Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 201 to 220 of 1,213

MsJubilee

The game looks impressive on the Switch.

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

kobashi100

We have gone from 3DS to this. The jump is huge.

This is a PS4 game running on a handled.

kobashi100

MarcelRguez

One major thing some people seem to be overlooking here is that Doom is not exactly a new game. Some of us have played it for days at a stable 60fps. Anything else now would be a miserable experience by comparison. That's why people are so focused on the framerate in this particular case, we already know what we're getting into.

And about playable/unplayable thing, Star Fox was also "playable" at 15fps. So was Ocarina at 20fps. Doesn't mean it doesn't impact the enjoyment of the game. I'd say anything in the 10-15fps ballpark is technically "playable" if you bash your head against the screen enough times.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

TuVictus

I think it still looks wry beautiful to play. Sucks if it can't be 60fps but if it's stable, I think that's the most important thing. Stable 30 can be very good as well

TuVictus

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia Play with the lights on...we can be wigged out together. lol.

I know we don't know the lead time for conversion on this but I'm really stoked that Bethesda was able to port two games so quickly. Should I feel bad that now I'm hankering for TES VI now?

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

MarcelRguez

@Masurao I really don't understand comments like these. People can buy or not buy whatever they like for whatever reason they like, nobody has the moral obligation to buy games from a company just because they happen to support the platform you own.

Besides that, even if Doom bombs on Switch, publishers won't abandon the platform just because of that this one example. Skyrim will probably do well, but L.A. Noire is going to tank for sure. Do we raise our arms to the heavens now or do we have to wait to the week before release?

MarcelRguez

Spoony_Tech

This game will be rated compared to the other versions and rightly so but I hope some will see it for what it is and rate is solely on its merits. Some will also see the benefits of it being portable. Either way scores top out at 9 then lower from there.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

MsJubilee

@MarcelRguez Why you think L.A. Noire is gonna tank?

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Peek-a-boo

MegaTen wrote:

Either way, I'm out. 30fps for a game like this is a no-go. If you guys still think fps don't matter, I suggest checking footage of the game out, running at the two possible frame rates.

Going from the likes of Battlefield 1, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, DOOM, Halo 5: Guardians, Star Wars Battlefront, Titanfall 2 and Wolfenstein: The New Order, all seven of which runs at 60fps, to 30fps games in the FPS genre such as BioShock Infinite and Destiny, however nice the visuals are in those two games, is really jarring.

Having said that, I would prefer the Switch to have DOOM as part of its library, even at the expense of lacking a buttery smooth 60fps, than not having it at all. Going by the videos, it doesn’t look too bad in all honesty.

Peek-a-boo

MarcelRguez

@MegaTen I'm on the fence as well. Guess the price will be the deciding factor. I'll probably end up getting it anyway, if only because I like the game that much.

Ideally, an option to lower the settings and bump the framerate to 60fps could have been added, just like Fire Emblem Warriors does it. If Koei Tecmo can do it (albeit with Nintendo's assistance for sure) I'm positive id or other Bethesda staff could lend a hand to achieve it. Options are always good.

And yeah, about that last paragraph, what Nintendo games aren't 60fps, even? There's Zelda and Pikmin, but anything faster-paced than those runs at 60, always. To draw a comparison with Doom, the Prime games prioritized 60fps over all things, and without sacrificing much in terms of visuals. Imagine playing them at 30 now, it would feel pretty sluggish by comparison.

@MsJubilee I just can't see it doing well in today's landscape. Ironically, I also think the Switch version might have the chance of outselling the others due to not sacrificing as much for portability as Doom or Wolfenstein II.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

kobashi100

MsJubilee wrote:

@MarcelRguez Why you think L.A. Noire is gonna tank?

That game is garbage. Don't think it well do well on any system

kobashi100

MsJubilee

@kobashi100 Garbage? Well that's like your opinion man.

EvilLucario

@MarcelRguez Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and X. I don't think XC2 is at 60 FPS either.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

It's not that 30fps "Doesn't matter" It's that it doesn't matter enough to skip the game over. It matters. Of course it matters. But there is no magical threshold at which a game suddenly becomes unenjoyable. People who played this on console were dealing with a fluctuating framerate as low as 40fps. You mean to tell me 10fps is the difference between blissful enjoyment and unacceptable? Especially if it's a locked 30fps?

You mean to tell me 50% of the games out there are perfectly enjoyable at 30fps- Wolfenstein included, but this one somehow isn't? Enough with the "fast and fluid". All shooters are fluid and fast to a degree.

So Wolfenstein is 30fps on PS4/X1, while DOOM is 40-60fps... But a locked 30 is unacceptable for DOOM on Switch? Yet it's perfectly fine for Wolfenstein? Come on.

Everyone likes a smooth 60fps. Nobody is saying it doesn't matter. And 15-20fps is a poor experience. But a locked 30 is high enough to be very enjoyable. Stable 30 is probably the minimum you want to enjoy a game at, but it is past the level of "choppy"

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Namco

Looking forward for a confirmation wether this game will be 60fps or 30fps. I've seen some off screen gameplay and in my opinion it looked fine. Either way not a deal breaker for me, but it does have an impact on how this game will be received.

Meanwhile there's this guy telling us Doom Marine is actually a reincarnation of Link. Get on board with this strange theory!

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

MarcelRguez

@EvilLucario Ah, good catch. Understandable, however, and I wouldn't call them fast-paced at all either. I'm sure there are some games that run at 30fps (3DS stuff like Luigi's Mansion 2, maybe?), but I'd be surprised to see something like, say, Mario Kart running at 30.

Edit: Actually, I can think of one. Kid Icarus Uprising should probably be 60fps, but it definitely isn't.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH Im just gonna agree with this and drop out of this fight I inadvertently started.

Ill still enjoy it. I mean if one of the best games of all time can run at 12fps in PAL regions and get that moniker, Im fine with 30fps DOOM.

And hey, I dont care if my precious Nintendo games run at 60 or not. So long as its stable. And 20 minimum (The EU N64 is unenjoyable sadly).

All thst matters is you have fun. Is DOOM fun at 30fps? Seemingly so.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic