Play & Win: Join the UK Mario Kart 8 Championship First Heat - Today!

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Qualification for the grand final is up for grabs

The time has finally come for the first heat of the Mario Kart 8 Championship 2014 in the UK, which we're running in association with the Nintendo Official UK Store. It's all in aid of a quest to find the country's fastest Mario Kart 8 racer, and to have some fun at the same time.

This Championship will have four online qualification heats, with the top three in each of those Tournaments then progressing to the live final at EGX London on Saturday 27th September. It's worth remembering that those that qualify will receive travel and accommodation expenses for the event, so even if you weren't planning to go to EGX this could be your ticket in.

The first Heat is upon us, kicking off today; it'll bring us our first three EGX finalists. Participants must be using a UK Wii U, with the key details below.

Time

TODAY! (Saturday, 16th August 2014) Takes place between 4:00pm and 8:00pm UK time

Tournament Code

2876-5853-5012

Rules

150cc, All items, All control methods, Hard CPU, switch groups every four races.

There will be multiple prizes on offer at the EGX finale, though the grand prize is worth racing for — the winner receives a boxed copy of every new game published by Nintendo for Wii U which is released in the calendar year following 27th September, £100 of Nintendo eShop credit and more.

For full details of the event, advice on multiple entrants using the same Wii U, and to register so that you receive email reminders for the next three online heats, head on over to the Championship hub page; you can also contact us with any enquiries that aren't answered there.

Best of luck!

S3OL

S3OL said:

I cannot wait! Watch out for me guys, I'll be using a Mii called Alan that looks kinda like an alien. Have fun and good luck!

jefflemon

jefflemon said:

How does the point system work? Do I just race in 16 races or can I race for the full four hour window and get loads of points?

Meuz

Meuz said:

"It's all in aid of a quest to find the country's fastest Mario Kart 8 racer" - Being fast is only a small part of MK online, maybe 20%. It's mostly luck. Luck that you won't find yourself stuck mid-pack and being bombarded with items, and luck that the game won't give you a lower result than you actually finished in.

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

All this did was remind me how unbalanced this game is and that I don't have any fun with it unless I'm with my friends.
Made it about four races and then I just stopped.

Good luck to everybody else though.

Mr_Rawky

Mr_Rawky said:

I'm playing, and I just can't catch a break with this. Every time I go into first place, I get hit by a red shell, followed immediately by a blue shell. EVERY TIME!!! It's enough to send someone over the edge.

EDIT: It happened AGAIN!! TWICE IN THE SAME RACE!!! It was Twisted Mansion if any of you recall sending blue shells X 2 my way.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

I got annihilated on N64 Rainbow Road, it seems that when you're doing well people will go out of their way to target you even if leads to them falling off or slowing down drastically afterwards. I'm currently 4th but I really doubt I'll last long in the top 20.

RIC616

RIC616 said:

That's me done. After a decidedly average performance I'm off to watch the footy.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Should make top 20 just not top 3 this time though I'm not to bummed just means I get to play again. :D

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@Grumblevolcano I was wrong got Blue Shelled twice in my 14th match finished 3rd then again blue shelled twice and finished 3rd ended with 205 and just missed out.

S3OL

S3OL said:

There was a really nice guy in one of my races called Matt. He cheered me on and was a great sport.

Finished with majority firsts apart from one 8th that was absolutely unavoidable. I've made the top 10. I can't wait for the next heat!

Sakura

Sakura said:

Nah! rubbish again with 47 points, highest place in any race 5. Terrible,

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

Damn, if my 8th on N64 Rainbow Road and 3rd on Thwomp Ruins that followed were 1st instead, I'd be into the final. At least this has shown me I may have a chance! :)

dazza176

dazza176 said:

The 2races that I finished badly in were against a Dutch guy and then a guy from Finland in another race.. People seem to avoid all my items if they're far away from the UK and it's twice as hard to do well against them. Shame there's no option to make the tournament UK only.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Well I didn't finish my full 16, think I got to 117 by the end of my 10th race and thought better of trying to beat the rest of these guys who were too good. One race I was really mad with! Mario Kart has always made me invent new swear word combinations but honestly I had one round on Grumble Volcano (which I hate anyway) and all I got were coins and single mushrooms, from every item box. I was in 10th at one point and it gave me coins..............needless to say I'm thankful my TV is still alive.