Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 12,961 to 12,980 of 69,962

Octane

@StuTwo Too bad they removed the pie chart. But it's the internet, so you can still find it.

Untitled

Octane

FGPackers

So NBA 2K18 is coming September 19th like all other versions, and with both limited editions. That's awesome news. Now we just need for the game to have same content and things will start to go very well on a third party basis. I think i'll grab it since my brother is interested too, and we can play together, but it will be standard edition

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

skywake

gcunit wrote:

So many people seemed to blindly say a hybrid couldn't work - "too much compromise!" and that Nintendo were resorting to desperation. Too many short-sighted people have access to keyboards if you ask me.

I'm fairly sure that I was one of those people. I argued black and blue that a "hybrid NX" was either going to be too bulky and expensive for a portable or too under-powered for a home console. Possibly both. Though I usually followed it up with an equally long rant about how I wanted the NX to be basically what the Switch is minus the dock

It's a good thing Nintendo are smarter than journalists, fanboys and comment sections.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Maxz

@skywake I'm hoping to be similarly wrong in my negative assessment of ARMS. I managed to be right about Splatoon being the best thing since sliced octopus, so I thought I'd have a go at being a prophet of doom about Stretchman: The Game (mainly based on how I got demolished in it at the test event). Not too long until we find out.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@FGPackers As long as it leads to Madden and the Packers getting crushed by my Lions I'm ok with that. Of course that's the only way the Lions could crush the Pack.....

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

NEStalgia

About consoles breaking themselves, that's sadly not new. DMG GameBoys can withstand bombs, but sadly the screen decays over time. GameGear screens were prone to failure. My NES has a very dodgy toaster slot, a common problem. Early X360's are guaranteed failures, and good luck finding a PlayStation of any generation that saw regular use that still has its original disc drive. Those things are notorious. Wii drives were failure prone too.

Replacements/repairs are still available (not always at friendly price points) for any of these though. One thing modern consoles have unlike NES/SNES/Genesis-Mega Drive, etc. is FANS. The NES can run for 30 years (if the toaster doesn't fail) because it has no moving parts. A PlayStation 2 (and beyond), Dreamcast, Wii, WiiU, Xbox (any gen), Switch all have DC fans. The fans can and will break/throw bearings and the heat sinks WILL cake with dust on any of these units in time. You can keep the machines forever, but they will not be service-free like those old machines. As long as retro/collector gaming remains a thing, there will always be someone, somewhere in the world, willing the repair them, though, so long as a compatible part can be found.

For the battery, getting into the battery to replace is simple, take a loot at iFixit's breakdown. You literally unscrew the back plate and disconnect the card reader and you're in. The battery plugs in just like a Gamepad's. It's "not user serviceable" only because of the delicate SD reader cable to unplug and because it doesn't save you from yourself (i.e. it exposes the PCB. If you work on PCs there's nothing out of the ordinary here. If not, Joe Consumer could break things too easily. Adding another shield to prevent that would mean making the box thicker. So it's "not user serviceable" if you're inexperienced with working with electronic components, but otherwise its fine. The only limitation in the future will be if someone is making compatible battery packs with compatible connectors, otherwise it might not fit the case, or might require some soldering. If Switch is popular, that won't be a problem, some Chinese company will make them for a long time. The fan will be the bigger concern as a very very tiny fan like that is either proprietary or at least not guaranteed to remain in production forever.

@Grumblevolcano Lots of things can interfere. When my Switch is downloading while I have my wireless headphones on (not BT, it's a proprietary Sennheiser radio headphone), my downloads run at like .05MB/s, and my audio cuts out constantly. Various wireless devices can and do interfere. Some people have problems when microwaves are running though I've never had that trouble. I haven't experienced my WiiU causing the trouble, and it's sitting right next to my WiiU....and both are on the same router. BUT I have them on the 2.4GHz network not the 5.

@StuTwo Great summary of "journalism", and not just in gaming. I remember in the 90's when one of the big US networks started running commercials/promo pieces for their news programs, might have been NBC, and they kept talking about how their coverage is all about "delivering the narrative" and "telling the story that needs to be told." Those commercials sent shivers down my spine. It was positively Orwellian, and it was an ugly portent of the future of "journalism" across the board. Gaming news is just an extension of formal news at this point. It's about "telling the story that needs to be told (according to the viewpoint and opinion of the storyteller)"

NEStalgia

FGPackers

Spoony_Tech wrote:

As long as it leads to Madden and the Packers getting crushed by my Lions I'm ok with that. Of course that's the only way the Lions could crush the Pack.....

You said it!! Don't make me re-call some Hail Mary

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Spoony_Tech

Murph wrote:

Picked up a 64 gig card today. I'll never fill it up, but who knows? It's good to be future-proof, I guess.

If you stick to lower end e shop titles yes but good luck with that. Games are getting bigger not smaller.

Just take NBA Playgrounds for an example, eshop only and about 15gigs. That's only 4 dl's on a 64gb card. That doesn't even include updates, patches, and potential dlc adding to that. Now sure that might be on the extreme side but there will be bigger games then that.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@FGPackers I thought I read or heard it was bigger then Zelda? Well my point still stands as someone will make bigger games. I'm actually glad to hear that though as I haven't got a sd card yet.

Edit: must have been Kart 8 I read and not Zelda.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

KirbyTheVampire

@Murph I don't imagine I'll fill up mine either, at least not very fast. I don't really plan on buying many downloadable games, if at all, but I figured I might as well grab one just in case.

KirbyTheVampire

NEStalgia

I'm actually surprised Playgrounds is eShop only. It seems like a very retail kind of title to me.

NEStalgia

Spoony_Tech

@NEStalgia I'm glad it's not retail as it would give them the excuse to charge 30$ or 40$. I think 20$ may seem cheap but I'm ok with that. 😉

MERG said:

NEStalgia

@Spoony_Tech Haha, true. Then again, Playgrounds looks like interesting, creative, unique attempts at making a video game about basketball and is worth $20. 2K18 looks like a rehashed attempted at making your own instant replay of TV basketball and it's worth $60. Sometimes I wonder who determines the pricing categories at these companies

NEStalgia

Spoony_Tech

@NEStalgia budget obviously. To get all those players names and the NBA license cost lots of money. Legends don't cost as much to use as the current players.

MERG said:

NEStalgia

@Spoony_Tech Both are NBA licensed, but yeah, the players cost a good bit of money I imagine. It kind of makes you pine for the days of totally unlicensed generic sports games. I've never been a sports game fan, but there were a few back in the day that were fun games in spite of being sports games, and weren't so fussed over licensing!

NEStalgia

Murph

It's also good that the NBA doesn't allow exclusive licenses, like the NFL does, otherwise, this game might not exist.

XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murpgh_1
Switch: 8125-7768-9102
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Murph1

JaxonH

NBA 2K18 Legendary Gold Edition for Switch means the game will likely have parity with current gen, visual fidelity aside.

I'm in. It's been a long time since I played a real sports game. It's time to give NBA 2K18 and FIFA 18 a fair shake- I'm impressed with how good these games look nowadays. Last time I played sports game was NHL 2002 on PS2... it's been quite a while.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic