Forums

Topic: Nintendo NX to run on Android, So what direction is NX heading?

Posts 1 to 20 of 70

Kuhang

So reportedly a reputed Japanese business outlet Nikkei has published that Nintendo's Next dedicated gaming console codenamed NX would be using Android based OS with claims to the information coming from an insider. This is considered to be a move giving “developers more flexibility in making content that can also be on smartphones and tablets.”

Could this be a possible replacement for the 3DS rather than Wii U? Makes sense as the 3DS is in it's last years Or could be replacing Wii U as it is in a bad shape? Or possibly replacing both? Or maybe not replacing any of the consoles at all instead like a third pillar. But I doubt Nintendo will be able to support 3 Platforms at once but the possibilities are many.

They could go for the Nvidia Shield Tablet like console. Giving portability, power and features of modern tablets and phones. And with Android it is assured that connectivity with Phones and other tablets are going to be on the Go, With a dedicated controller for the tablet so you could connect the tablet to the TV and play like a standard Console. Though this way Nintendo will not be able to deliver a true Next-Gen hardware as the tablet would limit the console to do intensive gaming for various reasons such as Overheating and Battery. Or possibly they could go the Nvidia Shield TV console way and the Nvidia Shield TV Console is more powerful than the last Gen console so maybe develop a hardware more powerful to deliver a true Next-Gen Experience.

So what do you think about this decision or what direction Nintendo are heading with this console? Or their decision to go with Android OS instead of x86 archetiture?

Source : http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/01/report-nintendos-coden...

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/05/31/nintendo-nx-will-use-...

Edited on by Kuhang

Kuhang

Nintendo Network ID: Kuhang

skywake

Even if it is true I don't think it's worth reading too much into it. Android can run on pretty much any architecture, because it's basically a specialised version of Linux. And Nintendo's consoles already run a specialised version of Linux. Though if it is based on Android? Well it would be easier for developers to push their apps. I doubt it'd be open to the Google Play store but if Netflix, Youtube, Skype or whatever is basically working before they even think of NX? That'll help get more stuff on the eShop.

That said, if this is true? It probably suggests that it'll be a portable platform. I would have thought for a home console they'd prefer to have more control over the OS. With a portable device it doesn't matter quite as much because you're more concerned about things like battery consumption.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Dizzy_Boy

Don't you mean fourth pillar, assuming Nintendo are still developing their QoL range.
Considering that Nintendo are working with DeNA, the NX (if it's what they're both working on) would be a seperate deal from the home and portable consoles.
If they do use Android, I'll be glad as I like using Android phones. So, I'm hoping for some familiarity when getting my hands on the NX.

Switch I.D SW-0262-8074-7921
WiiU NNID: Dr_Dizzy
I`ve been a slave from the cradle to the grave.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/58D0-0000-02BB-5718

Twitter:

kereke12

Hmm, this makes me cringe but then again if you think about it... I suppose this is the right thing to do. In a certain way. Because of course mobile gaming is big over at Japan so it makes sense...Now my question here is if this is true and If you think about it. It is true. Nikkei is a business media and I don't think they lie or put rumors out there anyways my question here is what's going to happen with games if they mange to get 3rd party? Man there's so many questions..makes me cringe.

LONG LIVE NINTENDO

Nintendo Network ID: Kereke12

Kuhang

skywake wrote:

Even if it is true I don't think it's worth reading too much into it. Android can run on pretty much any architecture, because it's basically a specialised version of Linux. And Nintendo's consoles already run a specialised version of Linux. Though if it is based on Android? Well it would be easier for developers to push their apps. I doubt it'd be open to the Google Play store but if Netflix, Youtube, Skype or whatever is basically working before they even think of NX? That'll help get more stuff on the eShop.

That said, if this is true? It probably suggests that it'll be a portable platform. I would have thought for a home console they'd prefer to have more control over the OS. With a portable device it doesn't matter quite as much because you're more concerned about things like battery consumption.

Portable makes a lot of sense but idk how Nintendo are gonna drag Wii U further. Though 3DS is in a decline it is clearly that Wii U is the console struggling. They could replace both but if it were to be a portable tablet console they would fail to deliver a Next-Gen hardware and that would kill the hype. And also AAA 3rd party games would be an issue though indies would flood And Android always welcomes Piracy but could be handled well but still very delicate.

Kuhang

Nintendo Network ID: Kuhang

fascinatura

Yeah, I mean this isn't a big deal IMO. Android is a great open-source OS, so it makes sense to use it, and a lot of devs are familiar with it. They'll likely customize their version of Android anyhow to feel distinctively Nintendo-like. HOWEVER, this does mean that NX is likely a handheld, instead of a home console. Not that it's not possible, but I just can't see them using it for a home console OS.

fascinatura

skywake

Kuhang wrote:

Portable makes a lot of sense but idk how Nintendo are gonna drag Wii U further. Though 3DS is in a decline it is clearly that Wii U is the console struggling

The thing is that the Wii U's problems have nothing to do with the age of the platform. In many respects they don't have that much to do with the power of the platform either. The Wii U's problems are more to do with the fact that the PS4 is dominating the market. A new Nintendo home console wouldn't necessarily "solve" the Wii U problem. Remember the fact that their home console business didn't suddenly rebound when they released the Gamecube after the N64. It just kept coasting along at about the same rate.

On the other hand the issues with the 3DS, as small as they are in comparison to the Wii U, have everything to do with how old it is. The slight revision with the New 3DS helps but it's not a full solution. When you compare the 3DS to what you can do on it's competitors like mobile devices? The NVidia Shield even? It falls well short. Revised hardware and a more open store? They could well and truly rebound.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Kuhang

kereke12 wrote:

Hmm, this makes me cringe but then again if you think about it... I suppose this is the right thing to do. In a certain way. Because of course mobile gaming is big over at Japan so it makes sense...Now my question here is if this is true and If you think about it. It is true. Nikkei is a business media and I don't think they lie or put rumors out there anyways my question here is what's going to happen with games if they mange to get 3rd party? Man there's so many questions..makes me cringe.

As I've stated on my comment above that if it were to be a portable tablet type console replacing home console they would fail to deliver a Next-Gen hardware and I doubt also the AAA 3rd party games due to the sub par hardware as seen recently by Slightly Mad Studio’s Project CARS. And Games are only gonna get Graphics intensive over the years so 3rd party AAA titles would definately miss out except the occasional family friendly games and Lego games. But on the bright side indies would flood because it would be so much easier to port the games. But if it were a portable console instead of a Home console it would benefit a lot. Also android switch would make sense.

Kuhang

Nintendo Network ID: Kuhang

CaviarMeths

Kuhang wrote:

Portable makes a lot of sense but idk how Nintendo are gonna drag Wii U further. Though 3DS is in a decline it is clearly that Wii U is the console struggling. They could replace both but if it were to be a portable tablet console they would fail to deliver a Next-Gen hardware and that would kill the hype. And also AAA 3rd party games would be an issue though indies would flood And Android always welcomes Piracy but could be handled well but still very delicate.

The silver lining for the Wii U is that it's actually managed to grow every year, little as that is. If you look at the release line up too, it's clear that Nintendo's 1st party focus is currently on the Wii U. The 3DS is in steady decline, and since it's Nintendo's biggest money maker, they'll probably want to replace it with something that sells better sooner rather than later. 3rd party considerations are important there too. As much as companies like Capcom and Level-5 love releasing games on the 3DS that cost little and sell millions, they're not going to want to develop for the underpowered, obsolete tech for much longer.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Grumblevolcano

If true, there's pretty much no chance the NX is the Wii U's successor. From this info it would seem like a handheld that can play smartphone games.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Kuhang

skywake wrote:

Kuhang wrote:

Portable makes a lot of sense but idk how Nintendo are gonna drag Wii U further. Though 3DS is in a decline it is clearly that Wii U is the console struggling

The thing is that the Wii U's problems have nothing to do with the age of the platform. In many respects they don't have that much to do with the power of the platform either. The Wii U's problems are more to do with the fact that the PS4 is dominating the market. A new Nintendo home console wouldn't necessarily "solve" the Wii U problem. Remember the fact that their home console business didn't suddenly rebound when they released the Gamecube after the N64. It just kept coasting along at about the same rate.

On the other hand the issues with the 3DS, as small as they are in comparison to the Wii U, have everything to do with how old it is. The slight revision with the New 3DS helps but it's not a full solution. When you compare the 3DS to what you can do on it's competitors like mobile devices? The NVidia Shield even? It falls well short. Revised hardware and a more open store? They could well and truly rebound.

Wii U's problem definately has nothing to do with the platform's age, it has more to do with the Power Pc archetiture and up untill last year nothing to do with power as well. It was more of a combination of Power Pc and low game demand/sales/userbase that prevented the 3rd parties to release their titles for the platform but from now on it will have everything to do with power of the console and the Power Pc archetiture. Wii U wont be able to run graphics intensive AAA games without so much work and due to the Power Pc archetiture 3rd parties refuse to put that extra effort.Lately seen with SMS's Project CARS title skip Wii U for the very reason. I agree it could be a 3DS successor but I wouldn't be shocked if it were to replace home console.

Kuhang

Nintendo Network ID: Kuhang

skywake

If this rumour is accurate then I think we can pretty much rule it out as a Wii U successor. I mean the apparent source of the rumour is to do with their partnership with DeNA. I would suspect that they'd be wanting a lot of the stuff they're doing with DeNA to also work on their next portable. I doubt that they'll be as interested getting those games working on their next home console. Really, before this rumour it kinda made more sense that the NX would be a portable. If this rumour is true? Well it just put a sledgehammer through the possibility of it being a Wii U successor.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

Kuhang wrote:

skywake wrote:

Kuhang wrote:

Portable makes a lot of sense but idk how Nintendo are gonna drag Wii U further. Though 3DS is in a decline it is clearly that Wii U is the console struggling

The thing is that the Wii U's problems have nothing to do with the age of the platform. In many respects they don't have that much to do with the power of the platform either. The Wii U's problems are more to do with the fact that the PS4 is dominating the market. A new Nintendo home console wouldn't necessarily "solve" the Wii U problem. Remember the fact that their home console business didn't suddenly rebound when they released the Gamecube after the N64. It just kept coasting along at about the same rate.

On the other hand the issues with the 3DS, as small as they are in comparison to the Wii U, have everything to do with how old it is. The slight revision with the New 3DS helps but it's not a full solution. When you compare the 3DS to what you can do on it's competitors like mobile devices? The NVidia Shield even? It falls well short. Revised hardware and a more open store? They could well and truly rebound.

Wii U's problem definately has nothing to do with the platform's age, it has more to do with the Power Pc archetiture and up untill last year nothing to do with power as well. It was more of a combination of Power Pc and low game demand/sales/userbase that prevented the 3rd parties to release their titles for the platform but from now on it will have everything to do with power of the console and the Power Pc archetiture. Wii U wont be able to run graphics intensive AAA games without so much work and due to the Power Pc archetiture 3rd parties refuse to put that extra effort.Lately seen with SMS's Project CARS title skip Wii U for the very reason. I agree it could be a 3DS successor but I wouldn't be shocked if it were to replace home console.

I disagree, the Wii U's problems are down to Nintendo's terrible marketing and release schedule early on in the console's lifespan. They had a year to prove to people that the Wii U was amazing before the PS4 and XB1 released and they pretty much did nothing, not to mention that in addition they made people think the Wii U was an accessory for the Wii rather than a successor. By the time they sorted their problems out it was too late for the console to do well.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

kkslider5552000

This honestly would make a lot of sense. I don't know a ton about this, but from what I understand, Android's gaming scene is borderline dead (mainly thanks to Piracy). And both companies are probably the most impacted by Apple's continued dominance so the fact that they would together wouldn't surprise me.

And yeah, guaranteed the next handheld will be an attempt to bridge the gap between mobile devices and their own systems.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Kuhang

CaviarMeths wrote:

Kuhang wrote:

Portable makes a lot of sense but idk how Nintendo are gonna drag Wii U further. Though 3DS is in a decline it is clearly that Wii U is the console struggling. They could replace both but if it were to be a portable tablet console they would fail to deliver a Next-Gen hardware and that would kill the hype. And also AAA 3rd party games would be an issue though indies would flood And Android always welcomes Piracy but could be handled well but still very delicate.

The silver lining for the Wii U is that it's actually managed to grow every year, little as that is. If you look at the release line up too, it's clear that Nintendo's 1st party focus is currently on the Wii U. The 3DS is in steady decline, and since it's Nintendo's biggest money maker, they'll probably want to replace it with something that sells better sooner rather than later. 3rd party considerations are important there too. As much as companies like Capcom and Level-5 love releasing games on the 3DS that cost little and sell millions, they're not going to want to develop for the underpowered, obsolete tech for much longer.

Yes, Wii U is actually managing to grow every year but too little for a company like Nintendo and that is not enough , compare that to its competitors it doesnt sound good at all The 1st party support for Wii U is fantastic I absolutely respect Nintendo for that I don't think any other company would have done this but from what we've seen from Sega's fate it was wise to do so and Nintendo have got that spot on. Also because they will have to put out all the 1st party titles they had been working on and up untill now it was definately Wii U in the focus because it is Nintendo's flagship console. The NX could be a 3ds successor, But like i've said if it is a tablet like portable replacement for home console it will not make the cut (read above why) and the 3rd party support will be the same as Wii U.

Kuhang

Nintendo Network ID: Kuhang

SuperWiiU

Android sucks, and Google has changed their policies about the changing the system too much to make it a true Nintendo system. So if this is true I'll most likely not buy it. If they really want mobile games, Nintendo should do what MS is doing with Windows 10. Make it very easy, almost automatic, to port Android and iOS games to their system.

Edited on by SuperWiiU

IceClimbers

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Kuhang wrote:

skywake wrote:

Kuhang wrote:

Portable makes a lot of sense but idk how Nintendo are gonna drag Wii U further. Though 3DS is in a decline it is clearly that Wii U is the console struggling

The thing is that the Wii U's problems have nothing to do with the age of the platform. In many respects they don't have that much to do with the power of the platform either. The Wii U's problems are more to do with the fact that the PS4 is dominating the market. A new Nintendo home console wouldn't necessarily "solve" the Wii U problem. Remember the fact that their home console business didn't suddenly rebound when they released the Gamecube after the N64. It just kept coasting along at about the same rate.

On the other hand the issues with the 3DS, as small as they are in comparison to the Wii U, have everything to do with how old it is. The slight revision with the New 3DS helps but it's not a full solution. When you compare the 3DS to what you can do on it's competitors like mobile devices? The NVidia Shield even? It falls well short. Revised hardware and a more open store? They could well and truly rebound.

Wii U's problem definately has nothing to do with the platform's age, it has more to do with the Power Pc archetiture and up untill last year nothing to do with power as well. It was more of a combination of Power Pc and low game demand/sales/userbase that prevented the 3rd parties to release their titles for the platform but from now on it will have everything to do with power of the console and the Power Pc archetiture. Wii U wont be able to run graphics intensive AAA games without so much work and due to the Power Pc archetiture 3rd parties refuse to put that extra effort.Lately seen with SMS's Project CARS title skip Wii U for the very reason. I agree it could be a 3DS successor but I wouldn't be shocked if it were to replace home console.

I disagree, the Wii U's problems are down to Nintendo's terrible marketing and release schedule early on in the console's lifespan. They had a year to prove to people that the Wii U was amazing before the PS4 and XB1 released and they pretty much did nothing, not to mention that in addition they made people think the Wii U was an accessory for the Wii rather than a successor. By the time they sorted their problems out it was too late for the console to do well.

Oddly enough, the release schedule issues were largely due to the 3DS. Had that system not suffered at launch, the Wii U would probably be in a lot better position.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Faruko

This is great, its exactly what Nintendo had to do.

Android is "the OS" nowadays, no point on going agaisnt the current.

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

PikPi

A direction I will no doubt be disappointed in. I wish they'd just stick to the gamepad for another generation and improve upon what they have instead of needlessly trying to reinvent the wheel every 5-6 years.

PikPi

MegaMari0

@Operative

Trapezoid wheels...the next big thing. Brought to you by Nintendo. Why? Because they gotta. I do love the gamepad though.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

Top

Sorry, this topic has been locked.