Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 12,941 to 12,960 of 70,001

Zyrac

@Grumblevolcano If this is true it would explain why I feel like the Wi-Fi is worse when my Switch is docked. I'll try unplugging the Wii U myself. Couldn't hurt.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Octane

@JaxonH Can you bypass the battery in a Switch? I know some devices can. You can remove the battery, and as long as you're still connected to an adapter the device works, my old laptop could do that. My old phone couldn't do that however. I had to remove the battery, but connecting it to a charger didn't do anything. So it all depends on whether you can bypass the battery or not.

Octane

JamestheLol

Can you charge the joy con using a portable charger? Can you like charge the Switch screen with the joy con connected and charge it using a portable charger and both will charge or no? Also should I buy a Micro SD if I am just going to buy physical games. Is it a good idea to still buy it? Thank You

JamestheLol

Grumblevolcano

Alright, I've finished my 16 races in the tournament and have now done some tests with unplugging the Wii U. While it's still better when closer to my XB1, unplugging the Wii U does improve the connection wherever I place the Switch dock.

So overall it seems to be a combination of the Wii U blocking the internet signal and the location of the Switch dock in comparison to the router.

Hope this helps for all you excited to play MK8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, etc. online.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@JamestheLol
Joycons charge when attached to the system and the system is plugged in and being charged. I wouldn't worry about Joycons though. They last 20 hrs. Can also buy a charge grip and plug in.

Depends how many games you buy digitally. Even physical gamers like me still buy digital games that don't get a physical release, plus VC. Why not just wait and see. If your memory fills up, buy a microSD. If it doesn't, then don't buy one.

@Octane
Not sure. If it doesn't bypass though, I still think it would work, even if it just acts as a middleman to carry charge from the outlet to the system

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

LzWinky

You can charge them separately using the joy con adapter with the charger. It's not in the box, though.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

KirbyTheVampire

@JamestheLol If the Switch is charging and the JoyCons are attached, the JoyCons are also charging. If the Switch isn't charging, the JoyCons aren't charging.

KirbyTheVampire

JamestheLol

So if the screen is being charged my a portable charger, the joy cons and the screen would be charge right.

JamestheLol

JamestheLol

Also then would the portable charger battery go down?

JamestheLol

Zyrac

@JamestheLol Actually, the early Switch news post about charging says this:

"To fully charge the Joy-Con controllers, simply attach them to the console while it's charging. They'll still charge if you attach them while the console isn't charging, but they'll stop partway to avoid draining your console's battery too much."

Zyrac

Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

I don't know, it's really odd. Despite having played MK8 for nearly 1000 hours, MK8 Deluxe still feels like a new game thanks to battle mode, boo item, 200cc time trials and online matchmaking featuring mirror and 200cc.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Zyrac

On the topic of Wi-Fi interference: Just now I was sitting next to my computer playing Super Bomberman R online, and the match I was in was pretty laggy. Shut off the computer's Wi-Fi and after a few seconds the lag cleared right up. So yeah, watch out for interference, folks.

Zyrac

Twitter:

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
There's enough new content to at least feel like half a new game. Plus there's just so much content already it makes for one heck of a deluxe package, not to mention it feels like getting 2 versions with home console and handheld. Something we'd usually have to buy on Wii U and again on 3DS.. The smaller changes they made really add to the game though. Even the HD Rumble is so appreciated. It all combines to make one of the best GotY editions I've seen.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I know this sounds ridiculous but I think the Wii U may actually be a signal blocker for Switch. Moving the Switch closer to the Wii U makes the speeds less than 1Mbps whereas moving the Switch closer to the XB1, the speeds are generally about 10x higher.

Luna_110 wrote:

It isn't ridiculous. If both are on the same frequency for wifi, they could act as interference. Nice to know for when I set up. If you disconnect the Wii U from its power source you have the same problem?

Well technically the Switch is a dual-band device and can connect to either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. Mine pretty much always seems to want to connect to the 5Ghz band. It's usually connecting with "two bars" at ~120Mbps on 802.11ac or "three bars" at ~170Mbps. It'll also hold onto 5Ghz to the point where the signal strength drops a bit which is probably a good thing because if it swapped over to 2.4Ghz its speed would drop.

So I'm not entirely sure what's happening with @Grumblevolcano's XBOne and Wii U here but I have three theories. Each less likely than the one before. The first one is simple. Maybe the signal is being physically blocked when you place it closer to the Wii U. I'm not sure it's the Wii U itself given how much less there is in it. But it could be something else that just happens to be in the way when you place it closer to the Wii U. This is probably the cause of the issue.

The second theory is that perhaps your Wii U is downloading something in the background and your XBOne is not. It's unlikely because there's not a lot of new stuff on Wii U right now but it's possible. Maybe some indie game released a patch and the Wii U is downloading it in the background. It might even be some other device that just happened to be running an update while your Switch was near the Wii U and not the XBOne.

But there's another theory I kinda like more. The Wii U doesn't just connect to the internet over WiFi. The Wii U also connects to the GamePad. The GamePad link is over 5Ghz and the Wii U hammers it more than probably any other device in your house would. So if the Wii U happens to be using the same channel as your WiFi for the GamePad and for some reason is sending a signal to the GamePad? Good luck getting a reliable connection on 5Ghz. Though this shouldn't be happening.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Octane

@Frosty_09 It's fine, and thanks for providing links as well. Good to see they're working closely together.

Octane

gcunit

This Polygon article serves as a good reminder about how some journalism is driven by what they think we want to read, rather than good ol' objectivity. Scroll down to comment by 'LockTease' for lols.

So many people seemed to blindly say a hybrid couldn't work - "too much compromise!" and that Nintendo were resorting to desperation. Too many short-sighted people have access to keyboards if you ask me.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

OorWullie

That was a great read.Loved this bit at the end

"Usually consoles sell because of games, not because they offer such an enjoyable, unique experience that using the system itself becomes a selling point. Nintendo has moved in the other direction; the games are going to sell because of the hardware."

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

StuTwo

@gcunit My favourite Polygon article - the one that really rams home just how much you need to be sceptical about the state of journalism - is the one:
Mario Kart 8 will be the worst selling game in the series.

As it stands today there's an outside chance that between the two versions Mario Kart 8 could become the biggest selling version of Mario Kart.

Aside from the fact that that the article was statistically illiterate (not appreciating that Mario Kart 8 might have a much higher attached rate than some previous entries for a start) it was completely blind to the underlying logic that drives the industry. I think we still expect journalists to find and present facts and then to create a narrative around them but the poor standards of modern journalism mean that we see the opposite - they create a narrative and selectively pick the "facts" to fit.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Grumblevolcano

@StuTwo I knew that Mario Kart 8 article would appear at some point in this thread. Not only did the Wii U version alone beat Super Circuit and Double Dash (nearly beat Super Mario Kart too) but MK8 Deluxe really punishes that article even further.

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic