Forums

Topic: How Is Nintendo Marketing Wii U In 2014?

Posts 61 to 80 of 91

SCRAPPER392

Well, since ports are cheap, any fast amount money from Xbox One and PS4 will probably end up supplying a Wii U version. In Watch_Dog's case, the release is pretty far off, so they won't lose money by supplying a port for Wii U, considering all the sales from PS4 and Xbox One will be there.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

jariw wrote:

I don't think that MK8 could have been a release title, being as visually good as it looks now.

I don't disagree but that wasn't what I was saying. I was talking about what the Wii U probably needed in hindsight to gain some traction. If the Nintendo execs could have gone back to 2009/2010 then maybe they would have taken some teams off the 3DS, DS and Wii and got them on the Wii U earlier. As it was Nintendo did their thing and had a fairly weak launch. Ok as far as launches go but nowhere near as big as it needed to be.

Artwark wrote:

As I said earlier, Nintendo really isn't in good terms with third party devs. Look at the 3DS library at the moment. very few third party devs are only making games for the 3ds where as the ones in west are not much. Same goes for the DS as well. Instead of having games from these devs, we get shovelware most of the time. So even if Nintendo had some fair third party support, majority will still stick to either Sony, Microsoft or Steam because they either don't want to make games on Nintendo systems due to them being underpowered or that they are just lazy to be innovative enough that they rather just use one screen only.

Mostly because the big AAA retail titles are where the money is at. They tend to move more numbers and they are sold with a higher margin. At launch the Wii U had the potential to cruise along with a reasonable level of third party support. Fact. End of story. It just did. A lot of that has dropped away because of hardware sales. It's not that hard a concept, third party devs don't have some sort of console loyalty thing. They just want to make a decent return on their investment.

Artwark wrote:

skywake wrote:

Not long after launch it became very clear very quickly that the Wii U probably wasn't going to be another Wii in terms of sales. Them making excuses about why is pure PR. The real reason is a concern about putting millions into a port and not getting a big enough return.

Funny that Super Mario 64 DS sold more than the original did, yet it really doesn't do much for the actual game aside some extras. Same can be said for Wind Waker.

I don't really see what your point is. What does the sales of the DS port of Super Mario 64 have to do with third party support? At most what you're saying supports my argument. They added nothing but the DS version sold more. Why? Well because there were 5x more DS' sold than N64s.

Artwark wrote:

3D land was a game that saved the 3DS and also because that it sold huge compared to 3D World because it was bundled. So If Nintendo used the same logic with the Wii U, it would've sold pancakes by now.

Umm, no. The 3DS turnaround came with 3D Land which I don't believe was bundled true. However it also came with Mario Kart 7, Ocarina of Time 3D, Monster Hunter and a price drop. Then they kept pushing with constant new releases over the next couple of years hitting their stride in 2013. At the same time Sony, who started the race behind Nintendo, failed to have a massive launch. By the time the Vita launched it was already clear who the winner was. Of those maybe five or so things the 3DS did right the Wii U has hit maybe two so far.

Artwark wrote:

Again, its marketing. A lot of people at the time and even now still don't know what the Wii U is. Even if the Wii U were just as powerful as the PS4 and ONE, that still won't change the marketing issue fact. unless people know the existence of the Wii U, the Wii U is going to suffer from even more sales than it is now.

Everyone needs to get over this excuse. That's not the problem, it might have been the problem early on but it's not the problem anymore. A lot of the confusion was a result of what was still relatively strong Wii sales. Now? The Wii has dropped out of the bottom. If I go to the websites of three of my local retailers and search for Wii none of them show me the console. One of them even gives me a Wii U banner on the top of the Wii category page:

Untitled

If an average consumer walked into a shop right now and asked for "Wii" they'd probably walk out with a Wii U. The problem for Nintendo is that more people are going to walk into the shops asking for "XBox" or "Playstation".

Artwark wrote:

skywake wrote:

The average end user doesn't care about backwards compatibility nearly as much as you'd think. I barely care about it and I'm all over Nintendo. [....]

You know, these days a console has to have basic stuff like netflix and many other apps to cope up with the cost of the system. Since the PS4 and ONE are still expensive, the other features won't be enough. Backwards compatibility is just as important as the other features. that's why the PSONE sold well so as the PS2, DS, GBA and every other console that has backwards compatibility.

Well clearly it isn't given that the PS4 is selling as well as it is. I'm surprised how quickly you can blame marketing or say that games aren't enough and point to Wii U sales as evidence. I'm even more surprised when you then say that backwards compatibility is a huge deal despite the sales. If we're listing consoles as a reason for backwards compatibility then why did the DSi do as well as it did? The 360? The PS4 right now? It's a nice thing but I don't think it really impacts people's purchasing decisions.

The reason why is simple. You only care about backwards compatibility if you have a library of software from the previous generation. You only have a library of software from the previous generation if you had the previous generation console. If you have the previous gen console you don't need backwards compatibility.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

cookiex

skywake wrote:

I don't really see what your point is. What does the sales of the DS port of Super Mario 64 have to do with third party support? At most what you're saying supports my argument. They added nothing but the DS version sold more. Why? Well because there were 5x more DS' sold than N64s.

Plus like Ocarina of Time 3D it was one of the few worthwhile titles for it's system at the time.

Umm, no. The 3DS turnaround came with 3D Land which I don't believe was bundled true. However it also came with Mario Kart 7, Ocarina of Time 3D, Monster Hunter and a price drop.

Mario 3D Land did get a bundle... a year after it came out.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Socar

@skywake

So you're saying Indie games or games made on eshop don't matter anymore because of the AAA titles being worth making?

You may have a point on the marketing part, but the thing is this. Devs are lazy and a lot are complaining that the Wii U is hard to make games on and that's because they are lazy.

Also you say that the 3DS had more than 3D Land which is true but none of them at the time sold more than 3D Land which is the best game on the 3DS. Even if the Vita had done what Nintendo did, that still doesn't matter because Vita is too expensive and the memory in that thing is even more costly than using SD cards and let's not forget that the first party games won't be enough to beat the 3DS because of the 3DS high quality software and also the fact that its much more affordable.

The Wii U has great games but since marketing isn't good enough, they aren't selling well as they should.

Also yes, the PS4 will win because of it being the most affordable. But guess what? It doesn't have games that people want yet. Also with the Playstation Now being a hated topic, do you honestly think that the PS4 is going to be more appreciated than it is now?

Even if PS4 wins this gen, that still won't matter because the system itself isn't next gen as people expect it to be. Infact none of the consoles except the Wii U look like its next gen of gaming. Honestly, I can't believe that people are so into resolution just so they get the fine quality of graphics.

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Dreamz

Artwark wrote:

So you're saying Indie games or games made on eshop don't matter anymore because of the AAA titles being worth making?

You may have a point on the marketing part, but the thing is this. Devs are lazy and a lot are complaining that the Wii U is hard to make games on and that's because they are lazy.

Those two lines are more closely related than you think. Devs are full of @#&%. If the U was so hard to make games on, we wouldn't have so many indie developers releasing on the system. What devs really mean is that the U's 'non-standard' setup (due to the dual screen), means they can't spew their junk onto the system without a thought like the other systems, including PC, that have a uniform experience. And I find that incredibly aggravating.
But hey, if they don't want my money, I can find other uses for it.

Edited on by Dreamz

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

skywake

Artwark wrote:

I didn't say that. I was saying that if you're a major third party your focus will be mostly on the games with the biggest margins. That's why you don't see as many third party games on the 3DS, the great third party games like Bravely Default won't work on a TV. The Vita gets third party content but a lot of it does translate to an on TV experience.

The Wii U could have been a console to attract a lot of third party support because it fits into the existing landscape. There's no reason at all why any game that works on the 360 or PS3 can't work on the Wii U. So why don't we get them? Because the devs are 'lazy'? I don't think so. More likely they see the install base, take a guess on the numbers they'll make and pass. If the Wii U was at 12mill right now all of a sudden those excuses would have disappeared.

Artwark wrote:

Also you say that the 3DS had more than 3D Land which is true but none of them at the time sold more than 3D Land which is the best game on the 3DS. The Wii U has great games but since marketing isn't good enough, they aren't selling well as they should.

Yes, I did say that the 3DS had more than just 3D Land. It had 3D Land, Kart, OoT 3D, Monster Hunter, a price drop and poor competition. The fact that 3D Land sold well doesn't invalidate all of the others. Infact Mario Kart 7 sold as well as 3D Land globally and Monster Hunter sold as well as 3D Land in Japan. OoT 3D right now is sitting at #9 on the best selling 3DS games and all of those games are still in the top 10.

You're ignoring quite a lot by saying the only difference between the Wii U and 3DS is marketing.

Artwark wrote:

Also yes, the PS4 will win because of it being the most affordable. But guess what? It doesn't have games that people want yet. Also with the Playstation Now being a hated topic, do you honestly think that the PS4 is going to be more appreciated than it is now?

Yes

Edited on by skywake

skywake

Dreamz wrote:

Those two lines are more closely related than you think. Devs are full of @#&%. If the U was so hard to make games on, we wouldn't have so many indie developers releasing on the system. What devs really mean is that the U's 'non-standard' setup (due to the dual screen), means they can't spew their junk onto the system without a thought like the other systems, including PC, that have a uniform experience. And I find that incredibly aggravating.

To be fair indies do have the benefit of not having to physically print copies of their games. Also generally an indie game is a lot smaller and therefore a lot easier to test. That's before you even get to optimising for the various platforms or using any of the unique hardware features.

Socar

@skywake

I guess you're right here and think we can both agree that Nintendo slowed things down for the Wii U unlike for the 3DS. Maybe around this year, we will see lots of Wii U games coming up.

But even then, The Wii U doesn't have cheaper models like the 3DS does. So again, they need to improve on that marketing aspect by either cutting the price down or by making a system that removes some of the features exclusive to the Wii U and make it cheaper like how the 3DS is into 2DS.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

NinChocolate

My roommate had some friends over a few weeks ago and I think it really illustrates some of the problem. We got to talking about the fact that I owned a Wii U. They themselves aren't huge gamers but one of them did own an xbox to occasionally play halo. They knew that the Wii U existed but that there was something negative about it, but they couldn't say what it was at all, they just new it had some problem or another. So they kinda fumbled with their words when they asked me how I liked it thinking that I had to have accepted some great flaw with it as an owner.

I think it speaks to all the negative press that the Wii U received last year of which there was a lot. And it made people aware that a) Nintendo does have a newer-than-Wii console but b) they also believe that it's "doomed" in someway even if they are not really sure what the issues are. In the Wii U's case, the negativity once again prevailed against anything positive said about it. And who wants to investigate or recommend a product that has such a negative feeling attached.

If they were first told something negative about a product they aren't expected to go out and see it they can then disprove it. They just won't bother with it until positive news comes and convinces them otherwise. Wii U hasn't had that great news to trump all "the bad" yet.

Edited on by NinChocolate

NinChocolate

LzWinky

Ryno wrote:

Nintendo should market their games by releasing them for the PlayStation 4.

Meanwhile why bother getting a Nintendo console when you can play their games on other consoles.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Jazzer94

Nintendo should hire Sony to help with Wiiu advertisment.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

LzWinky

Jazzer94 wrote:

Nintendo should hire Sony to help with Wiiu advertisment.

"This is what the Xbox One does. On the Wii U, this is better and more friendly to you."

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Jazzer94

@Unca_Lz How I would do it after every PS4 commercial you have a voice over saying "You.... yeah you got a PS4 maybe you might like a WII U beside it" highlight real shows for ten to fifteen seconds of Wii U games commercial ends with Wii U logo fading out.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

NinChocolate

so i was in McDonalds today and was playing my 3DS, and an employee cleaning tables asked me if i was playing the new Mario Kart. i of course had to tell her i wasnt (i was playing Kirby Trip Deluxe). She then said she was thinking about getting it. So i guess its nice to know people are aware of a new Mario Kart, but still crappy that they still have no idea about the system that supports it.

NinChocolate

dumedum

Seeing a Mario Kart 8 commercial during an NBA game made me appreciate that Nintendo is finally doing some advertising.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Shy_Guy

I saw Mario Kart commercial on TBS,it looks like Nintendo is finally getting out of their comfort zone

Shy_Guy

Nintendo Network ID: Sparty84 | Twitter:

unrandomsam

How many copies have to be sold to pay for each one of those adverts ? Just wasted money.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Gold

Umm, no. The 3DS turnaround came with 3D Land which I don't believe was bundled true. However it also came with Mario Kart 7, Ocarina of Time 3D, Monster Hunter and a price drop.

Mario 3D Land did get a bundle... a year after it came out.

[/quote]

There was a Super Mario 3D Land bundle in 2011. Iremember it because it was the Flare Red 3DS and the Limited Edition Zelda 3DS bundle came out the same day. It was Black Friday.

3DS FC: 4296-3465-6223

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3465-6223 | Nintendo Network ID: Gold471

electrolite77

Apparently there was a MK8 ad during the final of Britains Got Talent last night* which won't have been cheap at all. Good to hear

• I don't watch it, my wife noticed it

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

electrolite77

Artwark wrote:

@skywake

Also you say that the 3DS had more than 3D Land which is true but none of them at the time sold more than 3D Land which is the best game on the 3DS. Even if the Vita had done what Nintendo did, that still doesn't matter because Vita is too expensive and the memory in that thing is even more costly than using SD cards and let's not forget that the first party games won't be enough to beat the 3DS because of the 3DS high quality software and also the fact that its much more affordable.

The Wii U has great games but since marketing isn't good enough, they aren't selling well as they should.

Even if PS4 wins this gen, that still won't matter because the system itself isn't next gen as people expect it to be. Infact none of the consoles except the Wii U look like its next gen of gaming. Honestly, I can't believe that people are so into resolution just so they get the fine quality of graphics.

'Devs are lazy?' All of the? Sweeping generalisations FTW!!

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.