Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 1,316

maruse

@Curlynob Finally I got it working.
At first it was totally unresponsive, either with the Joy-con grip or in handheld mode, I restarted the Switch and tried again and it didn't work with the Joy-con grip, but it worked in handheld mode... Weird problem... But anyway, I could get beyond the End User Agreement screen and now all buttons work fine.

Nickname/user name: マノロ

Switch Friend Code: SW-0173-2422-2348 | 3DS Friend Code: 1693-6257-5220 | Nintendo Network ID: maruse

Reignmaker

Found a bug where the menu system in handheld can't be navigated. Pretty annoying. Needs to be patched.

Reignmaker

carlos82

I haven't had any issues navigating in handheld or the user agreement, is this after switching between docked and handheld as this can cause issues for several games? Usually you just need to reassign the controllers. I can't confirm the joycon grip issue because I only use the pro controller when docked

carlos82

Switch Friend Code: SW-5967-3221-9309 | My Nintendo: Carlos

rallydefault

@Reignmaker
Agreed. Patch needed for the sound bug while docked, as well. Happened to me a few times while playing - very annoying.

rallydefault

Hyrule

Crikey some of the later levels are tough. SPOILER ALERTS, for those that haven't got that far.

Are you still reading? I did say spoiler alert....

You're still reading despite the above spoiler alerts, ok

Defeating the Cyberdemon the first time round, before you get transported into hell. Wasn't too bad until you run out of BFG ammo.lol

Then round two with the Cyberdemon, in hell. Again low on BFG ammo, and when he traps you between the pillars, fires the waves at you or the succession of rockets. Phew. Took me a good couple of tries.

Still very much enjoying the game though.

Hyrule

Switch Friend Code: SW-7459-0389-4683 | Nintendo Network ID: HyruleMage | Twitter:

Spanjard

@Hyrule Haha, that made me chuckle! I was so intrigued to read further down!

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Hyrule

@Spanjard Haha, I aim to please. This is my first time playing the 2016 release of Doom, as I never picked it when it was originally released, so I'd hate to read about later levels and the storyline if I hadn't gotten there yet But this game has me hooked. Everytime I think, i'll take a break, I'm like nah I need to see what's next lol.

Hyrule

Switch Friend Code: SW-7459-0389-4683 | Nintendo Network ID: HyruleMage | Twitter:

JunkRabbit

Not sure if this has maybe been asked before, so please bear with me.

Does anyone else have a problem with the dead zones of the sticks in this game (JoyCon as well as Pro Controller)? It seems that there's really a VERY long way to go before the controls react, making fine tuning of your aim virtually impossible (at least for me). Skyrim for example has only a minimal dead zone (if at all?), and controls much better, the finest adjustments and slowest movements are possible. This makes playing Doom more of a chore for me than it should be... I tried various sensitivity and "smoothing" settings (whatever that is), but to no avail. Must I just live with it and get used to this, or can this in fact be adjusted somewhere and I just haven't found it?

JunkRabbit

FX102A

@JunkRabbit This does worry me, this is why I couldn't play Deus Ex or RE Revelations on the Wii U; games where ammo conservation and quick kills were important. Though for a fast paced run and gun FPS maybe less so.

Overall I am currently thinking of waiting for a patch to fix all the little niggles before buying.

FX102A

JunkRabbit

@FX102A
Of course, Doom is not about slow movements, but if it get's hectic, you still need to fine-tune your aim (what I currently need to do is fine-tune with strafing as much as with right-stick aim: to compensate)... I'm still wondering if it's only me though. And why none of the reviews I've read or heard or watched seem to have caught that. I might be more sensitive to such things than others maybe (who knows?), but certainly not by that much...? Let's see what others say.

Otherwise it's just as great as they say.

JunkRabbit

Spoony_Tech

@FX102A Ammo really isn't an issue once you get the chainsaw. That gives you a ton of ammo on kills. You can find one pretty early in the game.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

JaxonH

Haven't had an issue with any dead zones. Customization for turn speed and acceleration via look smoothing allowed me to find a sweet spot. Plus, need to strafe to help aim.

I'm no rookie when it comes to FPS on handheld or systems with smaller analogs. Strafing is the key.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Y'S VIII, Octopath Traveller, Shining Resonance Refrain, Captain Toad, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Dragon Age Origins, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

JunkRabbit

@JaxonH
Watched some of the stream you embedded above (Thanks, quite interesting), and it looks much like I'm playing right now (lol). Still quite a bit of oversteering there with the shotgun... So it's definitely not only me. I think I'll get used to it, and it's really not unplayable, that for sure, but controls COULD be more refinded (or allow more customization), especially with the Pro Controller. In fact, I even think it plays a little better with the JoyCon (separated or handheld, not with the grip), because the dead zone seems to be smaller... Well, back to playing, instead of writing about it! Have fun with it everyone!

JunkRabbit

JaxonH

@JunkRabbit
Ya I love the Joycon. One in each hand- that's how I play all but a small handful of Switch games.

It's just so liberating and flexible and comfortable. And the HD rumble and motion really shine when split apart.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Y'S VIII, Octopath Traveller, Shining Resonance Refrain, Captain Toad, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Dragon Age Origins, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

JunkRabbit

@JaxonH
My thoughts exactly. I love them, too. Splatoon is one of the few exceptions that control better/easier with the Pro imo, and if it wasn't for the dead zone issue Doom would too, I believe, but otherwise I love using the JoyCon and prefer them, as they snuggly fit into a relaxed hand position (like in a cradle) and allow for a relaxed position with hands apart on the couch (making changing position much easier, too). So comfy!

JunkRabbit

OorWullie

I love theJoy-con, I use them for nearly every game I have but when playing a game that I need to constantly move the camera quickly I really struggle. Those games are Splatoon 2 and Doom.For those 2 it has to be the Pro or my skill level drops drastically. I've tried to get used to playing Splatoon 2 in handheld but I always get absolutely slaughtered. So it's a strictly on the TV with the Pro game for me. I do fair a little better with Doom in handheld mode but nah, I've got the Pro so I might as well use it . I've tried to play it with separate Joy-con but nope, can't get used to it. I'm playing Doom on the TV whenever I can but when I can't, I move to tabletop mode with the Pro and it's superb. Love the flexibility and Switch offers where I have the option to do even do that. I've got my always in handheld games, my always on TV games, and my ever more frequent use of tabletop mode. Those options couple with the many different control set ups such as Odyssey and Kart with split Joy-con,vertical mode for Strikers 1945 and Gunbarich and soon Pinball FX3 and numerous Psikyo shooters and Pro for my shooters make the Switch the first console I've actually loved just for the hardware. All my previous consoles were just about the games.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Curlybobs

My copy of Doom is waiting at home for me this evening. I'm hoping that the hours I put in mastering the diddy sticks on Vita for Killzone Mercenary will stand my in good stead - although Killzone did support gyro aiming...

Friend code: SW-4624-7969-8089

OorWullie

@Curlynob Enjoy, it's an incredible game. The way I'm feeling about it just now,it could end up being one of the best games I've ever played and that's not something I say lightly. I'm only on the 4th stage too. It has made a huge impression on me so far and from what I understand, the best is yet to come.

Before starting, I recommend turning off the Chromatic Abberation, it's set to on as default and I've no idea why as it looks so much better without it. When playing on TV I have 'motion blur' at medium and 'look smoothing' at 50% but I lower them for tabletop mode, so it looks sharper. Those settings are really a matter of preference though.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

carlos82

@JunkRabbit the dead zone are certainly bigger than Skyrims and it makes perfect aiming tricky on the joycons, I've never had an issue on the Pro controller though. If you look in the settings the 2 controllers have different presets, I just matched the joycons to the Pro settings and found it much better but you can't actually change the famed zone. Luckily this game is so fast paced that it isn't much of an issue, certainly later on where you'll constantly be on the go and I just tend to strafe to make any adjustments just like the original Doom

carlos82

Switch Friend Code: SW-5967-3221-9309 | My Nintendo: Carlos

JunkRabbit

@carlos82
Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah, I saw that the settings for the different control settings save separately, which is a very good thing (thought-through). I still have less issues with handheld mode (surprisingly) than with the Pro Controller on the TV, but as expected I'm also getting used to it somewhat. I would of course prefer to be able to move slowly (during exploration, not much use for that during combat, lol) and aim more precisely, but it's not unplayable either.Another couple of hours, and my muscle memory will probably remember where the sweet spots in the sticks are, and it will get easier. It always does. Back to splatting some demons.

PS: For TV play I plan to pick it up on a Steam sale when it drops below 10 EUR anyway. I am enjoying it handheld as it is, and am looking forward to replaying it in g(l)orious 4K 60fps Ultra setting in a couple of years...

JunkRabbit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic