Forums

Topic: How Is Nintendo Marketing Wii U In 2014?

Posts 81 to 91 of 91

whodatninja

Nintendo have done a much better job than previous years I think!

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

electrolite77

skywake wrote:

If there was a problem with the Wii U launch it without a question would be that they weren't aggressive enough with pricing and content as quick as they needed to be. Not that they necessarily did a bad job....

They did do a bad job. I agree on the launch, that and the 10 months that followed weren't good enough and Nintendo have been behind the curve ever since. Given how fond they are for re-releasing old games I'm still amazed they didn't pad out the first year with HD re-releases. Look at the PS4/XB1 libraries for how successful they can be. If they were looking to attract the gamers they lost with the Wii why not release HD, non-waggle versions of Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandoras Tower, The Last Story, Sin and Punishment 2. A cheap, quick and effective way of giving the Wii U's library depth. Instead they sat waiting for it to sell because it had 'Wii' on the box.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

skywake

electrolite77 wrote:

skywake wrote:

If there was a problem with the Wii U launch it without a question would be that they weren't aggressive enough with pricing and content as quick as they needed to be. Not that they necessarily did a bad job....

They did do a bad job. I agree on the launch, that and the 10 months that followed weren't good enough and Nintendo have been behind the curve ever since.

Hey, let past me finish that thought at least....

skywake wrote:

Not that they necessarily did a bad job but more that they were under the shadow of the 360's tail at launch. Then the PS4 came along and stole everyone's thunder

I'd also note that I made this comment about the lack of new content before Mario Kart 8 came out. That was the main thrust of my point here. That it wasn't marketing or some bad strategy on Nintendo's part. Instead it had a lot more to do with the fact that they have been way too late to get the games people were desperate to buy on their platform. Mario yes but also Kart, Smash and Zelda. Now we know that when Kart came out it managed to bump the Wii U's global weekly sales to within a whisker of the PS4 in a week that the most hyped next-gen game yet launched. And Mario Kart is a game that traditionally has a very long tail.

Best selling games this year so far? Watch Dogs, Titanfall, inFAMOUS, Pokemon, Minecraft, Mario Kart 8, GTA, CoD. Where are the ports of year old games in this list of system sellers?

electrolite77 wrote:

Given how fond they are for re-releasing old games I'm still amazed they didn't pad out the first year with HD re-releases. Look at the PS4/XB1 libraries for how successful they can be. If they were looking to attract the gamers they lost with the Wii why not release HD, non-waggle versions of Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandoras Tower, The Last Story, Sin and Punishment 2. A cheap, quick and effective way of giving the Wii U's library depth. Instead they sat waiting for it to sell because it had 'Wii' on the box.

I don't think people go out to buy a console for a re-released game unless they're sure there's other content there. Especially not games like Xenoblade and Sin & Punishment. If you're doing something as iconic as Zelda then you're maybe halfway there but otherwise it's more about keeping existing users happy. I'd also note that one of the bigger image problems Nintendo had during the early Wii U days was that most of the games they did have were year old ports. I don't think more year old ports would have helped that much.

TBH I don't know why people are wandering around thinking that the solution is something other than more new content now that Mario Kart 8 is out and has done very well indeed. The reason for the early poor performance and the way that they could turn the ship around are obvious. See what Mario Kart 8 did? Yeah, just do more of that.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

AceDefective

I think the Wii U's core problem is very similar to the Vita's, and that is Nintendo (up until the release of the Mario Kart 8) didn't convince the market that should buy a Wii U. This, combined with the negative stigma created by the internet ("it's got no games!","it's under powered!","the GamePad is dumb", etc) lead to poor sales. Mario Kart 8 is a good reversal of fate, now if Nintendo can create hype for future games (as well as push some of the well reviewed older titles), the Wii U may have more of a greater chance.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

electrolite77

skywake wrote:

electrolite77 wrote:

skywake wrote:

They did do a bad job. I agree on the launch, that and the 10 months that followed weren't good enough and Nintendo have been behind the curve ever since.

Hey, let past me finish that thought at least....

skywake wrote:

Not that they necessarily did a bad job but more that they were under the shadow of the 360's tail at launch. Then the PS4 came along and stole everyone's thunder

I'd also note that I made this comment about the lack of new content before Mario Kart 8 came out. That was the main thrust of my point here. That it wasn't marketing or some bad strategy on Nintendo's part. Instead it had a lot more to do with the fact that they have been way too late to get the games people were desperate to buy on their platform. Mario yes but also Kart, Smash and Zelda. Now we know that when Kart came out it managed to bump the Wii U's global weekly sales to within a whisker of the PS4 in a week that the most hyped next-gen game yet launched. And Mario Kart is a game that traditionally has a very long tail.

Best selling games this year so far? Watch Dogs, Titanfall, inFAMOUS, Pokemon, Minecraft, Mario Kart 8, GTA, CoD. Where are the ports of year old games in this list of system sellers?

electrolite77 wrote:

Given how fond they are for re-releasing old games I'm still amazed they didn't pad out the first year with HD re-releases. Look at the PS4/XB1 libraries for how successful they can be. If they were looking to attract the gamers they lost with the Wii why not release HD, non-waggle versions of Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandoras Tower, The Last Story, Sin and Punishment 2. A cheap, quick and effective way of giving the Wii U's library depth. Instead they sat waiting for it to sell because it had 'Wii' on the box.

I don't think people go out to buy a console for a re-released game unless they're sure there's other content there. Especially not games like Xenoblade and Sin & Punishment. If you're doing something as iconic as Zelda then you're maybe halfway there but otherwise it's more about keeping existing users happy. I'd also note that one of the bigger image problems Nintendo had during the early Wii U days was that most of the games they did have were year old ports. I don't think more year old ports would have helped that much.

TBH I don't know why people are wandering around thinking that the solution is something other than more new content now that Mario Kart 8 is out and has done very well indeed. The reason for the early poor performance and the way that they could turn the ship around are obvious. See what Mario Kart 8 did? Yeah, just do more of that.

None of them would have been system sellers and I actually agree with you that that they didn't have enough content and weren't aggressive enough early on.. Ideally they would have had new games ready to fill the gaps when Pikmin and co. got delayed but that isn't realistic. Whereas it's a lot easier to fill out the library with a few re releases than magic up entirely new games so ports are better than what they actually did which was simply release nothing and leave massive gaps In the release schedule. A machine with 10 games not on MS/Sony platforms rather than 4 is more attractive. They were asleep at the wheel for too long and the ludicrous 9 million financial year sales projection shows how out of touch they were.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

skywake

@electrolite77
I don't get what basis you have for saying "none of them would have been system sellers" (them being Mario, Zelda, Kart, Smash). The core Mario experience we did have was during a period of Mario saturation and it wasn't the Mario we really wanted. And the others weren't out yet. Of the one that is now (Kart) you can't say that it isn't a system seller.

And the whole padding it out with ports thing, again I've already made the counter point. Ports of classic games are a good way to pad out a library however with only a few rare exceptions ports don't sell systems. Brand new content is what gets people to buy systems. The ports are mostly about getting existing users to buy more content more than anything else. Only one game from any of the top 10 selling games on any of the current gen platforms is a port of an old game. That one game is Wind Waker HD. So I don't see how you can say that filling out the library with ports was the key difference.

tl;dr
Nintendo's main problem early with the Wii U was not a failure to keep existing users happy. I mean they failed at that but that's not what the big problem was. The big problem was a failure to attract more users through interesting new content. Five or so Wii JRPG ports would not have substantially changed that. Mario Kart 8 earlier in the piece would have.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

bezerker99

Ellen DeGeneres gave away a Wii U w/ Mario Kart 8 to everyone in her audience during a recent show! Oh boy, and the audience is certainly excited too! This was a smart PR/marketing move on Nintendo's part if you ask me.

Edited on by bezerker99

LzWinky

Ignoring comments that say "I haven't seen this commercial, so it doesn't exist," I can say that Nintendo's doing a fantastic job of pushing the Wii U this year. They dominated the VG Awards, they are holding events at retailers, and they are making commercials for different audiences. You can't really ask for much more

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

rockodoodle

bezerker99 wrote:

Ellen DeGeneres gave away a Wii U w/ Mario Kart 8 to everyone in her audience during a recent show! Oh boy, and the audience is certainly excited too! This was a smart PR/marketing move on Nintendo's part if you ask me.

last year they gave Wii Us to every passenger on a Southwest Airlines flight.... I thought that was a good idea. Got lots of publicity, plus people would then go buy games, play with friends etc.

I thought the MK8 McDonald's promotion went well. Mario & Luigi were all gone after a week, if not sooner. I think they should definitely do more stuff like this.

The only real time that I thought they missed out on TV advertising- was that they should have maybe done more with the Olympics last year since they had Sonic and Mario at the Olympics. If not during the Olympics, maybe they should have done some things leading up to- and even in conjunction with McDonalds or something like that.

rockodoodle

Captain_Toad

bezerker99 wrote:

Flip. That scream scared me!

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

Hy8ogen

Honestly, you guys need to stop hating, let the fumes rise and you'll see pretty clearly. For 2014, I can say with absolute confidence that Wii U has the best marketing campaign among its competitors. Tonnes of commercial, celebrity endorsement, marketing programs (Smash event was the bomb btw) and last but not least, the awesome E3 showing. Not saying Sony and M$ were bad, Nintendo was just better.

Not to mention their games are performing much better than its competitors too! No hiccups, no errors and no broken promises. (Don't worry Driveclub I still love you). Unfortunately that does not mean more sales for Nintendo. Their previous year hiccups were so bad now they are suffering from it. But hey, if not for this year's powerful marketing campaigns the Wii U could have been in a more dire situation. At least things are looking pretty good right now.

Edited on by Hy8ogen

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.