Weirdness: There's a Fish That Plays Pokémon

Posted by Karen Halloran

Magikarp breathes a sigh of relief (at least we think that was a sigh)

Today's entrant in the annals of human achievement comes courtesy of Twitch TV, in the form of a motion-tracked fantail betta playing Pokémon Red/Blue using virtualised Game Boy controls. The fish, one Grayson Hopper, has apparently been playing (or "swimming aimlessly in his bowl", if you prefer) for over one hundred and twenty-five hours. Mr. Hopper's sole companion so far is his trusty charmander AAAABBK, with whom Mr. Hopper has already lain waste to his rival's squirtle.

Witness the meditative quality of Mr. Hopper calmly swimming around and occasionally, if accidentally, causing something to happen:

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Are you warming up to incomprehensibility as a battle tactic or has that always been your go-to? In awe of Grayson's proficiency with the menu system, or could your very own Mr. Gurgles beat the pants off of this fish? Let us know in the comments!

Thanks to ace ichthyologists Octane and 9th_Sage for identifying Grayson Hopper's breed.

[via twitch.tv]

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Its is most assuming watching the Twitch chat, think the fish died every few minutes or go nuts because of a single button press.

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

Yeah, Mr Grayson is clearly a Betta. :) A fantail betta, if I'm not mistaken.
Haha, Mr Grayson...Grayson Hopper I mean.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

one of my streams on twitch got flagged for copyright. lol it kind of baffled me as twitch is a site for streaming video games.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I'm willing to bet that fish will literally play Pokémon 'til death.

Porky

Porky said:

"Get the Flash Player to see this player", but I'm on my Android..

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Porky
What version are you on? Official flash support for Android has been abandoned since 4.0 with it being completely removed in 4.4.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Porky
It's either not installed, or you're on KitKat, which has completely removed Flash support on Android. There's also the fact that Chrome browser simply doesn't support it at all. If you're sure you have flash installed, try another browser like Dolphin.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

So, I think the fish is dead.

So there is now a video of a fish dying while playing Pokemon.

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

@MasterWario Bettas are often kept in small bowls with no filtration or bubblers. This looks like a small betta drum bowl. Looks like there is a cord in there, so that might be some kind of under-gravel filter. (Edit: Nah, it's probably a heater.) I think it's better to keep bettas in larger tanks with filtration, but it's fine to keep them in a small bowl if the owner does a water change at least every other day. This fish looks healthy, so I think he's well cared for. My own betta is in a five gallon tank with filtration and live plants. I make sure the filter's spraybar is turned sideways to cause enough surface agitation that I don't need a bubbler in the tank. Plus the plants help. They give off oxygen. :)

Anyway, this fishplayspokemon thing is hilarious. That is a pretty betta, too. It's funny that everyone thinks the fish is dead when it doesn't move. It's a betta, they like to sit still for long periods. They aren't very active fish. This LP is going to take a VEEEEERRRRY long time. (I freakin' love bettas, if it isn't obvious)

Swiket

Swiket said:

They should leave the middle box empty and but the down button at the button. The fish shouldn't have to hit the down button just to reach left or right.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

This is awesome, better to occasionally glance at than TPP imo. Though every time the fish falls asleep I think the stream froze. :P

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

@Porky - No no no. It's not your Flash player. It's your Fish player that needs updating. Simply flush your previous version and install Tuna-Up v.1.0.1. This should work for all platforms (except Mackeral). ;)

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@Grumblevolcano lol, that's dumb. From the looks of it, if you are currently streaming, it won't mute but once you save the video, it will... unless I understood that wrong. I'd be pissed if the sound got muted in the middle of an active stream.

@MasterWario
That's a beta, it doesn't need much, just so long as you change the water regularly, it'll be fine and healthy. To be honest, there are a lot of fish that don't actually need it and they'll be fine. The most common one that will need it will probably be gold fish but... Goldfish suck and are just trash to your water. Probably for my fish tank, my gold fish were the most dirty fish I have ever had.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

Nope. Not wasting another second watching somebody else play pokemon. (very slowly I might add)