I'll throw in my expected missing characters:
Most veterans would likely return, the ones that may not (I think) are:
+Ice Climbers, due to technical difficulties
+Ike, may be replaced with another FE character
+Lucas (would be cool if they kept him as a Ness skin)
+Pokemon Trainer (no duh)
+ROB, he just has one game with him and is not THAT memorable
+Falco and Wolf, though the first one is more likely to stay
+Snaaaake, almost forgot him as I have basically already counted him out"

Edited on by Haxonberik

www.convectiongames.com

Shirma_Akayaku

Besides Zipzo's information, there are also few people on Twitter collecting information on the characters. Apparently, there's some sort of "Black Peach" and "Fire Peach" color swaps / alts, based on Google translate. It's not the best source since Google Translate has errors.

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

Pootypie

SockoMario wrote:

Untitled

WHAT THE **** IS THIS ****!????

It seriously had to be against miis...

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Pootypie

SockoMario wrote:

Untitled

The starting roster:

Untitled
Wait... how are you going to pick the modes like stock...?
Stage selection:

Untitled

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

UGXwolf

Haxonberik wrote:

Unpopular opinion here guys, but i think all cuts but Ice Climbers were the ones most justified. And I honestly saw them coming.

Honestly, I see putting Ness as a Lucas skin to be no less of a slap in the face than making Wolf a Fox skin. (And even then, he's just a palette swap! That's even WORSE!) I really think the hatred towards spacies is by far the most misplaced clone hate on the list. Well, it was until Lucina became a thing. Since she's essentially an advanced costume, I see no reason to hate on her. She's not actually taking up a slot on the roster someone else could occupy, but I digress.

Falco was tweaked to specialize aerial combat. Wolf was tweaked to special ground combat, juggling, and melees. Yeah, they APPEAR to act similarly, but even the all-too-similar Final Smashes suit them pretty well. Fox is standard. Falco does better in the air/has the fastest air speed. Wolf is brutal and his Landmaster is practically guaranteed one kill for every enemy on the field, but on the flip side, you can't kill an opponent twice due to limited FS time.

Don't believe me that it made that much of a difference? There was a guide a long time ago on how to avoid each Final Smash. Fox's essentially consists of standing on top of the tank to avoid attacks and getting off if he tries to lift off. Both Falco and Wolf's, on the other hand, tell you not to touch the top of the tank, if you can avoid it, because they WILL KO you. You can't react fast enough to avoid being pushed off the top of the screen with that. Falco's, you have to do a series of dodges. Maybe fake out the top of the tank, but avoid using it too often because they'll catch on. Wolf's strategy? Abused the ledge invincibility and pray he doesn't come downwards at you when recovering from the ledge, cause there's no hope, if he does that.

Wolf's Final Smash is ranked the second strongest, only second to Super Sonic. Fox and Falco, on the other hand are only considered moderately difficult to avoid. I know that was a rambling way of saying it, but even the ever-so-hated Final Smashes weren't as similar as people make them out to be. The physics changed, making the counter-strategy change with it. Wolf's specials may have seemed similar, but the way they were tweaked changed the entire strategy around them from both sides. Wolf doesn't benefit from zoning like the other spacies do. This is why I've long considered that if they were to cut a spacy, it should be Falco, and not Wolf, since air game is something Smash has in spades, but a change between short range and long range is not.

Making a Wolf-version of Fox doesn't solve this problem. Wolf's melees are nothing like Fox's, forcing his playstyle to skew more towards Fox's playstyle than Wolf's. In short, Fox does not benefit from short-ranged combat like Wolf does. They'd be cloney, still, but they'd be different enough that facing them down is two completely different games all together. Now it isn't.

Also consider that Wolf is the Game&Watch of Brawl. (Not in representation terms.) He was the last character in the game and the one the computers were best at using.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Shirma_Akayaku

Info from the event:

"Robin

He has two swords, the magic and the non-magic one. (Forgive me, not an awakening veteran).
All of tilts are using the physical sword. They have good combo ability. All of his smashes use the magic sword, which has an electric effect.

When in the air, if you use the inputs for a smash attack (and you still have the magic sword available), you will do an aerial that uses the magic sword. If you just typically hit an aerial he will use the normal sword.

You use up your magic sword quite quickly but it regenerates rather fast so it's not like it ruins your tempo. Very fast.

The fire move we've seen is actually a fireball that comes from above robins head and rains down in the vicinity in front of robin. His neutral b shoots and electric lightnig bolt straight across the stage.

The healing move is his down b and you would be surprised to know it heals for a LOT (I healed for about 20%) and it stuns your opponent while you heal. It has a start up though so it's not as easy to land as any regular grab. I can see Robin being a PAIN IN THE *** to people who can't avoid getting caught in it. Unsure if you can force break it from slapping buttons, I only played AS him.

His up b jumps up a bit and shoots wind slicers down. Important to note it's actually not straight up, he jumps jump and slides slightly to the side in the direction you're facing THEN shoots them down, so it can be a ground option too.

Marth feels very nerfed. His range seems even worse than in Brawl (I was whiffing fsmashes like crazy and I'm pretty good with tippers). Aside fr his range and no ability to double fair he seems mostly the same, aside from running faster. It's his range that REALLY feels kinda killer to His melee/brawl play style.

Tipper ing with Marth seems to require your opponent to be a lot closer than ever before, it seems he won't be as much of a spacing monster as he's always been.

This can't be overstated enough, his range feels significantly shorter (by significantly I mean that it's noticeable. It's all relative of course), and seems to be his most notable nerf. Spacing his tippers seems to Be considerably more skill-based due to the range needed."

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

FriedSquid

Hey by the way, any Wreck-It Ralph fans out there might recognize AKB48 (the Miis in those Smash pics) from the Sugar Rush song. So you know what that means... Wreck-It Ralph confirmed!

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

CaviarMeths

The more I think about it, the cooler the AKB48 Mii commercial sounds. Apparently, the pop idol group has 140 members. Could you imagine a battle of that scale in Smash? It would be incredible. That, plus the cultural significance of pop music in Japan is a great sell.

It would be the equivalent of a commercial in America where every Marvel superhero faces off against the Smash roster. Spider-Man, the X-Men, all the Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, etc on one side and the Nintendo icons on the other. Yes, indeed, it would sell games.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

cookiex

DestinyMan wrote:

• Link has a costume with red markings underneath his eyes
  • Chrom appears in Robin's victory pose
  • Olimar has an Alph alt (more leak evidence)
  • Fox has a Wolf palette swap
  • Fierce Deity Link confirmed
  • Dark Meta Knight and Galacta Knight are Meta Knight alts
  • Shiny Charizard is an Charziard alt
  • Pac-Man can wear accessories

Untitled

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

The_Ninja

Holy crud, the game looks amazing. Love that OOT medley on Gerudo Valley.
It looks very fast on the videos, just like how Sakurai said it would be. Faster than Brawl, slower than Melee. Wish we had more footage. And Fierce Deity Link? From one of my fav Zelda games? Thank you, Sakurai. Thank you.
By the way, is that really the starting roster? If so, YESSSSS! Both Greninja and Villager are there, and all the third parties!

Edited on by The_Ninja

The_Ninja

3DS Friend Code: 1891-2599-4796

UGXwolf

DestinyMan wrote:

• Link has a costume with red markings underneath his eyes (Cool. Gonna have to look at that one)
  • Chrom appears in Robin's victory pose (Kinda expected this. Nice.)
  • Olimar has an Alph alt (more leak evidence) (Not sure I care about this one, but cool for Pikmin 3 fans)
  • Fox has a Wolf palette swap (FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU)
  • Fierce Deity Link confirmed (Been waiting for this one. Seems kinda wrong not having this as an all-powerful thing, but just referencing it is good enough for me)
  • Dark Meta Knight and Galacta Knight are Meta Knight alts (Not a bit Kirby guy, but this is still nice. I know a lot of people really wanted Galactiknight)
  • Shiny Charizard is an Charziard alt (Well, I should hope so. Why haven't Shiny costumes been a more common thing?)
  • Pac-Man can wear accessories (lulz)

Decided to go ahead and throw in some comments.

UGXwolf

The_Ninja wrote:

It looks very fast on the videos, just like how Sakurai said it would be. Faster than Brawl, slower than Melee. Wish we had more footage. And Fierce Deity Link? From one of my fav Zelda games? Thank you, Sakurai. Thank you.
By the way, is that really the starting roster? If so, YESSSSS! Both Greninja and Villager are there, and all the third parties!

Know what I just realized? We already know there are more than 48 characters in the game, if the leaks are to be believed as the padlock is still there on All Star Mode. I'm going to go ahead and speculate on a 53 character roster, not counting Miis.

DreamyViridi

Wait, so is this an expanded "demo" or the full game with a few limits? It seems to be the latter and if so; that's a huge starting roster. I don't even know where I'd start...!

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

The_Ninja

UGXwolf wrote:

The_Ninja wrote:

Know what I just realized? We already know there are more than 48 characters in the game, if the leaks are to be believed as the padlock is still there on All Star Mode. I'm going to go ahead and speculate on a 53 character roster, not counting Miis.

I hope your right. That also would mean the leak didn't spoil everything.

But why is Wolf cut? (Well, we aren't 100% sure 'bout it..) He is the main villain of the Star Fox series. IMO every 1st party franchise that has the main character as playable has to have the villain playable too.

The_Ninja

Grumblevolcano

The_Ninja wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

The_Ninja wrote:

But why is Wolf cut? (Well, we aren't 100% sure 'bout it..) He is the main villain of the Star Fox series. IMO every 1st party franchise that has the main character as playable has to have the villain playable too.

Wolf isn't the main villain of the Star Fox series though, Andross is of which is also an assist trophy.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

The_Ninja

Grumblevolcano wrote:

The_Ninja wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

The_Ninja wrote:

Wolf isn't the main villain of the Star Fox series though, Andross is of which is also an assist trophy.

Still, he is pretty important to the Star Fox series. I don't think Andross can ever be playable.

The_Ninja

Tsuchinoko

UGXwolf wrote:

Haxonberik wrote:

Honestly, I see putting Ness as a Lucas skin to be no less of a slap in the face than making Wolf a Fox skin. (And even then, he's just a palette swap! That's even WORSE!) I really think the hatred towards spacies is by far the most misplaced clone hate on the list. Well, it was until Lucina became a thing. Since she's essentially an advanced costume, I see no reason to hate on her. She's not actually taking up a slot on the roster someone else could occupy, but I digress.

Falco was tweaked to specialize aerial combat. Wolf was tweaked to special ground combat, juggling, and melees. Yeah, they APPEAR to act similarly, but even the all-too-similar Final Smashes suit them pretty well. Fox is standard. Falco does better in the air/has the fastest air speed. Wolf is brutal and his Landmaster is practically guaranteed one kill for every enemy on the field, but on the flip side, you can't kill an opponent twice due to limited FS time.

Don't believe me that it made that much of a difference? There was a guide a long time ago on how to avoid each Final Smash. Fox's essentially consists of standing on top of the tank to avoid attacks and getting off if he tries to lift off. Both Falco and Wolf's, on the other hand, tell you not to touch the top of the tank, if you can avoid it, because they WILL KO you. You can't react fast enough to avoid being pushed off the top of the screen with that. Falco's, you have to do a series of dodges. Maybe fake out the top of the tank, but avoid using it too often because they'll catch on. Wolf's strategy? Abused the ledge invincibility and pray he doesn't come downwards at you when recovering from the ledge, cause there's no hope, if he does that.

Wolf's Final Smash is ranked the second strongest, only second to Super Sonic. Fox and Falco, on the other hand are only considered moderately difficult to avoid. I know that was a rambling way of saying it, but even the ever-so-hated Final Smashes weren't as similar as people make them out to be. The physics changed, making the counter-strategy change with it. Wolf's specials may have seemed similar, but the way they were tweaked changed the entire strategy around them from both sides. Wolf doesn't benefit from zoning like the other spacies do. This is why I've long considered that if they were to cut a spacy, it should be Falco, and not Wolf, since air game is something Smash has in spades, but a change between short range and long range is not.

Making a Wolf-version of Fox doesn't solve this problem. Wolf's melees are nothing like Fox's, forcing his playstyle to skew more towards Fox's playstyle than Wolf's. In short, Fox does not benefit from short-ranged combat like Wolf does. They'd be cloney, still, but they'd be different enough that facing them down is two completely different games all together. Now it isn't.

Also consider that Wolf is the Game&Watch of Brawl. (Not in representation terms.) He was the last character in the game and the one the computers were best at using.

I've been defending Lucas returning from the beginning. Mother 3 is one of my favorite games, i knew it was a long shot. I won't mention it anymore. All the other characters I wanted back in are in already. If Lucas makes it in ill be pleasantly surprised.

I'd rather not just have Ness wear a blonde wig and that be the end of the character.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic