Art: Controller Evolution Photo Series Hammers Home The Nintendo Factor

Posted by Damien McFerran

A visual record of how Nintendo has pushed the industry forward

Nintendo has been responsible for some major innovations when it comes to controllers — the NES D-pad, the N64 analogue stick, the Wii Remote — and Spanish artist Javier Laspiur has put together a photographic whistle-stop tour of the evolution of the game pad which shows just how vital the Kyoto firm's contributions have been.

Laspiur's artfully captured images show off controllers for other systems too, of course — Sega's Mega Drive and Sony's PlayStation feature — but it's impossible to ignore how Nintendo has moved the industry forward with its own efforts, and how rival hardware makers have subsequently imitated over the years.

You can check out the full set here, but below we've showcased the Nintendo systems only — there's no 3DS or Wii U, sadly.

[via gonintendo.com, behance.net]

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

Am I the only person who's first thought was "Wow, those are some really hairy arms," for many of those pictures?

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I love how the D-pad and A and B have been in EVERY Nintendo controller EVER. It's amazing how one person's quick pitch for a controller can dictate how video games will be made for the next 20 years.

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

One thing about the Wii controller picture is how close the Nunchuk and the Wiimote are to each other. The picture hides one "hidden" feature I really liked about this combination: it allows for a much more "open" posture for playing by not forcing the hands to grasp the same small piece of plastic in front of you..

Aviator

Aviator said:

@SPG Something the article failed to point out, the photos are when he played the system for the first time.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

@Damo Maybe you should mention in the article that the dates are when he first played the systems. Otherwise you are going to lots of the years are wrong posts followed by an equal amount of replies stating what the dates actually are.

Then again you will still have people who just look at the headline and pics commenting.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I think the pro controller is a step backwards at least for many of the Wii U games I am playing.

(The guide thing that the Gamecube / Classic Controller / Classic Controller Pro / nunchuck had I liked).

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

Nintendo lost me as a customer because of the N64 controller, the SNES controller was so great and instead to continue to improve it (which is what Sony did) they decided to go with weird gimmicky controllers

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

Dipper723

Dipper723 said:

The dates on some of these are wrong.
NES - 1985, Super Famicom - 1990, GCN - 2001, DS - 2004, Wii - 2006.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@PorllM Maybe he's playing Killer Instinct? ;)

I actually played N64 like that on LOADS of titles, including ISS 64 / J-League Perfect Striker. I found it more better for many games.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

@dipper723 I think he alternates between region, dont know why though.

NES came out in '86 for EU, but N64 came out in '97 for EU and '96 for NA.

Just saw the whole set and all I wanted to say is: R.I.P. Dreamcast :[

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I don't think the GameCube controller pushed the industry forward. The others did, but the GameCube didn't allow for the same degree of control as the other controllers. The only thing it had going for it was comfort.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

I can't wait for you kids to grow up and get body hair. ;)

HaNks

HaNks said:

nintendo forgot about ergonomics in their handhelds after the gba/ds phat. the 3ds/3ds xl in particular is a big step back in this regard. gamecube pad is GOAT, just needs a few adjustments to make it the ultimate controller. hopefully they revisit and refine that design in the future.

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

Really like this, so nostalgic but I wish he did add the gba, 3ds and wiiu that would be perfect

AltarOfMyEgo

AltarOfMyEgo said:

I still remember that feeling when I got my N64 back in '97 for christmas... I was 7 years old. It was the happiest moment of my life; when video games shifted to another dimension. Now let's wait and see what Morpheus has in its guts! Or maybe Nintendo will come up with something "better"?

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

Don't forget the SNES shoulder buttons. It's always been part of getting a new Nintendo console, the control pad. I love the original Wii classic controller.

The Wiiu fell down because of its controllers. IMO

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Some of the dates are wrong, even I know the Wii launch in 2006 (unless you lived in Korea or South America).

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@PorllM My thoughts as well. Everyone knows the nice large D-pad was never used. If you gamed on the N64 you used the first true analog joystick.

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

Wow! His arms look hairier than mine! But then again, he has dark hair on his arms and I have brown.