Forums

Topic: How Is Nintendo Marketing Wii U In 2014?

Posts 1 to 20 of 91

NinChocolate

Have we seen much yet?

Edit: Also want to ask if it's any different from years past if anybody has noticed?

Edited on by NinChocolate

NinChocolate

LzWinky

I dunno. Everyone's definition of "marketing" seems to differ from "marketing = lots of commercials" to "marketing can be any form of exposure"

Anywho, there were commercials for Donkey Kong in both the US and UK. Mario Kart is getting a LOT of marketing from Nintendo with the Pennzoil event they had recently (in the US) and the plentiful ads in Japan. Nintendo's Direct in February shed some light on upcoming titles (NES Remix 2, GBA VC, and Mario Kart). For what the Wii U has, it's getting plentiful marketing.

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LordJumpMad

Ask Reggie, he is head of Nintendo's marketing.
He also used to do marketing for Dominos pizza.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Jazzer94

Well Mario Kart 8 seems to be getting a lot of marketing behind it.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

NinChocolate

Unca_Lz wrote:

I dunno. Everyone's definition of "marketing" seems to differ from "marketing = lots of commercials" to "marketing can be any form of exposure"

Anywho, there were commercials for Donkey Kong in both the US and UK. Mario Kart is getting a LOT of marketing from Nintendo with the Pennzoil event they had recently (in the US) and the plentiful ads in Japan. Nintendo's Direct in February shed some light on upcoming titles (NES Remix 2, GBA VC, and Mario Kart). For what the Wii U has, it's getting plentiful marketing.

Yeah, I am always wondering what good marketing looks like for Nintendo, it never seems clear to me what actually works for them.

NinChocolate

Zolgar

They're not.

3DS FC: 3754 - 7518 - 4293
STEAM: Thumbtack Jake
Case: CM 932 HAF Advance - Mobo: Gigabyte P67X - GPU: GTX680 - CPU: Intel i5 3570k - RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance - PSU: Corsair TX750v2 - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB - HDD: WD Black 2TB - OS: Win7 x64 Pro

WebHead

I'd say they're marketing the Wii U games more than the console itself. Must be a "Let the games do the talking" kind of thing.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Lance168

Not much... There's the directs, and then the donkey kong country tropical freeze commercials on tv, the post launch trailers for DK, and the Mario Kart 8 and NES Remix 2 Trailers that don't go with a direct.

Edited on by Lance168

Lance168

NinChocolate

To me the stand-out stuff seems like this so far:

2012 Pre-launch: Nintendoland at E3 and Reggie saying its a console for even the "hardest of the core".
2012 Launch: lots of images of Sing Party.
2013: Please Understand. Then Mario 3D World did get good TV ads.
2014: DK ads but not widely shown as 3D World. Pennzoil event and MK8 Preview of 16 new tracks from gaming media outlets.

NinChocolate

Cia

They don't even need to market. The games will do the talking.

Cia

JadedGamer

I'm seeing more commercials on games. But mostly 3ds titles..need more focus on wiiu titles. I hardly ever see the wiiu marketed in Sunday ads.3ds is marketed heavily wiiu may get a spot in one add..versus 3ds done and ps4..a little uneven,always..

JadedGamer

3DS Friend Code: 4141-3421-9359 | Nintendo Network ID: Nbajunkie

MikeLove

I haven't seen any Nintendo commercials on television since Christmas, but see PS4 and Titanfall/Microsoft ads several times a week, or at least see 'Sony' and 'Xbox' banners or signage at various sporting events.

MikeLove

MrV4ltor

Faron wrote:

They don't even need to market. The games will do the talking.

Not for the Wii U ...

MrV4ltor

Nintendo Network ID: MrValtor | Twitter:

rjejr

MK8 or bust.

That is all.

In fairness, doesnt seem like a lot going on for nay of the new consoles. Disney just started whispering DI 2 w/ Marvel, and SKylanders 4 w/ vehicles is all rumour though the Megablock Battle Tank Showdown set at Target looked good. AC Unity/comet was a leak same w/ Batman I think.

Seems like everybody is waiting for E3 this year to announce anything, so we shall see. Bayonetta 2 X, Zelda, Yarn Yoshi, Hyrule Warriors, mayeb at E3 things will materialize.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

SCRAPPER392

I'm not really sure. I'll just take others' word for it, that they aren't advertising very well. I don't watch TV. I only see ads online, and I usually watch the commercials online, just to see what they are.

The aspect I think people are forgetting, is whether the commercials matter. I'm not saying commercials are useless, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo has reasons why they aren't advertising as much as some may think they should.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

LzWinky

LordJumpMad wrote:

Ask Reggie, he is head of Nintendo's marketing.
He also used to do marketing for Dominos pizza.

Your madness is starting to affect your memory. He was at Pizza Hut

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

WebHead wrote:

I'd say they're marketing the Wii U games more than the console itself. Must be a "Let the games do the talking" kind of thing.

To be fair, I think it should be done this way. Game systems are mainly used to play games on. I really don't think we should have many commercials for the Wii U itself aside from snippets from the games themselves.

kkslider5552000

If Nintendo is smart they will treat Mario Kart and Smash Bros as something like...the second coming of Christ. This is literally how important they should consider these games if they actually want to do well. (it worked for Titanfall :V)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MAN1AC

There's Mario Kart ads all over my local Gamestops. There's posters in the window at the one closest to me and weird looking banner in the store. They also have a WWHD ad on the wall where all the current gen Nintendo games. There's an entire Nintendo isle at the Target near my house and they have a lot of Mario Kart ads too.

Unca_Lz wrote:

WebHead wrote:

To be fair, I think it should be done this way. Game systems are mainly used to play games on. I really don't think we should have many commercials for the Wii U itself aside from snippets from the games themselves.

Agreed.
Software is what ultimately sells hardware so I think Nintendo has been doing a much better job now of promoting their gams than they initially were. Hopefully it helps them build some momentum for the Wii U.

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

ogo79

they are marketing by communicating with smoke signals.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.