Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 181 to 200 of 1,213

Spoony_Tech

I don't think Bethesda would allow an unplayable version of Doom to launch. Plus already announcing Wolfenstein 2 makes me believe they can do their games justice on the system. At this point I don't care what the frame rate is as long as it's constant. I'm buying it either way!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

MsJubilee

DF took the down the Doom video. Man what is going on with this port? Some say it's 60 frames and another says 30.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

JaxonH

@FragRed
You do realize Wolfenstein was always 30fps right?

People are so consumed with this "anything less than 60 is unplayable" mindset that even games running at 30fps on other consoles are being put on blast.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MsJubilee

@JaxonH 30 frames is unplayable for people who are used to 60. So that's why people have that mind set, 30 makes the game sluggish and awful to them.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Haruki_NLI

I like how as soon as DF pulled a video of them playing the PC version using Switch specs (Not accounting for custom build and optimisation as well as APIs) instead of the actual release...people started bashing.

I mean...come on people. Its a crappy thing for them to do but it also shows their word isnt gospel. They just flat out lied.

And if the video goes back up theyll have some clarifying to do.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@MsJubilee
Unplayable is a very strong word. A game that physically won't run is unplayable. A game at a stable 30 is incredibly playable. People just set perfect standards and refuse to budge an inch.

Wolfenstein is 30. Destiny is 30. Tons of games, shooters even, are 30.

And the people who think a game has to be 60... It's funny that the game isn't actually running at 60 on other consoles yet it's somehow fine. Running sub-60 was perfectly ok for DOOM then, why wouldn't it be ok now? If it's locked, it'll be almost just as good.

I play plenty of games at 60fps. Yet a stable 30 isn't unplayable for me. That's crazy to think a game is unplayable wirh a stable 30fps.

Anyone who has a "60 or bust" mindset shouldn't own a Switch. Millions of others who will perfectly enjoy the game and likely won't even care or notice

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH They also shouldnt own a PS4 or Xbox One either. PC only

kobashi100

BLP_Software wrote:

I like how as soon as DF pulled a video of them playing the PC version using Switch specs (Not accounting for custom build and optimisation as well as APIs) instead of the actual release...people started bashing.

I mean...come on people. Its a crappy thing for them to do but it also shows their word isnt gospel. They just flat out lied.

And if the video goes back up theyll have some clarifying to do.

Not being funny but I have seen the video and they never lied at all.

Lying would be claiming tests were performed on switch hardware. DF are crystal clear saying they spent 40mins with the game on switch.

To try and get a measurement they used a custom built pc. They even say they feel the switch version will perform better.

They also done a brief analysis on the screen grabs from trailer.

I think it's fair to say that the game wouldn't be possible at 60fps. Well unless you wanted resolution at 240p.

kobashi100

SKTTR

The new high-end Triple AAA shooter Wolfenstein II runs at 30fps on Xbox One and PS4?

Well, Switch must run this at 60fps or else no buy and Nintendoomed and kiddy console!

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Haruki_NLI

@kobashi100 Here the thing though. Those measurements dont matter because again, its NOT the hardware. Its not the customised version of the game. What merit does that endeavour have?

They are trying to give measurements based on compressed and cropped trailers, and hardware thats off the mark.

Qwertyninty

I don't want to judge people opinions here but something has to give. I mean the switch it a hybrid console that we know isn't as powerful as the xb1 and ps4. ... even though it does have a modern architecture. Supposedly even the ps4/xb1 version didn't run the game at stable 60 as there were some dips. Assuming the game does run at 30 IS IT NOT WORTH GIVING IT A CHANCE? I mean I'm going to trust Bethesda to do the port justice. I don't expect them to release a crappy port with performance issues. In my opinion this is one of the biggest third party games announced to be released on a Nintendo platform in generations and everyone is going to say NO because it might not be running at 60fps. I will show my support and I believe it will be a good port.

Edited on by Qwertyninty

Qwertyninty

kobashi100

MegaTen wrote:

Either way, I'm out. 30fps for a game like this is a no-go. If you guys still think fps don't matter, I suggest checking footage of the game out, running at the two possible frame rates.

I get the frustration I really do. Again though if 60fps is just not possible on switch hardware then what else can the developers do.

Would people rather doom doesn't get a switch release as it's not 60fps.

kobashi100

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama Interesting. I don't do horror. At all. Ever. Doom 1 & 2 never bothered me. I winced at first...wasn't used to all the blood and core, but it was so cartoony and rediculous there was nothing actually scary about it...just big swarms of cartoon monsters to pop like balloons. But Doom 3....I tried to play it and just couldn't. Got maybe 25% in....one time in the future pushed further and got maybe 50% in. I hated that thing so much. I don't do horror. I completely ignored this new Doom until people here told me it was a return to form of 1 & 2. That got me interested and a Switch version has me pumped for it. But that voice in the back of my head keeps thinking of Doom 3 and wanting to nope out.

@Ralizah Gyze, I wanted to tell you that Xenoblade 2 is going to run like trash on Switch because my buddy tried to get Xenoblade X running on a Commodore 64 and it ran really really bad!!! That's pretty much their whole article here. Why would you discuss performance of a video game on a platform by not using the actual engine it runs? That's like the "iPhone Anniversary Edition and everything we know so far!" that talked about all the "features" Apples new phone would have based on rumors, dreams, and pixie dust 6 months ago. (and none of it actually happened, just like it's never happened in the past 10 years...)

@Spoony_Tech Yeah, I figure if Bethesda is putting all their heavy hitters on Switch short of Fallout, they have to be pretty confident in their engine. Considering it's the engine dream team of id, there's no reason not to believe it runs fantastically. I think too many people think of their RPG engine (Creation) from Fallout and Skyrim and assume it runs like trash because it's Bethesda. Doom and Wolf don't run on Creation, they run on id Tech 6....aka the Quake engine's current form. Granted Carmack isn't there anymore but Tech 6 was still started off by him. I think one of the Crytek guys took over after, which can't mean good things for optimization But it's still a whole other thing built on the back of the most optimized engine around in the past. Can't be confused with what they do with Creation for Elder Scrolls and Fallout. That's just a custom branch of the perma-bad Gamebryo engine they're permanently stuck on due to the age and breadth of the code base and has ALWAYS been horrendously optimized and broken as an engine.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

Even Nintendo Life here is saying Doom is 30 FPS. Welp.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/first_impressions_he...

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

So what, people are still going to write off a perfectly playable version of the game now?

Is this going tobrespark the "It shouldnt br portable" debate? Lets be honest if it wasnt portable you wouldnt have even been remotely interested in this announcement anyway.

MsJubilee

@JaxonH Playable for you cause you're used to 30 frames. Many people who are saying "30 FPS is unplayable!" are not. The only time i will ever say "30 frames is unplayable" is for shooters on consoles. 60 frames is essential for that genre. If they can pull it off

Spoony_Tech

If you notice when the video starts DF had no blood showing to the left of the main character as he was waking up but this video clearly shows blood scratches near his hand. That tells me DF only was checking the Nintendo Direct stream.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

kobashi100

I think it looks great for the switch. You can see sacrifices have been made for sure. Considering its running on handheld I am impressed. Day 1 for me

kobashi100

kobashi100

@Spoony_Tech they were using screens from the trailer and were saying that in the video.

kobashi100

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic