Forums

Topic: Question of the Day

Posts 5,126 to 5,145 of 8,464

misswliu81

i don't mind them in foreign films, as i need to understand what they are saying in their language but in english.

but sometimes, i find it hard to focus on reading subtitles whilst watching the scenes of the movie at the same time because my eyes drift from the scenes to the bottom of the screen.

having subtitles is really useful for those hard of hearing or of whom are deaf, as they can just look and read the words in their head.

misswliu81

3Daniel

i have no issues with subtitles except when it becomes difficult to read white on white or yellow on white. i also don't mind bad dubbing however. even if the dub, or subtitles, are inaccurate in translation you usually get a good idea on the story. happy negative chainsaw love, i butchered the title sorry!!!, 13 assassins, ashura and countless others are beautiful movies that shouldn't be ignored because they aren't in english. i also really loved babel more so without subtitles and dubbing then with them despite the majority of the movie being in different languages.

ADD: when it comes to videogames it can be quite jarring when a character offscreen starts speaking and the subtitles make no indication that this is happening. especially when there isnt any voice acting. usually you figure it out quite quickly but its annoying.

Edited on by 3Daniel

3DS FC 2878-9587-9759
3Daniel - 3DS tag/wiiu id/colors id
wawigi #1

BleachFan

Whenever I hear someone talking about a foreign film, they'll often end by saying, "But you know, there's subtitles, so you're going to have to read..."

I've never given subtitles that much thought. If they're there, I'm naturally going to read them and won't be bugged in the slightest by it. I can't imagine someone getting butthurt because they're forced to "read" while watching a movie...

I'm working on a game that's coming out soon!
Cipher Trailer

Birdman

Foreign movies - Since I can't divulge dialogue from non-verbal cues at a rate effective enough to also comprehend the movie, yes.
English-language movies - Since dialogue is often clear, as I can't imagine many people would like to go to a movie where they can't understand what is going on, no.
Video games - Depends. If there are a lot of sound effects like explosions, gunfire and ambient noise that could make me miss a crucial hint (Battle of Khe Sanh in BlOps, anyone?), totally, but I don't need (or want, for that matter) them in something like a Mario game.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

Wildvine53

The only time I used subtitles was when i went to see The Artist. lol

Wildvine53

3DS Friend Code: 2878-9589-2016 | Nintendo Network ID: Wildvine53

Link977

Thanks to Jibberldd5 for the question!

Question #278: If you could be in any videogame, which one would you be in?

I guess this is more of a broad question, since you arent necessarily going to be a certain character... but it works

Formerly PurpleLink, RedLink & OrdonianLink
Getting a Gold Mushroom on Rainbow Road is just asking to lose!
Backloggery
Question of the Day

3DS Friend Code: 5412-9901-0836 | Nintendo Network ID: Link977

Retro_on_theGo

I think there was a question similar to this already. Anyways, I probably couldn't pick. Too many awesome worlds. Maybe Smash Bros.? Since then, technically, I could go over to another character's world and back. Some world 1-1 action, Green Hill Zone, and finish with a stealthy inspection of Shadow Mosses. Or something.

Tasuki

RedLink wrote:

Another Daily Dose of your wonderful, yet ever-so-lame questions!

Question #277: What is your opinion on subtitles while watching a movie?

It depends if its a Japanese Anime I hate it if I want that I will just read the manga. If its a little bit like a character that's speaking a foreign language in a scene in the movie then it doesn't bother me too much.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Splat

RedLink wrote:

Question #278: If you could be in any videogame, which one would you be in?

Monster Hunter Tri.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

TeeJay

Since the title is the previous question, I'll answer that one. I like subtitles. Sometimes depending on the scene, the characters may be talking too fast/screamy/quietly/quickly for me to catch what they said, so subtitles are welcome.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

GameLord08

Dark_TeeJay wrote:

Since the title is the previous question, I'll answer that one. I like subtitles. Sometimes depending on the scene, the characters may be talking too fast/screamy/quietly/quickly for me to catch what they said, so subtitles are welcome.

GameLord08

Link977

I guess there was a question already like last one's, I would try to find it, but I'd have to browse through 264 pages or less... but still... sorry I guess?

Question #279: If you had to re-name NintendoLife, what would you change the name to?

Formerly PurpleLink, RedLink & OrdonianLink
Getting a Gold Mushroom on Rainbow Road is just asking to lose!
Backloggery
Question of the Day

3DS Friend Code: 5412-9901-0836 | Nintendo Network ID: Link977

LordTendoboy

Fanboy Central

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

BlueToad

MiracleBlaze wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

IHaveNo Life

3DS Friend Code: 5413-1202-1179
Nintendo Network ID: fpjc122
Australian :)

3DS Friend Code: 5413-1202-1179 | Nintendo Network ID: fpjc122 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.