Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 12,921 to 12,940 of 69,982

JamestheLol

Do you also need a micro sd card if you are just going to buy the games not digtal

JamestheLol

LzWinky

1. The joycons charge through the Switch itself, however their battery life is about 20 hours, so there's no real worries there.
2. At this moment it seems you cannot put a battery into it. It may be wiser to just buy a portable external battery to extend the Switch's charge
3. No. You do not need a micro SD card for physical games. The Switch has internal memory for save files.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

JamestheLol

I am going to a flight to Singapore, so do I need anything else. I am bringing the Switch, a portable charger, and a USB c charger. When playing in handheld mode with the joy con connected, does it lose battery. What is the best way to charge the joycons then if the battery goes down. Also if I am going to buy physical games, it is wise to buy a micro SD or just no. People told me still to buy it?

JamestheLol

JamestheLol

What do you mean the joycon charge it self in switch. Does it charge when you connect it to the tablet.

JamestheLol

KirbyTheVampire

JamestheLol wrote:

What do you mean the joycon charge it self in switch. Does it charge when you connect it to the tablet.

The JoyCons charge when they're attached to the Switch while the Switch is docked. If it's not docked, they won't charge.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

JamestheLol

Is it like when charging the nintendo switch thourhg a power bank or portable charger, you plug the joycons in the screen or connnect it and is charges both?

JamestheLol

TuVictus

It was a slow day at work today so I brought out the switch. My coworkers were really excited to try out Mario Kart, and it was a great way to bond with them. And it made me really appreciate what Nintendo has done here.

TuVictus

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Another thing about the battery in the Switch that people are forgetting is that it's eventually going to die and you can't replace it yourself. I can still play my SNES 25+ years later, will people be able to say the same about Switch? Right now Nintendo will replace it for you at a cost but that causes various inconveniences and they won't be doing that indefinitely.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Haruki_NLI

@SLIGEACH_EIRE

It will die one day. Just like the battery in a DS4. Or the Wii U Gamepad. Or 3DS. Or any modern phone. Or any decent human being.

Just be thankful it doesn't have the Sony Timer: Death upon warranty expiration.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

Ya, nothing lasts forever.

But Nintendo is still selling DS batteries on their online store. Pretty sure 10 years from now you could send Switch in for a new battery, and be good for another 10 years. And by the time that one goes bad, it'll have been 20 years and they'll have 3 or 4 newer consoles out in wild we'll be playing. Switch games will be virtual console by that point.

And really, it doesn't matter when it's working as a console, and as a handheld, you pretty much want to keep a portable battery with you anyways, so what difference does it make.

I think alot of these hypotheticals get thrown around but, like I said, if you did one maintenance send-in 10 years from now just to refresh it back to new again, by the time that thing finally gave out 10-15 years after that, no one is gonna be playing Switch anymore, or care about the system in the slightest.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

LzWinky

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

Another thing about the battery in the Switch that people are forgetting is that it's eventually going to die and you can't replace it yourself. I can still play my SNES 25+ years later, will people be able to say the same about Switch? Right now Nintendo will replace it for you at a cost but that causes various inconveniences and they won't be doing that indefinitely.

Uh, even an SNES can die as well.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Haruki_NLI

@TheLZdragon Some older consoles can even decompose or have components rot away.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

gcunit

Sure, SNESs can die, but I bet if you've kept yours you'll be bummed when it does die. And it's one thing for components to rot away or burn out, but when it's something as simplistic as the power supply, it will be annoying. Devices should be designed for flexibility where power supply is concerned, not be hamstrung by them.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Luna_110

You can always clean rot away (at least my granpa taught me how), and chasing down a power supply may be annoying, but not impossible.
And for Nintendo devices, they keep seeling GBA SP batteries on their US online store, so I don't think batteries will be that diificult to replace in ten years +, at least for the Switch.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

skywake

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

Technically the Switch battery isn't meant to be user replaceable, sure. But it's not built like a typical tablet or phone. There are no adhesives, clips or seals between you and the battery. The battery isn't soldered onto the motherboard. You have to take off the back with the same tri-wing screwdriver Nintendo gear has always needed and... then the battery is as accessible as it was on the 3DS or Wii U.

From what I can tell the only reason they don't want you doing it yourself is because of how much other stuff that exposes. With the 3DS if you took off the back you see the battery and a plastic back cover. Because the Switch is so compact when you take off the back and the metal shroud you're looking at the motherboard and heatsink.

It should also be noted that this is the first Nintendo product since the GBA (AAs) that has a standardised way to power it. And I want to say the first home console Nintendo has made with a standard power adaptor since the SNES (9V Round plug). In many respects the Switch is quite a step forward in terms of long term usability. If the dock itself worked like a standard Type C dongle it'd be a home run.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

I know this sounds ridiculous but I think the Wii U may actually be a signal blocker for Switch. So I'll describe my setup. I have a surface which going from left to right has:

• External hard drive for Wii U
  • Wii U
  • Switch
  • External hard drive for XB1 (this one is much smaller in physical size, put it on top of my XB1 when XB1 not in use)
  • XB1 (this is the original 500GB model without Kinect)

Moving the Switch closer to the Wii U makes the speeds less than 1Mbps whereas moving the Switch closer to the XB1, the speeds are generally about 10x higher.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Luna_110

@Grumblevolcano
It isn't ridiculous. If both are on the same frequency for wifi, they could act as interference.
Nice to know for when I set up. If you disconnect the Wii U from its power source you have the same problem?

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Grumblevolcano

@Luna_110 GameXplain tournament is very soon, I'll investigate in a few hours.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic