Forums

Topic: Achievements?

Posts 181 to 200 of 415

BootyWarrior

lmao i feel like i'm in the twilight zone,no wonder nintendo hasn't implemented these standard features in their system in 2017

BootyWarrior

shaneoh

@BootyWarrior

It's Microsoft and Sony console that have them as a standard "feature," they aren't a mandatory inclusion for Nintendo consoles and PCs. It's still, thankfully far from a standard feature. Again, I'll recommend reading the rest of this posts in this topic. It has already been covered.

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Lethal

shaneoh wrote:

You do realise that there are other platforms to play on other than Sony and Microsoft made ones, right?

Sorry but you can not change your tune to fit your argument when you know damn well we were going on about trophies and achievements. And clearly we were talking about Sony and Microsoft there. You cried about participation and that is when I said they are mandatory and are part of the game. Pay more attention to the discussion.

I have never seen anyone cry about trophies like you and Marcell. Everyone knows if Nintendo introduced the feature you both would be praising it. It seems like you both are anti anything that is not Nintendo.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

MarcelRguez

Lethal wrote:

I have never seen anyone cry about trophies like you and Marcell. Everyone knows if Nintendo introduced the feature you both would be praising it. It seems like you both are anti anything that is not Nintendo.

Everyone knows that if @Lethal keeps making jumps in logic and baseless assumptions instead of trying to have an actual debate, he's going to keep playing himself for as long as this thread stays open.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Lethal

MarcelRguez wrote:

Lethal wrote:

Everyone knows that if @Lethal keeps making jumps in logic and baseless assumptions instead of trying to have an actual debate, he's going to keep playing himself for as long as this thread stays open.

There is no debate. Trophies do nothing but good for gaming and sales. Nobody has to try to unlock them if they do not want to. You can disable the notifications from the OS settings.

Not sure what the debate is honestly...

MarcelRguez

Lethal wrote:

Not sure what the debate is honestly

Yeah, no kidding.

MarcelRguez

rallydefault

@MarcelRguez
I turn them off if I can and the option is readily accessible. If it's something I have to dig for, I don't bother. For instance, I'm not sure about Steam achievements or trophies or whatever - they're on for me, I guess, but I've never even bothered looking at them. Also couldn't tell you how many Steam trading cards or collectibles or whathaveyou I've got - because I don't care. I wouldn't even know they existed if Steam wouldn't flash them in my face during every Winter/Spring/Summer/Fall/heyitswhateverholiday sales event. (In fact, I don't even know if they're still a thing lol)

For Xbox I turned them off because a) it was pretty straightforward to do so and b) they were interrupting Netflix and other streaming service movies/shows (this happens on Xbox One - not sure about 360). Watching a relatively sad scene with my wife and having a "DING!" come out of nowhere was getting annoying.

That's why I turned them off. In retrospect, it had absolutely nothing to do with gaming. I couldn't really care any less if they were off or on for gaming, as I don't bother with them anyway, but interrupting movies and stuff was getting ridiculous.

See, the root of your debate that you think you're being so cerebral about comes down to one word: participation. Your argument hinges on this idea that you believe participation happens as long as somebody is "in" the activity. If my kid is playing a soccer game and I accidentally stumble onto the field for a few moments, in your world, I would be "participating" in the soccer game. In the same regard, if I'm playing a video game, perhaps totally unaware that achievements are a thing and even exist, and suddenly one pops up, I'm "participating" in the imperialistic enterprise of achievement doom.

I don't see participation that way. If I wander onto the proverbial field (soccer game or a video game with achievements), I am only participating if I choose to actively take PART in what is going on. If I give the ball a kick, then hey! Now I'm participating to some degree. But if I sit on the sidelines and watch the ball BE kicked (or the achievements pop up from time to time), I am most definitely NOT participating in the actual event.

(Yes, that then goes to connect with: I'm an avid sports fan, but I do not believe fans "participate" in the sport. Unless you get hit with a golf ball and the player needs to play from the spot it landed after it nailed you in the noggin. Then you are a participant lol)

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@rallydefault Wait, Netflix has achievements? I know Twitch has achievements but giving Netflix achievements seems a bit ridiculous.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarcelRguez

rallydefault wrote:

See, the root of your debate that you think you're being so cerebral about comes down to one word: participation. Your argument hinges on this idea that you believe participation happens as long as somebody is "in" the activity.

...No?

That's shaneoh's argument, not mine. The post I wrote before to which you replied was pointing out that comparing a feature that is clearly presented as a part of the OS with an actual level of the game itself —which, unlike that whole feature, is created by the devs and not forced upon them— is a ridiculous idea. I even mentioned in another post that I usually have less of a problem with achievements that are integrated correctly into the game (think Shovel Knight on a Nintendo system/with notifications off) because they a) don't clash aesthetically with the proper game, b) don't feel like an intrusion of the platform into the game (meaning, product placement) and c) I can be sure the devs had the intention of adding them in the first place.

I mean, you have some good arguments there, but I never really made that point. I do think that the whole system should be completely optional, just like many online and social functions, but I'm not that irked about that, to be honest.

@Grumblevolcano That's another can of worms. Gamification in general strikes me as a morally dubious way of keeping people engaged, and at its most extreme is one of the clearest examples of inhumane design. There's a pretty decent article by Ash Hibbert about how that's affecting our regular lives already:

Ash%20Hibbert wrote:

When I see, on Tripadvisor, the “Continents I have traveled to” badges in and think, ‘Wouldn’t it be great to get all seven?’ I know I’m missing the point of travel. Not only does TripAdvisor make me feel inadequate in my own travel achievements to date, but it encourages me to travel for bragging rights rather than the innate pleasure.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

shaneoh

Lethal wrote:

There is no debate. Trophies do nothing but good for gaming and sales.

And yet you mention a 99c game as being a cash grab. How is that good for gaming?

Lethal wrote:

Sorry but you can not change your tune to fit your argument when you know damn well we were going on about trophies and achievements. And clearly we were talking about Sony and Microsoft there. You cried about participation and that is when I said they are mandatory and are part of the game. Pay more attention to the discussion.

Who is changing their tune? This whole thread is about achievements in general and whether they should come to Nintendo consoles. I've been talking about achievements on all consoles and PC this whole time, and you were the one who interjected on my portion of the conversation. The fact that Sony and Microsoft have mandatory achievements for their systems (which also reinforces my argument that you are forced to participate), doesn't mean that achievements need to be mandatory for all games across all systems. We went for years without them, why are they vital now? Answer: they aren't.

Lethal wrote:

I have never seen anyone cry about trophies like you and Marcell.

Ha, unable to come up with a satisfactory argument, so you try to discredit ours by insisting that we're "crying." Classic. Have you considered a career politics?

Lethal wrote:

Everyone knows if Nintendo introduced the feature you both would be praising it. It seems like you both are anti anything that is not Nintendo.

[sarcasm]Didn't realise you were psychic. Your powers must be magnificent to be able to survey the entire planet, or at least the gaming part of it.[/sarcasm] FYI Nintendo has "accomplishments" in Streetpass Plaza and they're still ridiculous and meaningless. Don't presume to know how a person will behave or react.

It's hilarious that because we don't like how something is done by a competitor, it automatically makes us anti-anything-not-Nintendo, particularly as, at the top of this page, I mentioned four of MY memorable accomplishments in games, only one of which was done on a Nintendo platform. Believe it or not the only blind worshipping going on here is by yourself towards achievements. Nintendo can do wrong, Super Paper Mario was awful, so is their decision to move towards a subscription based service for online play.

@rallydefault
I get where your analogy is coming from, I do. But for me its like I'm the one playing the soccer game for my enjoyment and I don't want any certificates or medallions or anything, so I don't go to the end of season ceremony, but someone posts them to me anyway even though they know I don't want them. Difference being I could scrap the awards I won in the soccer game, but I can't scrap achievements. I want to be able to disable achievements completely.

Lethal

You are too late. I am done with this discussion. There is nothing to debate.

BootyWarrior

shaneoh wrote:

@BootyWarrior
It's still, thankfully far from a standard feature.

i'll buy a phone without a camera thankfully it's far from a standard feature...oh wait

BootyWarrior

shaneoh

@MarcelRguez
Yep, that's spot on.

BootyWarrior wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

@BootyWarrior
It's still, thankfully far from a standard feature.

i'll buy a phone without a camera thankfully it's far from a standard feature...oh wait

A camera can be useful, achievements aren't. I don't see the argument you're trying to make.

Octane

Define useful. It's all subjective in the end.

Octane

JoeDiddley

I've never owned a system with achievements so I don't know what I'm missing.

I think anything that keeps you interested and playing a game is a good thing.

If they are optional for completionists then are there downsides?

Not sure why Nintendo hasn't used them if it keeps people playing games and gives them free advertising on social media (my friends often post their achievements).

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

GrailUK

Hey, I'm amazed one of the big AAA devs hasn't tried to monetize them! You could release a game without them, and charge all the people that do want them! Hmmm...I better start working on my evil laugh. MWAHAHHAHA...or does it start with a B? BWAAHAHAH...

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.