Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 14,321 to 14,340 of 70,001

IceClimbers

@JaxonH Apparently they're keeping 3DS games out of the Spotlight presentation. Or at least going by their wording.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

@IceClimbers
Oh really? Well there ya go. With only 4 known Switch games to show that have been announced for this year, plus Fire Emblem and Mario Kingdom Battle, that's still only 6 games for half an hour. Plenty of time then...

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Krull

Ralizah wrote:

Hey, at least it didn't end up like that "20 year old dudes are the one's buying the Switch" thread...

That thread... I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry.

As for E3, the more Xenoblade 2, the better, IMO. Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 will presumably take most of the Switch limelight, though.

Edited on by Krull

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Ralizah

@MarcelRguez @IceClimbers @JaxonH Oh yeah. Lots of threads across multiple different gaming forums on the internet are whining about how horrible and disappointing Nintendo's E3 is going to be thanks to how short it is. You know, because if it isn't some hour long spectacle filled with orchestras and pointless bombast, it's worthless.

Of course, there are a couple of interesting dynamics at play that are usually ignored in such... erm... "discussions"

• E3 is more important to Sony than it is to Nintendo
    That's not to say that E3 ISN'T important to Nintendo, if only on a pure PR level, but they have done a fantastic job of decentralizing their methods of information dispersal. Sony has trade shows and Playstation Blog, whereas Nintendo has their E3 presentation, their Nintendo Treehouse broadcasts, which go into way more detail on upcoming games, other trade shows and, of course, Nintendo Directs. As a result, Nintendo is regularly informing its base en masse of upcoming games, hardware, projects, etc. in a way that Sony simply isn't able to replicate.
  • If you take out the filler, the meat of a Nintendo E3 presentation probably doesn't take up much more than thirty minutes anyway
    Of course, I might start to worry a bit if we see muppets or people standing around yarn shops or aquariums, but assuming they follow the snappy format seen in the last big direct, they should have plenty of time for new trailers, reveals, etc.

It could still manage to be terrible (this is Nintendo, after all), but, even if it is, in some freak worst case scenario... it won't change the company's present successes, or the fact that loads of fun, ambitious projects are currently slated to arrive on the Switch in the near future.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ryu_Niiyama

Ralizah wrote:

It's simultaneously amusing and a bit alarming how earnestly upset people got when they learned the Nintendo spotlight would only be 30 minutes. Like, isn't there some value in the console as it currently stands even if Nintendo doesn't announce every big upcoming project coming over the next five or so years?

Hey, at least it didn't end up like that "20 year old dudes are the one's buying the Switch"

You would think people haven't seen a Nintendo direct before and noticed how much info they pack into those things...plus it has two days of treehouse which will likely also have a minor game reveal or two if history rings true.

...I'll take minor responsibility for that thread as I made a comment (and then after defending myself) that likely started the dumpster fire, but I never intended for it to just spiral into madness (although I'm not surprised really); did let me load up the ignore feature for a few of the crazies though (And honestly I hope they put me on their list too). Some of the responses were so asinine that I just had to walk away.

Seriously though...E3 is just a giant press conference with free swag and booths for the press to meander through what the heck are people expecting? Why do you need an hour to hit the highlights? cough microsoft cough

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

MarcelRguez

IceClimbers wrote:

Super Mario Odyssey will dominate conversations around E3 like Zelda did last year.

It's pretty crazy to think that Nintendo might release two GOAT games from their flagship franchises when you think about. If Odyssey's reception is more Galaxy than Sunshine (I don't think 64 will be surpassed in that regard), 2017 will go down in history as one of the most important years for Nintendo.

Then they'll get robbed at The Game Awards by Bloodborne 2 or whatever.

Ralizah wrote:

or the fact that loads of fun, ambitious projects are currently slated to arrive on the Switch in the near future

That's the sticking point for me, the future. 2017 is fantastic in terms of catalog, don't get me wrong, but I can't help but think if they'll be able to keep up the pace in 2018.

@Ryu_Niiyama I wouldn't apologize. I read a few pages (including your novels) and I loved the points people like you or @StuTwo made.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

rallydefault

@MarcelRguez
Eh, you're a joke, in my opinion. You're a typical internet poster with nothing new to say and the same "I've got Master's degrees in everything" superiority complex that can clear out a room of people quicker than microwaving yesterday's trout.

You told me my opinion was wrong and insinuated that, if I were smart, I wouldn't have that opinion in the first place. So, you asked for how you insulted me, and there you have it. Needless to say, I think you are the idiot in this little back-and-forth, but whatever. Being the typical internet poster that you are, I can only assume you'll have a million-and-one "witty" comebacks at me in your next post. Have a ball, man. I'm not gonna read it. Maybe you'll impress somebody else, who knows?

Back to what matters: Bubsy. And will it come to the Switch?

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

MarcelRguez

@rallydefault I think I was pretty polite to you in both of my posts in a previous disagreement of ours. More than I should have been, in hindsight, but whatever.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Ryu_Niiyama

Has anyone seen the new Wayforward game? Licensed game for the new Mummy movie it looks like... could be fun...the Mummy looks like a good source of 90s style game fodder. And it is WayForward so even though I know I won't see the movie I'm curious. I'll have to hunt for the link again...Nintendo Everything is doing that thing again where it won't go past the first page for me.

Bubsy was a part of the sea of mascots that hit the 90s and while some were fun I don't remember Bubsy fondly. However I'm beyond sick of the the current trend of "bland mcblandguy on a rage kick" so I may give it a go if it reviews at a 7 or so. But hey better than Cool Spot right?

@MarcelRguez Thanks, I won't apologize for what I said (I do apologize for the typos though as always) but I hate it when threads just descend into shouting matches and I feel I unintentionally contributed to that. I try to keep things chill and somewhat neutral (I talk a lot but I keep my opinions general mostly) since first and foremost this is a Nintendo fan site and I show up here to talk about Nintendo. Besides Positive Ki and all that.

Edit: Just realized I'm still playing Zelda and Mario comes out this holiday. I'm never going to shrink my back log.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

MarcelRguez

@Ryu_Niiyama That's... diplomatic of you, especially with such personal topics. Let's not digress too much into that, though.

The topic did remind me about the whole voice chat-through-phone debacle, and I'm not sure if we'll hear anything more about that at E3. Doesn't seem like a good time, but Splatoon 2 comes out next month. Maybe we'll see how it works during the tourneys?

MarcelRguez

Ryu_Niiyama

@MarcelRguez You think you can change socialization on a gaming website? I don't. I don't believe in being silent, but most of the time when dealing with social issues people come with their opinions encased in stone; besides it was getting to a point that a bunch of people were misreading what I wrote and then making some very weird (and wrong) allusions as well as a few imo twilight zone statements and then everyone else was just arguing with each other. Not worth the hassle. Also I strive to be diplomatic in general; best way to decrease negative ki is not to feed it. Doesn't mean you have to be a pushover though.

I'm getting that splatoon 2 headset even if I don't use voice chat. It looks too cool.

AH HA Link for WayForward game: http://nintendoeverything.com/wayforward-working-on-the-mummy...

Could be fun...Although this sorta makes me want Mighty Switch Force 1 and 2 given the hd treatment (2 was just a straight port) and tossed on the switch.

edit: off topic in spoilers.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

MarcelRguez

@Ryu_Niiyama I see, I understand.

And it's that a metroidvania by WayForward what I see there? I'm sure they'll port most of their back catalog eventually, but it's good to see new stuff from them.

MarcelRguez

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama That's big of you, but, eh, it takes two to tango. You certainly can't take credit for the pages of madness that followed.

The laissez-faire approach to moderation here will occasionally lead to stuff like that happening, but it's certainly not unmitigated chaos like GameFAQs, and I appreciate that people can take a stand on things they feel are important and talk to others frankly without banhammer-heavy mods stepping in the moment things go south.

And yeah, that mummy game looks nice. WayForward is really good at developing high-quality games based on licensed properties, so it could very well turn out well. The screenshot that was posted actually reminds me of Alien: Infestation, which, despite being too short, was a proper good time.

Too bad the movie doesn't look nearly so appealing...

@MarcelRguez Given Nintendo's strategy of strategic game releases, I don't think they'll have much of an issue in 2018. Clearly the top brass is interested in maintaining momentum, which means big-ish releases every couple of months. Even if some of those "big-ish releases" are more Wii U remasters.

More than anything, BotW, ARMS, Splatoon, and Mario Odyssey have reassured me that Nintendo is really coming back into its own. We're seeing an uncharacteristic number of ambitious, weird, and experimental releases lately, which is a massive improvement from the safe, conservative Nintendo we've been stuck with since the Wii hit it big.

I agree nothing will ever top 64 or Ocarina of Time, if only because those games occupied a certain crucial role when the medium was just beginning to transition into 3D. I'm not a fan of those games (especially 64, which I've always found to be kind of miserable to play), but their importance in the industry can't be overstated.

Edited on by Ralizah

Azooooz

Oh, I can't wait for Tuesday. I feel that they're going to announce so many exciting things for Switch at E3.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

MarcelRguez

Ralizah wrote:

reminds me of Alien: Infestation

Oh, you're right, that was WayForward as well. I had a good time with that game, nice use of character permadeath/lives system.

Ralizah wrote:

More than anything, BotW, ARMS, Splatoon, and Mario Odyssey have reassured me that Nintendo is really coming back into its own. We're seeing an uncharacteristic number of ambitious, weird, and experimental releases lately, which is a massive improvement from the safe, conservative Nintendo we've been stuck with since the Wii hit it big.

It's funny, because in many ways some of their titles are much more conservative than previous entries. Breath of the Wild could go either way, but Mario Odyssey is definitely going back to basics without falling intro throwback territory —so far, at least. We'll see about the upcoming months, because outside of ARMS nothing screams experimental to me, and that's a week (!) away.

MarcelRguez

Ralizah

MarcelRguez wrote:

It's funny, because in many ways some of their titles are much more conservative than previous entries. Breath of the Wild could go either way, but Mario Odyssey is definitely going back to basics without falling intro throwback territory —so far, at least. We'll see about the upcoming months, because outside of ARMS nothing screams experimental to me, and that's a week (!) away.

When I say 'conservative,' I mean safe, unambitious games like Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros., and any number of forgettable experiences they released on the Wii U. It seems like they're taking chances. BotW throws almost every Zelda convention out of the window. Mario Odyssey has a scope to it that we've not seen at least since Sunshine, and has a lot of fun, weird ideas in it (Mario in the real world? Using the hat as a platforming tool? Not to mention all the other off-the-wall epic stuff we saw in that initial trailer). Splatoon and ARMS represent Nintendo taking steps with new IPs into genres they have almost no experience in. There's also the epic Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to contend with.

Simply put, they're Making Nintendo Great Again.

Edited on by Ralizah

kkslider5552000

MarcelRguez wrote:

Mario Odyssey is definitely going back to basics without falling intro throwback territory

"without falling into throwback territory" does almost automatically make it the most innovative Mario platformer in ages so...

I mean, I doubt any of their larger titles will like...be some crazy, experimental, multi-genre, philosophy game or whatever, but for a large gaming company, it's games have been and look to continue to be trying to be inventive and original when most large gaming companies simply aren't by comparison. That's starting to change a bit but on average, Nintendo is (like they frequently do) making games that AAA companies tend to avoid. Even ignoring any more original ideas for Arms, when's the last time a new fighting game IP has gotten real hype like this? How many kid-friendly online shooters like Splatoon can you name?

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ryu_Niiyama

I just need hamster to show up and say they are porting the entire Neo Geo catalog. You all will hear about me dying of shock and happiness.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Luna_110

Considering this E3 Spotlight will cover only Switch, and not two consoles like in previous years, I'm not worried about it being 30 minutes long. I'm confident Nintendo knows how important it is that they push the Switch this year and keep momentum, and showing games that will be available soon.
Showing stuff that will release in five years is annoying as heck. Why should I care about a game that will release on 2019 or 2020? Maybe I'm not even alive by then.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

veeflames

@Frosty_09 Like, that has to be the most obvious hint for a new game.
Not that I'm getting my hopes up, anyway!

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic